News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cast crank or forged???

Started by metcoll, February 26, 2008, 08:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metcoll

is there anyway to tell if my 440 is a cast or forged motor... the motor was built several years ago....i know the block is a 77...i had the motor built by National  machined engine in detroit they found the motor......the dampner is about one inch thick...i have seen the cast unit ones  that are about double the thickness...if my dampner is one inch thick does this mean that this is a forged crank motor...any input would be greatly appreciated...

Rayzor

I have noticed on the cast crank motors the outside edge of the of the harmonic balancer has a bevel to it The forged crak balancers are level accross. hope that makes sense   

hemihead

IMO people make way too much out of the Forged or Cast Crank issue. Unless you are making 700 or 800 hp either crank will be just fine for putting to the car show at 35 MPH . Or is it just one of the " bragging rights " things ?  :shruggy:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

firefighter3931

Quote from: metcoll on February 26, 2008, 08:04:29 PM
is there anyway to tell if my 440 is a cast or forged motor... the motor was built several years ago....i know the block is a 77...i had the motor built by National  machined engine in detroit they found the motor......the dampner is about one inch thick...i have seen the cast unit ones  that are about double the thickness...if my dampner is one inch thick does this mean that this is a forged crank motor...any input would be greatly appreciated...

Unless the shop managed to internally balance the rotating assembly with  super light pistons i would think that it's a forged crank.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Troy

Quote from: hemihead on February 26, 2008, 11:31:40 PM
IMO people make way too much out of the Forged or Cast Crank issue. Unless you are making 700 or 800 hp either crank will be just fine for putting to the car show at 35 MPH . Or is it just one of the " bragging rights " things ?  :shruggy:
Thanks for answering the question. :eyes:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

CornDogsCharger

Forged crank has a very crude and rough mold line (usually more than an inch wide) on the counter weights.  The cast crank has a nice clean mold line less than 1/8 inch wide.  If you post a clear picture of the crank I can tell you. 

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Nacho-RT74

he is trying to know from exterior, without rrmove oil pan or anything
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

CornDogsCharger

The cast crank is externally balanced whereas the forged crank is internally balanced.  If you inspect the torqe converter the little weld on weights are randomly placed.  When using a forged crank, the little weights will be evenly spaced out.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee