News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Body Kit. from Ted Janex

Started by BigBlockSam, November 20, 2007, 12:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

I dont know if this daytona scoop is a left or a right .Its a promo piece Ted made for me. I took it to shows with me
\

.I did have a lower valance with slight damage but old moparz got it from me
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hotrod98

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 20, 2007, 09:17:10 PM
QuoteI think that for the money, the Janek wing is right up there with the hollow aluminum wing and much cheaper.

Dude! it might be a great wing, for a  fiberglass  wing but you can't compare it to a aluminum wing . i know we're not gonna do 200 mph but an aluminum wing is closer to an original and will function more like an original . to me a fiberglass wing takes value away from the car. money wise i had to settle for a fiberglass nose but the money difference isn't that much. go for the aluminum .  :Twocents:
Rene

Too late. It's already on the car. Besides, Howie made me a deal that I couldn't refuse. ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 20, 2007, 10:40:29 PM
Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 20, 2007, 09:17:10 PM
QuoteI think that for the money, the Janek wing is right up there with the hollow aluminum wing and much cheaper.

Dude! it might be a great wing, for a  fiberglass  wing but you can't compare it to a aluminum wing . i know we're not gonna do 200 mph but an aluminum wing is closer to an original and will function more like an original . to me a fiberglass wing takes value away from the car. money wise i had to settle for a fiberglass nose but the money difference isn't that much. go for the aluminum .  :Twocents:
Rene

Too late. It's already on the car. Besides, Howie made me a deal that I couldn't refuse. ;D

Lookin' Good, Larry!

Both the shop AND the car ! :2thumbs:

hotrod98

Thanks. As soon as the paint booth is in place, the fun begins. My wife wants me to finish her bird clone first, but I'm leaning towards finishing the Daytona clone first. I'll bet she wins.
All of this while working on customer's cars at the same time. The plan is to work on customer's cars Monday through Thursday and then work on my cars Friday through Sunday as time allows. I have to have a plan or my cars will never get finished.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

looks good Bro , that big wing on the back of a charger always gets me excited . who makes an aluminum superbird wing? besides dayclona. Rene

we need some new pics of your shop .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Howie

Don`t know about an aluminum superbird wing but Dane makes the best looking hollow aluminum wing. I had to have one for my nascar creation. It is a work of love and art. It is a little heavier than the janak wing but worth it to me. I wanted to bring it to St Louis but was unable to. It is truly an awsome piece. Larry now has my janak wing as you can see by his pics.

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 20, 2007, 09:21:03 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on November 20, 2007, 03:23:40 PM
Quote from: Johnny Daytona on November 20, 2007, 02:57:32 PM
Give a honest answer and you get accused of having a brown nose and sweaty cheeks.
  i wasnt refuring to his quality although my wing washers sucked for my bird  flemsy but he charged me 35.00 for special packaging and shipping on them.  Then i got an old fridge box cut out and the parts rolled up in it , with leafs and pine needles for packing. JUst my  :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents: 

That's funny. His yard is full of pine trees. I lived in Spring Texas back in the 80's, just a few miles from him. Pine trees are everywhere.
yeah charged me 35.00 for special packing  and used free pine needles,  i just have to laugh every time i here his name
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Howie

Hey Stuart, That is special texas pine needles packin. Better than popcorn :smilielol:.

moparstuart

Quote from: Howie on November 21, 2007, 10:33:35 AM

Hey Stuart, That is special texas pine needles packin. Better than popcorn :smilielol:.
oh sorry i guess i should have known

oldcarnut

QuoteSo what speed is high speed 

over 100mph . some wings shake.

I didn'rt realize the glass wings shook and did that.  I haven't seen how any of them were built except one pic of a wing someone was selling that looked like it had long studs molded into the fiberglass.  Just want to make sure it doesn't happen to to me.  Thanks hotrod for explaining some of the differences.  Guess I got a lot to learn but its good info. to get hold of.

moparstuart

Quote from: oldcarnut on November 21, 2007, 11:21:08 AM

I didn'rt realize the glass wings shook and did that.  I haven't seen how any of them were built except one pic of a wing someone was selling that looked like it had long studs molded into the fiberglass.  Just want to make sure it doesn't happen to to me.  Thanks hotrod for explaining some of the differences.  Guess I got a lot to learn but its good info. to get hold of.
that wing causes a hell of alot of down force   wing should really be properly installed/supported to run high speeds

Troy

Quote from: moparstuart on November 21, 2007, 12:42:45 PM
Quote from: oldcarnut on November 21, 2007, 11:21:08 AM

that wing causes a hell of alot of down force   wing should really be properly installed/supported to run high speeds

I disagree - to a point. If you set it right it will generate zero lift and zero down force. Just don't drive at 150 mph with it at 12 degrees down (or up!!!) and you should be fine. Judging from my experience this summer most of them will never see the high side of 30 mph....

There's a reason the wing cars weren't used extensively on short tracks right? Probably because there's little or no benefit from the aero package at low(er) speeds? How many guys (truly) will have their cars much above the posted limit - under their own power?

I'd also like to see proof that the repro wings really have this problem (rather than hearsay and rumors).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hotrod98

I'll bet money that my Janek wing will never shake at the speeds that I'll be driving.
If you think that running at 150 mph with a resin wing is going to be a problem, then maybe it would be in your best interest to buy the auminum wing as well as the steel nose and z-braces.
Seems like the guys bragging about their aluminum wings are all running fiberglass noses.
Besides, just how big is that motor going to have to be to push that 4000 lb brick to over 150 mph?  ;D
As for functionality, that big wing on my alcohol dragster did absolutely nothing for downforce until I reached speeds of over 150 mph. And even then it was not really doing a whole lot until I reached 180 mph or so. Ever notice that the super comp dragsters that are running 150 mph quit using wings a few years ago. There's a reason for that. The wings were casuing more drag than downforce and that was with a 1200 lb car.   
And Tony's right, with the blade set at zero, it's not going to do very much anyway. There's not a whole lot of difference in the length of the two sides (top and bottom) of a Daytona wing. It's the difference in the distance that the air moves across the surfaces of the wing that produces lift or negative lift (downforce). The biggest advantage to the wings on the stock cars was that those big uprights helped stabalize the cars and the air was moving across that wing at 200 mph. Also remember, the wing on the stock cars were not fixed in the level position as it will be on most of our cars. Just my 2 cents worth.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteI'd also like to see proof that the repro wings really have this problem (rather than hearsay and rumors).

i read about that in a winged warrior article many yrs ago . it did not say what maker wing it was . I've also seen cracked and broken fiberglass wings on ebay . I've also discussed, on a differant wing car site. that these cars squat at high speeds . owners have felt that and i don't think they where going 200 mph. so there is downforce on them .
plus real wing car owners use to luv to sit on there wings to prove that it was real. you can do that with the aluminum wing.
  if your building a replica wing car and have a chance to use an aluminum wing over fiberglass. why wouldn't you? it makes the car more correct. plus then all the wing braces in the trunk make sense.
Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Troy

I hadn't seen any evidence of it. I'll go look for some. The nose does provide some down force as well. However, the wing is adjustable so it can be tuned. At high speed it doesn't take much of an angle to generate the down force and at a certain point the increased drag outweighs the benefit (kinda like a parachute). Slower speeds would require a large angle of attack to get any effect. If you set the wing at a high angle and then went really fast I imagine you could break all sorts of things. Lots of new cars have fiberglass or plastic wings and they don't come apart. The difference is that they are set to a flat angle of attack and are just along for the ride. That's what I was getting at.

For what it's worth, the best I can figure is that the factory wing was easily capable of generating 700 pounds of down force. I have no idea if they ever ran them in the configuration to produce it or if the actual aluminum would withstand it. The center is extruded which is much stronger/less brittle than cast so I assume the engineers took that into account.

I'm not saying that fiberglass is fine (or better) but who has actually tested either? Again, I just don't see a lot of clone or wing car owners ever finding out (since the real effect doesn't kick in until 100+). If you plan on traveling at race speed then buy race/factory parts that have been proven. If you're only going to winch your car on and off the trailer then who cares?

Troy

nascarxx29

Never heard about any high speed fiberglass failures on Lee Scilios speed record setting daytona

Classic Unblown Fuel Altered - /CFALT

A The Daytona Charger Lee Sicillo 8/06 248.125

Keep it under 248 MPH
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Troy

Old Moparz

You guys are all forgetting about one, truly important, difference, & that is which wing can pass the knuckle rap test?

There is a distinct sound difference between both wings that will be tested at almost every car show when the owner isn't looking at which Neanderthal is near their car. I can perform this test here at home, but will only have the results for Ted's fiberglass wing, & Dane's solid aluminum wing. Maybe I should bring both wings to Carlisle next year, plan on meeting someone with a hollow wing from Dane so we have a 3 way comparison. Might be good to do this & get a bunch of photos we can post here with the test results.

:D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

69_500

For those who are saying that an alluminum hollow wing is much closer to being origional versus a fiberglass one that Janek makes, does it really matter? To me all that matters is the first 6 digits of the VIN. If it doesn't start XX29L9B, or XX29J9B it doesn't mean diddle squat if it has a fiberglass wing or an alluminum, or a titanium, or solid gold wing.  :cheers:

Figured someone was going to say it.

sick dawg

Quote from: 69_500 on November 21, 2007, 09:08:12 PM
For those who are saying that an aluminum hollow wing is much closer to being original versus a fiberglass one that Janek makes, does it really matter? To me all that matters is the first 6 digits of the VIN. If it doesn't start XX29L9B, or XX29J9B it doesn't mean diddle squat if it has a fiberglass wing or an aluminum, or a titanium, or solid gold wing.  :cheers:

solid gold!!! now you're talking!!! :2thumbs:

hotrod98

Quote from: 69_500 on November 21, 2007, 09:08:12 PM
For those who are saying that an alluminum hollow wing is much closer to being origional versus a fiberglass one that Janek makes, does it really matter? To me all that matters is the first 6 digits of the VIN. If it doesn't start XX29L9B, or XX29J9B it doesn't mean diddle squat if it has a fiberglass wing or an alluminum, or a titanium, or solid gold wing. :cheers:

I spend 30k on a car that I can drive the wheels off of or sell all of my cars and spend 250k on a real wingcar and drive (maybe trailer) it to a wing car meet once or twice a year. I'll just buy some cloner parts and take my 69 out for a drive.  :yesnod:
I sold my real 71 cuda because it sat in the garage while I drove the 71 clone everywhere. (Of course I bought the real cuda back as soon as the new owner got hard up for money.)
I love and respect the real mopar musclecars (I own a few), but I always seem to enjoy the clones a lot more. I guess I'm just different.

Charles Addams

pettybird

Quote from: Old Moparz on November 21, 2007, 08:57:30 PM

There is a distinct sound difference between both wings that will be tested at almost every car show when the owner isn't looking at which Neanderthal is near their car.

I know the sound very well.  If you have crappy paint they knock all sorts of places on the car in front of you.  I want to knock on some of their heads. 

If they ASK first, hell, they can do just about anything they want short of driving it.  It's all in the approach...

69_500

I wasn't meaning that I have a problem with clones, I was just making a point. If your cloning a car, use whatever means you have possible. If you have the fund for a janek piece use it, if you have the money to buy more expensive parts then go for it. I was just saying that regardless if it has a real wing, a janek wing, or a wooden wing, and its on a clone there is no difference. You build what you like, and drive it like you want to drive it. Its each persons car, and they can do with them as they see fit and choose to do so.

I was just saying that to me however it doesn't matter how nice the clone is, its still not real. I admire the work that people put into cloning these cars, and I even enjoy looking at them. Wouldn't mind having one possibly in the future. Not even 1/1,000,000,000th as much as I want a real one though.

Old Moparz

Quote from: 69_500 on November 22, 2007, 09:20:35 AM
Wouldn't mind having one possibly in the future. Not even 1/1,000,000,000th as much as I want a real one though.

I had to quote that Danny, it's the first time I ever recall you saying you'd have any interest in a clone at all.   :D

I understand your point of wanting a real one instead though, I know I'd want one. It's just that for me, the cost to own the real deal far exceeds whatever value I would ever consider one to be worth. Way back when a clean, winged, driver sold for about $15K, I actually thought owning one was well within reach. At that time, I had just bought my house so it never happened. Once people started paying more for these cars than what houses sell for, well I gave up the idea entirely.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

hotrod98

Quote from: 69_500 on November 22, 2007, 09:20:35 AM
I wasn't meaning that I have a problem with clones, I was just making a point. If your cloning a car, use whatever means you have possible. If you have the fund for a janek piece use it, if you have the money to buy more expensive parts then go for it. I was just saying that regardless if it has a real wing, a janek wing, or a wooden wing, and its on a clone there is no difference. You build what you like, and drive it like you want to drive it. Its each persons car, and they can do with them as they see fit and choose to do so.

I was just saying that to me however it doesn't matter how nice the clone is, its still not real. I admire the work that people put into cloning these cars, and I even enjoy looking at them. Wouldn't mind having one possibly in the future. Not even 1/1,000,000,000th as much as I want a real one though.

I actually didn't take offense at all, but was just kind of using what you said to get my idea out there as to what's important to me when it comes to musclecars. Looking back, I never really chose a car because of it's originality or pedigree. I just bought a car based on how I felt about it's looks, etc. I would come nearer buying a cheaper clone that was nice over an original that needed work. More "fun factor" for the money.
The "real" musclecars that I own just sort of came into my life. I never actually went out looking for them.
The odd thing about these cars is that when they were everywhere no one wanted them.

Charles Addams