News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger 500 / Daytona Rear Window Plug Removal - Any Experience?

Started by xs29j8Bullitt, December 04, 2007, 08:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: 69_500 on December 07, 2007, 04:22:49 PM
Allen just for wondering, but why remove the plug anyways? Just curious. I would think you could leave it in the car, dig out the lead but leave it spot welded in. Then do more spot welding, or weld it up solid, or lead it back in. Just curious why you are taking it out?

??? That would mean cutting up the full quarter panels, essentially making repair panels out of them.  I want to replace the quarter at the factory seams!  That is why I antied up the $$$$$$$$$ to get the full panels instead of the much cheaper partial quarter panels which have been available for years.  Welding the partial quarters on and completely hiding the seams is labor intensive... then there is the risk of warpage during extensive welding!

Additionally, with the plug out, rust can more readily found and stopped... no surprises 5-10 years down the road.
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

69_500

Hmmm, so your wanting to have the same seam as the factory did on the C pillar. Makes sense. I was just curious.

hotrod98

Sounds like a solid plan. If I lived nearby, I'd be there to help with what sounds like a cool project.  :2thumbs:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 07, 2007, 06:35:23 PM
Sounds like a solid plan. If I lived nearby, I'd be there to help with what sounds like a cool project.  :2thumbs:

I wish you were closer too...  When your new shop is fully operational, and I recover from the C500 money pit, I may talk to you about doing one of my other cars.

Allen

hotrod98

Sounds good.  If I can ever get that darn paint booth assembled...I thought it was going to be simple. Fooled me. Four days now and it's still only half finished.  :o
I'm anxious to start on MoparStuart's back glass project. Just a few more days. Also, we should be back on Howie's nascar daytona clone by next summer. Things are going to start going a lot faster now that I have a larger shop to work out of.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

If I still lived in Grand Prairie, we'd practically be neighbors. My wife worked in downtown Fort Worth, but my office was over at Mockingbird and Stemmons Frwy in Dallas. We really miss living in the DFW area. It's nice and quiet here in the hills, but there's not a lot going on as far as excitement. I may try to get with you next year and check out your hotrods. We've been talking about running down to your part of the world. My wife's had a craving for the shrimp ettouffe at Poppadeaux and the lasagna and sourdough bread at Spaghetti Warehouse.
Here's a couple of pics of the booth as it sits right now.

Charles Addams

Highbanked Hauler

Hot Rod, just curious, what paint line do you, or are you going to use? Beautiful shop by the way, :notworthy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on December 15, 2007, 09:33:58 PM
Hot Rod, just curious, what paint line do you, or are you going to use? Beautiful shop by the way, :notworthy:

For the last nine years I've been using PPG DBC basecoat and Concept single stage. I've also used Sherwin-Williams Sunfire Urethane for the chassis, engine, suspension and even a flattened version for the semi gloss areas since it's so durable. However, I'll start using Pro Spray now which is a European finish that is identical to the old ICI Autocolor now known as PPG-NEXA. I work in outside sales part time for a friend of mine at his automotive paint store and can buy everything at his cost. Kind of works out well for me. We also sell an exact copy of the PPG DBC system made by a company by the name of Matrix. It's much cheaper than the real stuff and seems to work just as well. We can even use their mixing formulas on our intermix system. It's that close...even the toners have a similar number.
I've been debating as to whether to install an intemix system or not. The upside is mixing the paint whenever I need it, even late at night or on weekends. The downside is having to keep the toners well stirred and fresh. Once toners have been opened and put on the mixing bank, they tend to age a little faster with the mixing lids than when they were tightly sealed with a solid lid. Of course the biggest issue is the cost of the system to begin with. I'm not a high production shop so the paint company certainly wouldn't co-op the cost of the system with me.
Thanks for the compliment on the shop. It's coming along slowly. I still have equipment in the front shop that needs to be brought to the back shop. The old shop is pretty much used for storing the racecar and the hotrods now.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Sorry about that.

Charles Addams

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 15, 2007, 11:27:32 PM
Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Sorry about that.

Educational hijacks like yours are very welcome & appreciated!  Most hijacks are much less useful... I would give an example, but it would probably start a hijack of this thread...  :lol:

HH was absolutely right... AWESOME SHOP!  :thumbs:

Allen

hotrod98

My House of Kolor book has it listed as HOK PBC31 over white base. Sunset Pearl  I can't seem to get that shade in Pro Spray base/clear even with the Xirillic pearls. Keeps coming out too much like PBC48 Cinnamon pearl.
I'll keep trying but I think you're best bet is to let me create it in a three stage. It just uses a bright white base. I can get it for you for much much less than the price of HOK and it will be easy to shoot. No tricky lacquer bases with urethane midcoats and that hard to shoot clear. Never was much of a fan of HOK.
I can re-create pretty much any of the HOK color colors in Matrix.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

daytonalo

Thanks ! What do you think of BASF ? We are about to switch to them after 20 years of Sikkens .

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: daytonalo on December 16, 2007, 10:35:30 AM
Thanks ! What do you think of BASF ? We are about to switch to them after 20 years of Sikkens .

Just out of curiousity, Why would you switch from Sikkens?

Sorry to hi-jack
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

daytonalo

We had a rep from BASF over all week , much simpler formulas and after spraying it , we think it looks better . All of the OEM use it , we are too.

Larry

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: daytonalo on December 16, 2007, 11:08:14 AM
We had a rep from BASF over all week , much simpler formulas and after spraying it , we think it looks better . All of the OEM use it , we are too.

Larry

Sounds like you had a good saleman anyway!! :brickwall:  All of the OEM use it..... :smilielol:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

daytonalo

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 16, 2007, 10:55:46 AM
Quote from: daytonalo on December 16, 2007, 10:35:30 AM

Just out of curiousity, Why would you switch from Sikkens?

Sorry to hi-jack

Paint companies are like banks buying each other up. Its hard to tell who owns who now.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

daytonalo

I don't fall for sales BS !!! My partner paints full time for Volvo , loves Sikkens , but the more he finds out about BASF , he likes it .

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: daytonalo on December 16, 2007, 11:28:07 AM
Basf is also glassrit[ not sure on how that is spelled ]

The best looking paint jobs that I have ever seen were done with Glasurit... IMO

http://www.glasurit.com.au/

BUT, I have been told by a professional painter that the equipment and technique required are somewhat different to get that look.  Are they going to provide training, etc ?

XS

daytonalo

From spending all week with them ,[BASF]my friend informs me that sikkens system is much more complex !

hotrod98

I sold BASF Diamont and Glasurit back in the 90's. The BASF reps were very nice until after I signed the bottom line and then they turned into the biggest jerks that I've ever dealt with.
They were arrogant to my customers and never once fulfilled a single promise that they had made. Their tactic is to switch reps on you after you've signed on and then basically deny that any of the promises had actually been made. They even sent me the wrong mixing banks and never corrected it. They just didn't care.
I had a lot of trouble with their polyester basecoat system and they wouldn't admit any problems. Just left my customers with big problems. If you don't do everything exactly right, the clearcoat won't stay on. And, their color match wasn't one bit better than SW.
I would much rather use Sikkens than BASF...any day. No question. I've been told that Sikkens has finally corrected their problem with recoat sensitivity. Not sure.
However, even Sikkens has been Americanized and is no where near as good as it was 15 years ago. In fact all of the European systems have suffered. Standox was marketed in the U.S. by Sherwin-Williams as American Standox. They started making the solvents and hardeners in the U.S. to save money and it went downhill fast. They were then taken on by Dupont and have never recovered. Most of the Standox shops in this area eventually switched to Sikkens.
Spies-hecker is basically the same thing as Standox. Many of their toners are identical.
If you want my opinion, there's very little difference in quality when it comes to basecoat as long as you use a premium system. Since opening this new paint store here one year ago, we've taken over a third of the business in this area with two lines, Pro Spray and Matrix. In my opinion, they're just as good as any of the other systems out there and cost at least a third less. They don't spend billions on sponsoring big name racecars or other high dollar advertising.
As for which big name brand I would use...hands down it would be PPG. You can correct any painter induced problems in the sealer or basecoat by sanding with their DX330 and then recoating. We can do the same thing with Matrix using the DX330. No more costly rework.  I haven't tried it with Pro Spray yet.
PPG's 2021 clear will stay open long enough to buff it out and then it locks up for durability. Other company's clears either lock up immediately or stay soft forever. Not good for a showcar.
Dupont is probably a little better product than PPG but is much more costly no matter what Dupont tells you. If you have a problem with PPG at least someone will try to help you rather than look down their nose at you and tell you that you (the painter) must have done something wrong. :Twocents:

Charles Addams

daytonalo

My friend is been painting for 20 years and only with Sikkens , he must really like it to switch . He said with bASF you can sand the basecoat in minutes , sikkens you have to wait much longer . He painted several Volvo's this week and informs me he noticed a big difference all around .

Larry

Charger-Bodie

daytonalo

I thought I mentioned he liked the cars he painted with BASF over the Sikkens he used in the last 20 years . I'm not he painter in our business , he is , I only go with what he tells me . I will tell him all my members in DC think BASF is junk , by the way can I ask you how many years you have painted professionally ?