News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Broken torsion bar?

Started by professor-patrick, September 30, 2005, 12:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

professor-patrick

I think I've found my problem with the torsion bar.  It wiggles around just inside the frame mount - like it's broken.  Does this happen???  Any advice on changing a torsion bar would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Lead Designer - Scotlea Hot Rods
www.scotlea.com

Ghoste

Generally, a broken torsion bar wil result in the car sitting MUCH lower on one side.  It shouldn't be moving around in there though, the thing is supposed to be under tension.  To remove it, you'll need to back the adjuster bolt in the bottom of the lower control arm all the way off.  Then remove the clip in in the back and remove it through the crossmember.  It may be stuck in there and if it is, it isn't a good idea to clamp vise grips on there and start pounding with a hammer.  There is a proper tool to clamp it to knock it back but if it is already loose in the mount, you will likely be able to push it right out.

professor-patrick

Thanks.  It does sit MUCH lower - in fact all the way lower to where there is no longer any tension on the bar at all - I think when it broke, it twisted itself loose or something.  I have a piece of 2x2 square tubing on top of the rubber bumper on the lower a-arm to hold the car up so I can move it (not driving it).
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Lead Designer - Scotlea Hot Rods
www.scotlea.com

69fuchs

It sounds like the frame mount has broken, or is rusted out. Has the car had any rust issues?   If the torsion bar is broken, it will likely be in two pieces. (broken in half not just loose in the mounting hole)   Also, It is much more likely to have a problem at the rear part of the torsion bar mount-at the rear crossmember under your front seat.   The crossmember and round mount should be solid and one piece. If the round part is loose, the weld is broken or it is rusted through.   It can be repaired, but you will need to find an experienced fabricator to do the job correctly. Aaron