News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Simulated Woodgrain steering wheel

Started by 68RT4ME, November 21, 2007, 01:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RT4ME

Anybody reproducing them? Is anyone restoring them and what might someone expect to pay for either?  :scratchchin:
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

gordo1968charger

i got one from stevens performance for $299 plus $100 core charge.really happy with it
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 68RT4ME on November 21, 2007, 01:05:14 PM
Anybody reproducing them? Is anyone restoring them and what might someone expect to pay for either?  :scratchchin:

BE/A is in the process of repoping them all new!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Old Moparz

A lot of people have had good things to say about "The Steering Wheel Guy" for a restoration on your wheel.

http://www.stwheelz.com/

I haven't worked with him, but would give it a try based on other recommendations if he is reasonably priced.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

TUFCAT

Just FYI, Stephens Performance sends them out...the work is not done in house.   

stwheels

Quote from: Old Moparz on November 21, 2007, 09:01:59 PM
A lot of people have had good things to say about "The Steering Wheel Guy" for a restoration on your wheel.

www.stwheelz.com

I haven't worked with him, but would give it a try based on other recommendations if he is reasonably priced.

Thanks Old Moparz ! :cheers:

To give a price to do your wheel I'd need some pictures and a few questions answered. The best thing is to e-mail me so I can send you the info I need answered. stwheels@shaw.ca

What makes my wheels stand out from the crowd is that I use carbon fiber cloth and resin to make the repairs and then after airbrushing the wood coloring I draw all the wood grain by hand. For the 68-70 wood grain wheels I fill in any space behind and around the stainless rings during the repairs so they won't ever be loose again. Once the graining is complete I spray several coats of clear acrylic urethane over the entire rim making the surface completely smooth. Once the clear sets I buff down the finish to a satin sheen that duplicates the factory look.

I also offer re-plating of the spokes in the proper satin sheen. Now any wheel can be saved no matter how badly the spokes are rusted, pitted or peeling ... and I can repair ANY damage to the plastic rims !

Here is a sample of what one of my refinished wheels look like. Let me know if you have any questions. :2thumbs:

Thanks, Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com
Doug Lepak<br />The Steering Wheel Guy<br />Repairs/Refinishing + Customizing of any Plastic, Hard Rubber or Bakelite steering wheels<br />Specializing in MOPAR wood grain wheels WEB SITE: www.stwheelz.com

TUFCAT

Its great to have you on the board Steering Wheel Guy!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

stwheels

Thanks TUFCAT, I've been lurking for a while.

By the way, my cat wanted to say "Hi" to your cat.  LOL

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com
Doug Lepak<br />The Steering Wheel Guy<br />Repairs/Refinishing + Customizing of any Plastic, Hard Rubber or Bakelite steering wheels<br />Specializing in MOPAR wood grain wheels WEB SITE: www.stwheelz.com

TUFCAT

Oh no,!!  don't get me started on cat pictures - I have 5 .....It could take over this thread!  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:  Very cute feline by the way.  Is she available?  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

stwheels

Sorry, she's got no time for dating. Alleycat is an employee of mine . Here is a picture of her holding down the workbench for me. :yesnod: Invaluable as a dust mop too!  :smilielol:

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

Chatt69chgr

Peter Gee of PG Classics who sells Mopar Restoration Parts on EBAY has one listed in one of his catalogs for $599.  I believe that was the price I saw.  Just because it's in a catalog doesn't mean it's a real product yet-------that may explain why BEA said it was a "upcoming"  product.  How many of you would pay $600 for a repop of one of these woodgrain steering wheels? 

BMOTOXSTAR

I thought Grant was going to do them like they did the Tuff Wheel? :shruggy:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Mike DC

It sounds nuts but I probably would.  You spend the whole dang time in the car holding it & looking right at it.  I hate it when the finger grooves in the wheel rim randomly have extra-wide gaps from when a big crack has been filled. 

And no offense to anyone who's doing good resto work on wheels, but as long as the original plastic is there it's probably just a temporay fix.  It's gonna continue to crack farther as the plastic shrinks with age.  A new casting of the whole plastic rim is the only way to really arrest the cracking process. 

stwheels

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 10, 2007, 10:25:41 PM
It sounds nuts but I probably would.  You spend the whole dang time in the car holding it & looking right at it.  I hate it when the finger grooves in the wheel rim randomly have extra-wide gaps from when a big crack has been filled.  

And no offense to anyone who's doing good resto work on wheels, but as long as the original plastic is there it's probably just a temporay fix.  It's gonna continue to crack farther as the plastic shrinks with age.  A new casting of the whole plastic rim is the only way to really arrest the cracking process.  

That's why I don't fill the cracks with epoxy putty!  I fill all the spaces (including any cracks and gaps around and behind the stainless rings) with resin, Then I wrap the rim with random weave carbon fiber cloth and add another 2 coats of resin.

Once the resin sets I sand the surface of the wheel smooth so that the stainless rings are now flush with the resin.

Next I airbrush a base color that matches the original plastic the wheel was molded from.

By hand, I draw all new wood grain onto the rim and then airbrush the Brown wood color over top.

Then I spray on several coats of clear acrylic urethane (BASF/RM brand automotive paint with UV filters) and when it sets I buff down the clear to a satin sheen just as the wheels looked when new.

I developed this technique after having some wheels re-crack using the "stuff the cracks with epoxy and pray" method.

I'll post a series of pictures showing what can be repaired and how the finished product looks.

This wheel was actually missing the outer stainless ring when it arrived so you can see even better how the repairs are done. The first shot shows the wheel as it arrived.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

Here I test fit the new stainless ring. The rim is roughed up in preparation for the resin and carbon fiber shell.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

The cracks have all been filled and carbon fiber cloth wrapped around the rim then coated with 2 more layers of resin, building a shell over the entire plastic rim.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

This shot shows the resin over the carbon fiber cloth before it was sanded smooth and flush with the stainless rings.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

Here the resin has been sanded flush with the stainless rings and is ready for paint.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

The wood color has been airbrushed onto the wheel.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

Now the fun part! All the wood grain is drawn onto the rim by hand, no cheesy hacksaw blade dragged across the wheel.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

A few coats of clear to seal the deal ...

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

Then the clear is buffed down to a satin sheen. The clear also seals the stainless rings so the entire surface of the rim is smooth.  :2thumbs:

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

I also do colored wheels. Here is a typical 1968 Firebird wheel in "Before" condition  :eek2:

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

The cracks have been filled, the carbon fiber applied with a couple of coats of resin over top then sanded smooth.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

... and here it is, Back in Black.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

Back home in the customers car.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

tan top

:scope:              you do some real awesome work  Doug    :yesnod: .............................  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TUFCAT

Quote from: stwheels on December 11, 2007, 01:48:26 AM

All the wood grain is drawn onto the rim by hand, no cheesy hacksaw blade dragged across the wheel.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy

WHOA - That's some amazing detail brother!!  :2thumbs:

six-tee-nine

Ha

I know where to go.....Your web site is already among my favourites...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

1969chargerrtse

Wow, thanks for taking the time to post the info and pictures.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

stwheels

Thanks everyone. I wish I had more time to post here but my customers steering wheels come first.  :cheers:

Here is a wood grain shifter knob I just completed for a customer so it would match his restored wheel. Same thing can be done for pistol grip handles so everything matches.

re-done knob on left and worn original on the right.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

Here are a few shots of Rim Blow wheels.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

side view.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

close-up of wood grain.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

... and 1 more!

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

You B-body guys will appreciate this Rim Blow wheel.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

and here it is back in the customers car where it belongs. :2thumbs:

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

y3chargerrt

Great work Doug. I will be sending you my wood grain wheel this fall.

stwheels

Thanks Y3, I'll be looking forward to working with you on that project  :cheers:

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

another 67' Charger wood grain wheel!  :2thumbs:

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com

charge-it

There`s no longer a need to spend money restoring an old, rusted, and cracked 68-70 woodgrain steering wheel anymore when you can have a brand new one for a lot less! I see that they are now available: :drool5:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230301172805&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

Chatt69chgr

OK.  I would assume this is the wheel that PG Classics was going to put out.  So if you buy the wheel, where do you get the horn piece in the middle?  I have seen the plastic emblems but never the horn piece.  And does anyone know what the "retainer" is?  I assume you would need that.  Is it just a nut to hold the steering wheel onto the steering shaft?  My problem is that I don't have a wheel to start with.  So I don't have one to get the horn piece off of.  It just sounds kind of odd that a company would go to all the trouble to make a wheel like this and not have the pieces that you need to have a complete assembly (maybe they do and I just don't know about it). 

y3chargerrt

600 bucks still isnt cheap. Then you have to buy all the rest of the parts. I'm going to send Doug out my woodgrain wheel out sometime this winter for him to do his magic on it.

plumbeeper

Quote from: charge-it on October 23, 2008, 10:26:51 PM
There`s no longer a need to spend money restoring an old, rusted, and cracked 68-70 woodgrain steering wheel anymore when you can have a brand new one for a lot less! I see that they are now available: :drool5:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230301172805&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=

A lot less??? Sometimes you get what you pay for...Take that incorrect wheel in your link at $600, add another $300 for the rest of the new parts to make it complete plus all of the shipping and you will have about the same in it as if you had an original wheel restored with the correct finish.

Now ask them about their warranty. Just because it's new does not mean it's better. If the manufacturer does not use the right materials or procedures, then you could end up with the same situation you are trying to avoid. That's why we use the finest materials made in the USA and all of our work carries a one year guarantee.

Good luck!!!

Dave
http://www.woodgrainwheels.com
CLICK ABOVE FOR THE BEST MOPAR WOODGRAIN STEERING WHEEL RESTORATIONS

plumbeeper

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on October 24, 2008, 06:06:07 PM
OK.  I would assume this is the wheel that PG Classics was going to put out.  So if you buy the wheel, where do you get the horn piece in the middle?  I have seen the plastic emblems but never the horn piece.  And does anyone know what the "retainer" is?  I assume you would need that.  Is it just a nut to hold the steering wheel onto the steering shaft?  My problem is that I don't have a wheel to start with.  So I don't have one to get the horn piece off of.  It just sounds kind of odd that a company would go to all the trouble to make a wheel like this and not have the pieces that you need to have a complete assembly (maybe they do and I just don't know about it). 

We have all of the parts to make your wheel complete. All new or excellent original condition. Here's a 70 only kit we have with all new perfect NOS quality parts. Actually the switch is a real NOS part. Check our site for details. Everything is 100% satisfaction guaranteed.

Dave
http://www.woodgrainwheels.com
CLICK ABOVE FOR THE BEST MOPAR WOODGRAIN STEERING WHEEL RESTORATIONS

Mfr426

I sent my wheel out to the Steering Wheel Guy (here in PA near Carlisle???) about 3 years ago. The wheel looked fantastic. I had a crack in less than one year but he made good at Carlisle and promised to repair. He did and stood behind his work. I highly recommend. The detail work that he does on the grain is especially impressive.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul 500

Just got mine back from the steering wheel guy, its excellent
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

stwheels

Thanks Paul, it was a pleasure working with you on your steering wheel.  :2thumbs: Your Charger is looking pretty awesome and I'm sure we are all looking forward to seeing lots of pictures when it's all back together plus I'll bet you can hardly wait to terrorize the streets of Jolly Old England  :drive: :drive: :drive:

Thanks again, Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
www.stwheelz.com
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada

gtx6970

Quote from: charge-it on October 23, 2008, 10:26:51 PM

based on what I see in the picture of the repop wheel, I'll pass and have one redone

RAC95054

Quote from: Paul 500 on November 05, 2008, 08:38:53 AM
Just got mine back from the steering wheel guy, its excellent

Looks beautiful!  DO you mind me asking what the final cost was, and how bad off the wheel was to start with?  I need two redone, and I'm not a fan of the repop.  Thanks! -Russ
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

stwheels

Here are what the re-plated spokes look like. They are done by Steve Lowe at Victoria Plating in Victoria, BC, Canada.

Here is a link to Steve's web site so you can contact him about pricing and such. He  has done dozens of wheels for me over the last several years and they have the most beautiful satin sheen just like original.

http://www.victoriaplating.ca/default.aspx?PageID=1000

Thanks, Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
web site: www.stwheelz.com
FaceBook page: The Steering Wheel Guy