News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Initial run on new leafs and shocks

Started by Ghoste, September 30, 2005, 03:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Well, I did a quick test run this afternoon with the new Hemi leaf springs from Eaton Detroit Spring.  So far, I like them a lot.  They seem to make the car feel less squirrelly on the launch and it does corner better as well.  Both of those things I expected, what I didn't expect is that the ride quality does not seem to have suffered at all.  This could be related to the shocks.  I'm not sure yet what I think of the shocks.  I picked up a pair of Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable drag shocks.  I have started with them set for 50/50 but they seem a little soft.  Almost bouncy or worn out with normal driving.  I know that statement flies in the face of what I wrote about the springs but I guess I'm analyzing two different things really.
I'll have to fuel it up and give it a good workout this weekend to really decide.

Chryco Psycho

Ghoste

Took it out again last night just for a short drive.  It seemed a little less bouncy so perhaps there was still some air in those shocks that needed to be worked out.  The shocks still seem less in control than the old ones.  The leafs make a big difference.  The ride part has me curious though.  The ride should be harder.  It corners flatter and leaves straighter.  Then again maybe I just never paid attention to ride quality before.

Chryco Psycho

the front of the spring controls traction , the rear controls the ride , it is very possiblt to increase stability & handling as well as traction but maintain decent ride quality with the asymetrical design used by Mopar

Ghoste

I never knew that.  I guess that explains the half leaves on the forward  section of the side that takes the most abuse.
What's your take on the shocks?

Chryco Psycho

the shocks could feel losse just from not being a gas charged shock

Ghoste

Which is not an indication of their being in control, right?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 01, 2005, 12:05:03 PM
the front of the spring controls traction , the rear controls the ride , it is very possiblt to increase stability & handling as well as traction but maintain decent ride quality with the asymetrical design used by Mopar

:iagree:  Have a look at the Mounting pad location on the springs. You'll notice that the front segment is much shorter than the rear segment. This was purposely designed by the engineers to create a stiifer front segment and avoid wheelhop and other traction related issues. Having the axle biased towards the front is a huge advantage.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Well I knew they were assymetrical.  I just never really considered the why of it before.