News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake convo question

Started by 68ChargerJMP, October 01, 2005, 09:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68ChargerJMP

Is the Wilwood drum spindle to disc coversion not a good way to go or what? Im just asking because Ive noticed I never hear of anyone doing that kit. I have this kit, and was curious if I am going to run into problems with wheel choices, because of the distance from where the wheel mounts on the hub to the end of the grease cap. ??? Thanx.

2Gunz

I think alot of people use parts from other cars to make it work.  I bought my set from a guy I know. $150 with new pads :).  Unfortunatly I dont remember what the parts combo is. Something like Dart spindles with Cordoba Discs and pistons.  DIg around Im sure the answer is here someplace.   Sorry I wasnt more useful.

2Gunz

Another member posted this elsewhere.  http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

It has all the clues you need.

Troy

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on October 01, 2005, 09:15:29 PM
Is the Wilwood drum spindle to disc coversion not a good way to go or what? Im just asking because Ive noticed I never hear of anyone doing that kit. I have this kit, and was curious if I am going to run into problems with wheel choices, because of the distance from where the wheel mounts on the hub to the end of the grease cap. ??? Thanx.

Ask Wilwood about the minimum size rim you can run. There are lots of different opinions on the subject of disc brakes but I know a lot of people use Wilwood without any problems. Personally, I'm tired of digging around in rusty parts at the junkyard so I'll have Wilwood kits on mine. That is, unless I can justify really, really big brakes and then I'll order them up from AR Engineering. Total overkill though.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68ChargerJMP

Hey troy. Thanx for the reply, but Im not worried about rim diameter, Im worried about the long ass grease cap sticking through the wheel center. Its over 2.5 inches from wheel mounting surface to front of grease cap. Ive seen some wheels that might not accept that, or it will look terrible. I just dont want to have to be stuck running a weld superlite or dragstar.

Troy

Ah that, I'll have to look but I haven't heard of any problems yet.

Troy

bull

Wilwood likes to make a big deal about how their brakes are for racing only. I think they are trying to cover their butts regarding warranty and/or liability. I haven't heard the other disc brake companies talk about that and to me it speaks volumes.

Troy

As I said, there are lots of different opinions. Wilwood has sold hundreds of thousands of kits and I've yet to see anyone on any message board complaining about failures on their street driven cars. However, I have seen lots of issues with cobbling together a system from old parts though. As for liability, that is exactly what they are doing (covering their rear) but I don't really see anything in their advertising making a big deal about racing only. (Be sure to compare the right products as Wilwood does make some "race ONLY" kits.) Check out Baer and Brembo as well and you'll see the same disclaimer but still not making a big deal about it. The fact that they are on many, many race cars has to do with the quality and performance and, in general, racing is much more demanding than putting limited miles on your street car. Now, there is an issue with some people about the dust shields and seals but that has nothing to do with a disclaimer or application (just the conditions you drive in). When someone shows me some actual facts I may change my mind.

On a side note, I believe that Wilwood sells more kits than everyone else combined and (surprise!) their primary business is racing brakes. You won't see SSBC or Master Power bragging about their wins because it isn't their market. Amazingly the companies have different marketing strategies. Actually, SSBC refuses to warranty parts used in racing applications. Neither SSBC or MP are DOT certified either as far as I can tell and I haven't read their disclaimers to see exactly what they refuse to take responsibility for. My guess it that they are all about the same but I could research it if necessary.

Troy

bull

According to Wilwood there is no such thing as aftermarket brake kits being DOT approved:

"Question:   Is this kit for racing only and DOT approved?
Answer:   There is not such thing as a DOT approved after market brake kit.   No manufacturer or vendor will give you a written letter with that certification on it.   The big difference Wilwood states that these are for racing only to limit their liability.   Wilwood is one of the few companies that make brake kits for the Winston Cup Cars.   No manufacturer will provide you will a DOT certification in writing.   Why? Because there is no such thing, just ask Baer, Gobal West or Stainless Steel Brakes to provide you with this certification in writing.

There is no such thing as DOT (Department of Transportation) approved brake components. They do not certify or approve components. When a brake manufacturer or seller claims their product is "DOT approved", the claim is false.

The only components regulated by DOT are:
Brake hoses
Brake fluid
Tires
Exterior Lamps

(A manufacturer using the DOT symbol on the above products signifies that the manufacturer has "self certified" that the product meets FMVSS standards)

New vehicles must comply with certain government standards. The controlling document for standards is the "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard", or FMVSS. Brake performance is covered under FMVSS sections 105 and 135. Vehicle manufacturers certify, either through self-certification or independent certification, that their vehicles comply with the standards.

Brake components, like many other vehicle components, are generally the way they are as a result of performance, cost, manufacturer preference, and sometimes, tradition! Materials, features (anti-rattle, anti-squeal, dust boots, fixed mount, sliding mount, piston count, etc.) and finish are not dictated by DOT." -- from http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wilwood-Disc-Brakes-140-2721-Mopar-64-72_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQitemZ8004032825QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It's just a method of insulating the company from liability, which I think all these brake companies do in one form or another. Wilwood just seems to say it louder. At any rate, I don't see the race application being any more demanding that street application because most people are lucky to make more than three runs a week with a drag car.  

The good thing about Wilwood is that the prices have really dropped on their kits over the past couple years. I don't know if the same goes for the others but you can get most of what you need from Wilwood for less than $700. IIRC they used to run close to $1k. Either way you'll still need to get a master cyl to complete the job. One of the reasons I went with the Mopar Action tech swap is that replacement parts would hopefully be a little less expensive and easier to find since I plan on driving mine on the street often. If you're out of town at a show on a Saturday you're not going to find a Wilwood or Baer part if you need it, and even during the week you'll have to wait for the stuff to be shipped.

Whatever you decide to go with just be sure to read all the fine print. I saw a Wilwood kit on Ebay once that said it was for all 64-72 A- and B-body Mopar applications and then in small print toward the bottom it had a weight limit of something like 3,000 lbs. I don't recall the exact number but I know it was less than what a Charger weighs. Assuming Chargers weigh about the same as most other B-bodies that would exclude most if not of the claimed B-body applications. Maybe it was just a typo so you need to just read all the info and call them with questions.

68ChargerJMP

Well , I already have the wilwoods.. I bought the street kit, not the race only. Still cant find anything about the hub/grease cap protruding issue.

Troy

I was looking but got interrupted. I sent an email out to someone who should know and I'll post what I find unless someone else figures it out before me. I can't really see that it's a problem though. I just looked at a car last week with Torque Thrusts and Wilwood brakes all around. I'll see if they had to use any special center caps but I don't think so.

Troy

68ChargerJMP

68ChargerJMP