News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering coupling question.....

Started by C500, October 01, 2005, 01:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Hi guys,
I just bought a steering coupling rebuild kit for my 68 Charger. I needed it because the other one had popped apart with bits missing. The question is what is the tiny wee bit needed for? Is it even needed? The guy I got the kit from told me it fits many cars and not all parts are needed.
Thanks.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Chryco Psycho

the large soild pin replaces the pin in the steering shaft , the roll pin replaces the pin that holds the coupler onto the steering box , the tiny knurld pin is pressed into the top of the coupler to prevent the shaft & shoes from being pulled out of the coupler , the shoes only fit one way into the coupler body , the spring sits to one side of the shaft & puts tension behind the shoes , all the parts are used 

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

C500

I am still confused as to where the knurled pin goes. I cant find anywhere on the coupler for it to press into. This auction says that part is not used on 60's cars:   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Mopar-Steering-Coupling-Repair-Kit-STOP-the-SLOP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34200QQitemZ4579276493QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW 
There is also no mention of it here:
http://www.mopar4sale.com/tsb1.htm 
so if its not used, what prevents the shoes from sliding out?

Ghoste

It's a few years since I did mine but I don't remember any knurled pin.  I think the only thing holding the shoes in on mine is the cover and the clamp.

Chryco Psycho

there should be a small hole near the top of the coupler on one side to pervent the shoes from sliding out , you can always drill a hole for it