News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what is RADIATOR FOAM SEAL

Started by BigBlockSam, November 20, 2007, 12:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemigeno

The original foam wasn't white - IIRC it was a grayish black.  That was installed though, to seal off the gap between the radiator yoke and the top & bottom radiator tanks.  I guess it was to make sure that the air went through the core of the radiator rather than bypassing it.

Chrysler had identified cooling as a potential problem of these cars pretty early on, and this must have been one of their solutions to help out.

BigBlockSam

so this stuff is sprayed on the rad black and heat turns it white. i've never seen this on any wing car . thanks Gene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

62 Max

Read again,seal is black,just looks white due to lighting.It is a closed cell foam strip,not a spray on.

Mine

pettybird

If someone removed their radiator, chances are it got thrown away due to deterioration.  They're about as common to see as original valley pan insulation pads :)

This car hasn't seen the street since 1976ish...you can barely make it out in the pic.

BigBlockSam

oh now i get it. thats cool . i had to do soething like that on my rod . to direct the air through the rad but i made it out of rubber . thanks for the info guys . Rene

daytonalo

Mama , it helps the pistons stay cool !! :icon_smile_big:

nascarxx29

That foam seal closed up the gap between rad and radiator support.In conjuction with all those other etc rubber& tarpaper nose seals and K frame diaper.Was used to isolate the air and air flow coming in.To enter into the nose opening.For best cooling results
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

Wingnut426

Not sure if its been mentioned, but I've seen that seal both on the top radiator tank and bottom radiator tank. You can buy a roll of a very similar foam with a sticky side at Home Depot.  WagonMan
HEMI Daytona Convertible

BigBlockSam

i think that could help a little . I'm gonna incorporate that into my replica.  Rene

daytonalo

No part #'s for the purist !!! That's what I would use !!!

rav440

Quote from: pettybird on November 20, 2007, 04:23:25 PM
If someone removed their radiator, chances are it got thrown away due to deterioration.  They're about as common to see as original valley pan insulation pads :)

This car hasn't seen the street since 1976ish...you can barely make it out in the pic.

what is a valley pan insulation pad ?  :shruggy:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: rav440 on November 23, 2007, 06:55:44 AM
Quote from: pettybird on November 20, 2007, 04:23:25 PM

what is a valley pan insulation pad ?  :shruggy:

the valley pan insulation was an alluminum foil bag with fiberglass insulation inside, It was placed on the valley pan before the intake was set into place. The insulation also included the tin deflectors that kinda closes of the area under the intake. Ive heard differant opinins of why the factory did it ,one was for insulating heat away from the intake to avoid boil over and the other was to dull a small amount lifter ,etc noise. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............