News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WOW! a real superbird project for sale

Started by BigBlockSam, November 29, 2007, 09:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Ghoste

Well if it's a guessing game we're playing, I'm going with $58, 675.

Troy

Quote from: 69_500 on November 30, 2007, 05:46:26 PM
Yeah but sending Troy over to look at a superbird is like asking me to check out a 68 Charger. I mean yeah I know what it is, but okay I'll shut up now.  :nana:
Thanks for the vote of confidence...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

rav440

Quote from: moparstuart on November 30, 2007, 05:28:45 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 30, 2007, 04:35:49 PM
I dont know guys - the market is down right now and all...     440 car...       i say $52,000
read the auction it's   440 + 6   

:slap: read the auction " no 6 pak " " waranty block "

:icon_smile_big:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Ghoste

But it is an original V code 6 Barrel car and that warranty block will allow you to stamp any number you need on there.  :icon_smile_wink:

rav440

Quote from: Ghoste on December 01, 2007, 09:04:53 AM
But it is an original V code 6 Barrel car and that warranty block will allow you to stamp any number you need on there.  :icon_smile_wink:

thats cheesey . doesnt a WARRANTY block have a "W" or something stamped on it ? plus getting the right stamping dies to make it look legit , and im guessing the date code on the block would be a dead give away that its not the original block and the #s have been tampered with .

regaurdless its not the original block .

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: rav440 on December 01, 2007, 09:25:16 AM

thats cheesey . doesnt a WARRANTY block have a "W" or something stamped on it ? plus getting the right stamping dies to make it look legit , and im guessing the date code on the block would be a dead give away that its not the original block and the #s have been tampered with .

WARRANT block will have a "S" stamped on the pad
Ken

rav440

Quote from: Hemi_tyme on December 01, 2007, 10:11:38 AM
Quote from: rav440 on December 01, 2007, 09:25:16 AM

WARRANT block will have a "S" stamped on the pad
Ken

i thougth there was something stamped on it . werent they supposed to REstamp the #s onto the the warranty block ?

nascarxx29

The original block would show F =1970 HP or maybe HP2.The casting date on the passenger side will also give you a clue what year block.And the serial number pad on passenger side bottom .Would be the info to asking the ebay seller on this auction
\
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Hemi_tyme

Rav the "S" is stamped on the top pad along with 440,the vin pad was left blank. I will take a picture of warranty block for a superbird i have at the shop
Ken

Redbird

It seems as if he's told folks that it's not the original block. What more can he do. Having not owned a collector car in the 25 years that didn't come from the southwest, what would concern me more is the rust. If the bottom of the cone is rusted out, I'd question the headlight buckets. He says under the jack in the trunk it's rusted out. The floors from the bottom suggest some work may need to be done. Quarters need work. That said-it's a lot more complete than some of the piles that have been listed.

The November Sports Car Market magazine had a yellow 440-6, VOA172656, auto, restored 2+, claimed original paint, 21,705 mile car sell at the Monterey CA auction for $ $ 93,500. That should give someone starting a big restoration pause.

Ghoste

And remember, it's still a real six barrel car, the ability to "recreate" it as matching numbers is icing on the cake.  Yes, I know it's fraud, but to many B-J style get rich quick flippers, it's just an inconvenience.

pettybird

My Daytona has a "W" on the top pad, and no numbers on the rail. 
71 warranty short block, and a non=HP unit, to boot. 

pettybird

Quote from: Troy on December 01, 2007, 03:09:58 AM
Quote from: 69_500 on November 30, 2007, 05:46:26 PM
Yeah but sending Troy over to look at a superbird is like asking me to check out a 68 Charger. I mean yeah I know what it is, but okay I'll shut up now.  :nana:
Thanks for the vote of confidence...

Troy

I looked at that kinda funny, too---

moparchris

Yes, a warranty block has a blank pad on its side.  So what.  If nothing else your personal integrity should stop you from "restamping" the block.  I guess some people can put a price on that.

Ghoste

I agree but I've seen so many fake cars I've just become cynical enough to believe that it's extremely likely this car will turn up for sale in a year or so as a numbers matching 'bird.  The money that seems to be able to be made in this "hobby" anymore has adjusted a lot of folks personal integrity levels I guess. :shruggy:

moparchris

I understand where you are coming from.  But I hope that doesn't happen.  I think this is one of the reasons I'm losing alot of interest in the cars.  I have been working on these Mopars since 1978 and it's gotten to the point for me at least that I really don't want to take a car anywhere.  Eveyone nitpicks a car because most of the people seem to be a car jockey, and not true car people who slave away trying to make there cars nice or at least how they like them.  Eveything "has" to be correct (whatever that truely means) and if your car isn't like theirs it just a pile of crap. 
Sorry, I just had to vent for moment.  We return to our normal programming :RantExplode:

Aero426

Quote from: Redbird on December 01, 2007, 11:16:04 AM

The November Sports Car Market magazine had a yellow 440-6, VOA172656, auto, restored 2+, claimed original paint, 21,705 mile car sell at the Monterey CA auction for $ $ 93,500. That should give someone starting a big restoration pause.

Highly possible that car didn't sell.  I asked some questions about that car to someone who was there.   I believe it was at Russo & Steele.    In the past R & S has provided seller friendly buy backs.   Why the car didn't bring bids is another question.    I don't think the market is that bad myself.    Heard of a decent U code car changing hands between $110k and $115k right now.

bebeep1969

First, it was ### matching car.  Then disclosed that it appears to be a warranty block.  I noticed that this car does not have a dana in it.  All 4 speed birds came with a dana.  It appears to have an 8 3/4 in the rear.  Looks like another flaw in the description of this car.  What is next????  I personally would stay clear of it...
1970 FJ5 V-code 4 speed Superbird
1970 FY1 V-code 4 speed Superbird

nascarxx29

Was looking at the ebay pictures trying to see if it had a dana,And noticed the trailer hitch.And searched through computer saved pictures and found a blue bird with a trailer hitch

\
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

bebeep1969

1970 FJ5 V-code 4 speed Superbird
1970 FY1 V-code 4 speed Superbird

69_500

Well even though I"m not a Superbird kind of man, I'd still consider the car if it leveled off around the aformentioned mid $50K range. I mean its not that bad.

I was only teasing with the comment that was directed towards Troy. Speaking of that Troy, since you are so close why don't you just go ahead and pick it up and put it with your Chargers. They could swap stories, and chit chat. Then you could restore it first and drive it around to shows and pass out Dodge Charger.com stickers from it.  :nana: Okay I'll stop now.

Old Moparz

Quote from: 69_500 on December 02, 2007, 09:00:36 AM
Well even though I"m not a Superbird kind of man, I'd still consider the car if it leveled off around the aformentioned mid $50K range. I mean its not that bad.

I was only teasing with the comment that was directed towards Troy. Speaking of that Troy, since you are so close why don't you just go ahead and pick it up and put it with your Chargers. They could swap stories, and chit chat. Then you could restore it first and drive it around to shows and pass out Dodge Charger.com stickers from it.  :nana: Okay I'll stop now.

While he's doing that, he could also put a small flag on the wing with the Cuda-Challenger logo on it.   :D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

gtx6970

Just goes to show you. cars come out of the woodwork. This is a new one to me as well

AND If someones serious, I'm 30 minutes away from it if you have questions needing answers

69_500

Hey Bill, why don't you just go ahead and pick it up? I mean you prefer the RR and GTX bodies over the Charger anyways right? I know its not a GTX, but it is a RR with a wing and nose right?