News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger 500 / Daytona Rear Window Plug Removal - Any Experience?

Started by xs29j8Bullitt, December 04, 2007, 08:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

BASF does dry faster. Think about it...that's not a good thing. Causes poor adhesion. Wait until the cars start coming back with the clear de-laminating. We had so much trouble, I just moved the mixing bank to the warehouse and quit selling it altogether. That company cost me a lot of money and I won't forget it.
Your buddy will probably go back to Sikkens eventually.
What does he not like about PPG? I've never had a problem with any car that I've ever painted and I've shot a lot of them. I see a lot of them at car shows that I painted nine or ten years ago and they look great. Most of them are still winning trophies.
In my career, I've shot PPG, Sherwin-Williams, Sikkens, Standox, Spies-Hecker, Dupont, ICI, Pro Spray, Matrix, SW Sunfire, Dupont Imron, Diamont, Glasurit, Nasson and R-M and the only products that I would even consider shooting today are PPG, Matrix and Pro Spray. I would shoot SW Sunfire but no one carries it. They're phasing it out since it no longer meets the VOC requirements.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

daytonalo

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: daytonalo on December 16, 2007, 09:13:22 PM
I thought I mentioned he liked the cars he painted with BASF over the Sikkens he used in the last 20 years . I'm not he painter in our business , he is , I only go with what he tells me . I will tell him all my members in DC think BASF is junk , by the way can I ask you how many years you have painted professionally ?

18 years pro. ...grew up in my dads body shop painted a complete for the first time when i was 11 on a step stool ..it was single stage deltron (dau)........ive sprayed all of them some and sikkens is the best match and durability ive used hands down
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

daytonalo

Make no mistake , we love Sikkens!!! They are very , very expensive . He is looking at his options .

Larry

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: daytonalo on December 16, 2007, 09:51:18 PM
Make no mistake , we love Sikkens!!! They are very , very expensive . He is looking at his options .

Larry

have you considered lesonal? the cheaper akzo product....
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

daytonalo

We have been using that for years ! Again we love Sikkens , we are simply exploring other avenues !

BigBlockSam

i used Diamont on my charger .went on well . some of those other paints get crazy expensive . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Diamont and Glasurit are the same chemistry...polyester. Both are BASF products. :yesnod:

Charles Addams

Highbanked Hauler

How many of you have had a front  bumper cover changed on your high end European or Asian car lately?? and  the first time you wax it you find it full of stone chips?  That is where the quality of the better  paint shows up, ease of application, gloss retention and durability and keep the V.O.C  Volatile Organtic Compound  or emissions below a certain level.

This is hijacking and I do apologise. :paintingpink:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

daytonalo

Larry , do you think Glasurit is garbage ? I thought many of high end cars use that System ? By the way , high end as in German

hotrod98

Most of the high end systems out there are german. In fact PPG which was originally named Ditzler is german.
Most of the durability is in the clearcoat, not the basecoat. The best clear out there uses the new scratch resistant (nano) technology.  It's around $300 a gallon and not very practical to use in a collision repair facility considering that the insurance companies usually allow less then a fourth that much in materials on their estimates.
Also, remember that the paint refinish that they use at the factory is rarely the same as sold to the repair shops. Many of the factories use a system that mixes the end product at the nozzle. Some systems even use an amine gas which causes the catylization. At a quarter of a mill per machine, not many body shops would be using an amine gas system.
I'm not saying that Glasurit is garbage, I'm just saying that it would not be my choice for a system for a repair facility unless you're only (or mostly) repairing cars that had Glasurit on them from the factory. For instance, Navistar dealers should use Sikkens since as far as I know, all of their trucks are still shot with Sikkins. 
When I managed the body shop at the Volvo truck dealership, we used Sherwin-Williams Sunfire because Volvo was shooting them with Sunfire at the time. They have since switched to Dupont Imron as of 2002 or 2003.
Bottom line...I would never consider using Glasurit myself. Maybe it's right for some guys. Just not for me.
In fact, thanks to the tightwad insurance companies, more and more shops are switching to the less expensive lines like Matrix and Pro Spray. There are others, but these are the two that I sell.
Final thought...My '71 Cuda has single stage Standox (german paint) on it and it isn't one bit better than PPG Concept. But it did cost twice as much so I guess it should have been better.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

xs29j8Bullitt

We have plug removal experience now!  :2thumbs: The C500 rear window plug was removed without a problem...  :cheers:

Now back to the hi-jack of the hi-jack of the...........  :smilielol:

Good discussion BTW, I  am trying to get up to speed on paint differences as well.  The painter mentioned that he could use Matrix to save on the cost of the materials, but I am leaning to go with the "name brand"... thoughts?  Teach me Obe-Wan(s)!!!  :yesnod:

Allen

After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

daytonalo

Could you please post some pics of the plug edges ? Always wanted to see if the edges were bent 90 degrees

Larry

hotrod98

On a one time deal, by all means go with a name brand refinish. On one vehicle you're not talking about a lot of difference in cost. I tend to think more along the lines of cost associated with repair facilities where a little cost difference can add up.
I always suggest that when having a car painted stay with the brand that your painter is familiar with. You don't want the guy experimenting with a new system on your car.

Now...how about a couple of pics of the edges of that plug. ;D

Charles Addams

daytonalo

BigBlockSam

Quotestay with the brand that your painter is familiar   

:yesnod:  thats why i used the paint i did . thats what my painter used at the body shop he worked at  and he was happy with it . Rene

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: daytonalo on December 20, 2007, 11:35:41 PM
Could you please post some pics of the plug edges ? Always wanted to see if the edges were bent 90 degrees

Larry

The edges are not bent 90 degrees, but there is a seperate 90 degree angle that is screwed to the inside of the sail panel to provide a landing for the flat edge of the plug.  There are several parts tack-welded to the lower side of the plug, including the "sawteeth" for attaching the headliner.

Basically a section cut through the plug would show a "flat" (except for contour) panel with an offset flange recess for the rear window & gasket.  The end that attaches to the sail panel lays on the seperate "L" angle mounted upside down with sheetmetal screws to the inboard side of the Charger's sail panel, offset enough to allow the OML of the plug panel to lie flush with the OML surface (edge) of the sail panel.

Check out the pictures below... if needed, I can provide a sketch.

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Highbanked Hauler

That is what i was saying before, you have that little "support" screwed to the sail panels. On mine there was 6 welds holding the plug to the support flange  except where the plug welds to the drip rails on each side and the lead holds the rest of the plug to the body and fills in the gap. :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser