News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Deck filler piece for Vega plug

Started by TomP, November 28, 2007, 04:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomP

Does anybody know is the deck filler piece from a 71 - 74 Roadrunner/Satellite the same as one from a 71 - 74 Charger and will the Satellite piece work for a Daytona Vega plug?
'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'70 Challenger - FM3/V1W 440/727/8.75/4 wheel disc brakes (Under Restification)
'74 Duster - FM3/V1W 225/904/7.25 Disc/Drum
'93 RAM D250 - 5.9L/A518/9.25 (Old Sacto Cop Truck)
'94 BMW 740iL

Yes, I'm a Dodge Boy.  Verstehen?

moparstuart

i have a picture of the one i cut out of a 73 charger I will try to post it tonight 
  stuart
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonalo

66chargerkid

He means his son will post some tonight  :icon_smile_big:

Magnumcharger

Let me guess...you sit on the water jug when you're on the computer?
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

TomP

I recognize that green tape on those hinges.   Hey Larry, why weren't my hinges and wing washers primered?

Thanks for the pics.  I'm looking at the piece Saturday.

Now, if the other Larry just makes the finish piece for the trunk lid, I'm there!
'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'94 BMW 740iL

66chargerkid

thats the server room so your maybe up there for a couple minutes a month to just check the server... so no fancy seats needed =)

hotrod98

Quote from: TomP on November 28, 2007, 09:47:32 PM
I recognize that green tape on those hinges.   Hey Larry, why weren't my hinges and wing washers primered?

Now, if the other Larry just makes the finish piece for the trunk lid, I'm there!

What's your time frame for doing your transformation? I'm still looking at February on the closeout panels and wing braces. Oh, and don't be disappointed. My parts are bare steel as well. Keeps the cost down. A lot of the guys have been having the wing braces powdercoated. and the closeout panel has to be welded in anyway.  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

TomP

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 28, 2007, 10:34:31 PM

What's your time frame for doing your transformation? I'm still looking at February on the closeout panels and wing braces. Oh, and don't be disappointed. My parts are bare steel as well. Keeps the cost down. A lot of the guys have been having the wing braces powdercoated. and the closeout panel has to be welded in anyway.  ;D
February should work for me.  I still have to get the 4x4 back together and replace part of a quarter on the Charger.  If I run out of things to do, I can always start primering and sanding the Challenger.

Still no answer to my original questions (although the pictures should help me decide this weekend). 

To those who have used a Vega plug, I'm assuming you pulled the glass first, right?  Is the window gasket available?  Also, are you leaving the bracing intact or just using the outer skin?
'94 BMW 740iL

daytonalo

Window gaskit ????  Butyl tape in !!! Are those my Hinges ??

Larry

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 28, 2007, 10:34:31 PM

larry that is the panel i cut did i cut it big enought ???  will it work well ???

hotrod98

TomP,
Remove the glass, cut the reinforcement off leaving the area around the glass channel. Just grind all of the way around the lip of the plug with a grinder until you can remove the reinforcement. You will need to cut it near the glass channel as well. You may have to seperate the two halves with a large putty knife if the flutter control foam is still intact. It's the glue type substance that keeps the panels from vibrating. There's several more steps that we've covered before. I hate to repeat all of the details.
Keep the piece that you cut off near the trunk opening. You can use it to make your filler that goes at the top between the plug and the roof panel.
I was butt welding them into place, but I'm installing them a little different now. I leave a wide lip that overlaps the quarters by about an inch. Makes the welding process much easier, but the downside is more filler. It's a good tradeoff. You will need to slice the quarters on each side of the car to allow the vega plug to go down into place. PM me if you need specifics.
Here's a link to the thread about Howie's car that I converted.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,20982.0.html

You can just urethane the glass back in, use 3M window ribbon or have a glass shop do it. Just don't break it getting it out. I use piano wire to remove them...carefully.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

First pic...Here's how the plug should look with the reinforcement removed except the lip on the sides should be wider. That way it will overlap the sail panel areas.

Second pic...This pic illustrates the way that it should be installed. I added the red line to show where you will need to cut a slit the sail panel preferably with a cutoff wheel. Cut it the entire way down on both sides. This is the only way that the plug will fit between the sail panels. I don't remember who drew this pic or would give them the credit that's due. It's a great drawing.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

hotrod98

Charles Addams

daytonalo

By popular vote I'm a Horses Ass !!!

BigBlockSam

i believe Dane drew that pic

QuoteBy popular vote I'm a Horses Ass !!!

:smilielol:

moparstuart

moparstuart

Quote from: 66chargerkid on November 28, 2007, 09:26:03 PM
larry roper  is this panel big enought and going to work ok ?

hotrod98

Quote from: moparstuart on November 30, 2007, 10:38:11 AM
larry roper is this panel big enought and going to work ok ?

I can work with that. I was planning to use an english wheel to change the top radius slightly which I won't be able to do with it cut that narrow but I've used them cut that narrow before and made them work. Full speed ahead.
I have your trunk closeout panel laid out with your name on it and I also have an extra set of wing braces. A friend of mine is waiting a while before starting on his daytona so we can use his if you need them.
I started assembling the new paint booth this week and plan to work on it all weekend.
Hardest part is cutting that hole in my new roof.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 30, 2007, 12:16:08 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on November 30, 2007, 10:38:11 AM
larry roper is this panel big enought and going to work ok ?

I can work with that. I was planning to use an english wheel to change the top radius slightly which I won't be able to do with it cut that narrow but I've used them cut that narrow before and made them work. Full speed ahead.
I have your trunk closeout panel laid out with your name on it and I also have an extra set of wing braces. A friend of mine is waiting a while before starting on his daytona so we can use his if you need them.
I started assembling the new paint booth this week and plan to work on it all weekend.
Hardest part is cutting that hole in my new roof.
thanks  , sorry we didnt cut it bigger  i didnt know  ?