News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

disc brakes for a 69 charger

Started by itchyballs, October 01, 2005, 07:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itchyballs

hi. i was wondering if anyone has done disc brakes on their charger and what they pirated ther parts off of. i have heard you can get everything you need off  of a mid 80's cordoba or mirada. any help would be :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_blackeye: appreciated. thanks!!!!!!!

69fuchs

I just did the a body swap from mopar action. It is also detailed in moparts tech archive, and big block dart.com.  I mounted the calipers to the rear, so the sway bar could be used, and that caused some issues with brake hose routing.  The best bet is to make up some steel braided hoses to fit the rear mounted calipers correctly.  Trial and error, or ask someone that has done it.  I am not very happy with the way the rubber hoses are twisted around on my swap, but it works.

bull

I used a pair of 15" 1980 St. Regis hoses and they seem to work fine.

Steve P.

Quote from: bull on October 04, 2005, 04:29:18 AM
I used a pair of 15" 1980 St. Regis hoses and they seem to work fine.

Same on Mike's 68' with Aspen rotors.. They work well..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

69fuchs

I used 1980 volare hoses with the 90 degree brass fitting for the frame bracket. Are the st regis hoses the same?  I don't like how they coil around,but they are working....

ChargerBill

Quote from: Steve P. on October 09, 2005, 12:07:50 AM

Same on Mike's 68' with Aspen rotors.. They work well..

Yep, 65, 66, 67, 68 and I think also '69 Aspen, Valiant, Cordoba spindles are the ones most of these aftermarket companies use in their "new" disc conversion kits. (unless they are actually manufacturing new spindles) And even if they ARE currently manufacturing new spindles, they only started making new spindles about 3 years ago. Prior to that they ALL were using these spindles...PERIOD. I know because I called each one of them and talked to the tech and engineers at each (even the owner of one) and they all eventually admitted it.
Life is a highway...

Steve P.

:iagree:  All but the 3 year part.. I checked into it less than 2 years ago when we did Mike's and I got the same answers. NOBODY MAKING A SPINDLE AFTER MARKET FOR THESE CARS... PERIOD...

Now I need another set of them myself.......
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

ChargerBill

Steve, I was giving the benefit of the doubt....but it probably has been only 2 years or less. I guess a guarantee and a new shiney part offers some comfort, but like said in the movie Tommy Boy, "I can put a stamp on the side of a box of crap that says G U A R A N T E E, but it's still just a guranteed box of crap..." LOL, I'm not saying these NEW kits are crap, I'm just wondering WHY spend the money? And besides, I've always liked that quote... ;D
Life is a highway...

Steve P.

It's kind of funny that we were talking about this and I said I needed a pair for myself. Today a buddy of mine asked if I could use an early 80's Fifth Ave for anything.....  Hehehehe... There's my spindles...... :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

Here's the “brake” down list of parts I used on my '68:

2 Spindles: 1974 Dart (used) $90
2 Caliper adapters: 1977 Fury pin style (used) $36 incl. shipping
2 Rotors: 1977 Fury (new) $91.21
2 Calipers: 1973 Challenger (rebuilt) Loaded with new semi-metallic pads, pin fastener set, etc. $129.98
1 Disc Brake Master cylinder: 1973-1980s Dodge truck (rebuilt) $28.76
2 Hoses: 1980 St. Regis (new) $30.98
2 Oil seals: 1977 Fury (new) $3.49
2 Outer wheel bearings: 1977 Fury (new) $8.50
2 Inner wheel bearings: 1977 Fury (new) $11.18
1 Wilwood Proportioning Valve: $42.50
1 Wilwood Residual Pressure Valve: $16.46
Misc.: $15

Total: $504.06