News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Race car wheel openings. Shoud I, or not?

Started by Johnny Daytona, November 20, 2007, 02:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 23, 2007, 11:48:33 AM

Ironically, I don't think the NASCAR bodies were really a whole lot "lower" compared to a stock Charger.  I think the fronts were always pretty close to stock height and the rears got a little raised depending on the track/setup.

It was just that the wheels/tires had gotten a lot bigger than stock, while staying underneath that nearly-stock overall body height. 

Here's a pic of a stock-ish '69 C500 that has the front fenders cut-out just enough to clear the racing tires.  I didn't expect to ever see this on an uncaged streetable C500 when even most caged Daytona replicas don't have the cutting done, but here it is.  It seems to be exactly what you're talking about: 

I heard that somebody is making  two inch dropped spindles for these cars now :shruggy: The fenders on mine were done in a hurry.If I was to do it again I would do them like the NO. 6 Daytona, more work but better looking.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Mike DC

The ride height of that blue C500 in the pics is within the range of the stock front suspension, but close to the bottom edge of it.  Dropped spindles would probably help that height work better. 

moparstuart

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on December 06, 2007, 05:30:36 PM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 23, 2007, 11:48:33 AM

Ironically, I don't think the NASCAR bodies were really a whole lot "lower" compared to a stock Charger.  I think the fronts were always pretty close to stock height and the rears got a little raised depending on the track/setup.

It was just that the wheels/tires had gotten a lot bigger than stock, while staying underneath that nearly-stock overall body height. 

Here's a pic of a stock-ish '69 C500 that has the front fenders cut-out just enough to clear the racing tires.  I didn't expect to ever see this on an uncaged streetable C500 when even most caged Daytona replicas don't have the cutting done, but here it is.  It seems to be exactly what you're talking about: 

I heard that somebody is making  two inch dropped spindles for these cars now :shruggy: The fenders on mine were done in a hurry.If I was to do it again I would do them like the NO. 6 Daytona, more work but better looking.
still looks awesome  beautiful car
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 07, 2007, 01:42:39 AM
The ride height of that blue C500 in the pics is within the range of the stock front suspension, but close to the bottom edge of it.  Dropped spindles would probably help that height work better. 

you got that right, I got  the largest T bars from MP. at the time and its only about 1/4 inch off the bump stops so you feel every crack in the road. I keep saying it will go back stock  at some point.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Mike DC

You could also modify a set of LCAs to have more clearance.  Notch a set of LCAs for the frame/bumpstop a bit more and then reinforce the sides or something to shore them up.  It's no secret that the front suspension geometry is better when they're low like that. 

Highbanked Hauler

As it is I had to lengthen the upper control arms  an inch plus to get the negative camber out of it and have some adjustment in it. In doing so it gave it more positive caster which makes all the difference in how it drives. I am going to hate to go back to the stock setup.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser