News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would you say the dash is semi gloss or flat black?

Started by bull, December 07, 2007, 08:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Maybe some pictures would help. Is the dash metal behind the pad considered semi gloss or flat black?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on December 07, 2007, 08:07:56 PM
Maybe some pictures would help. Is the dash metal behind the pad considered semi gloss or flat black?

Bull, the dash frame is actually "suede" Its mixed in laquer and the flatting agent used is special for creating a rough but very durable finish and the % of gloss is very low
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 07, 2007, 08:14:18 PM

Bull, the dash frame is actually "suede" Its mixed in laquer and the flatting agent used is special for creating a rough but very durable finish and the % of gloss is very low

Do you happen to have the formula for that? My dash is being painted and I want it to be right.

JimShine

The PPG code is 9324 (1968 suede finish satin black 9324, 1969 is suede finish Jewel Black 9324, same paint, just different name)

You may have a problem getting this local. Most mixers no longer handle lacquers.

I use autocolorlibrary.com to get my lacquers. They are a great place to deal with and they will make all the weird stuff like organosol and interior paints.

OttawaCharger

thats some good info there guys and with perfect timing.  I was just contemplating getting my dash powder coated and I had no idea what % gloss to use.  Now I think I know which one. Thanks!  :cheers:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

yeahitsgotahemi!

I read on www.69hemi.com that "mopaints" sells the stuff. Heres the number that is located in the links section on that site. 732-846-1044
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

Shakey

I, as Jim had mentioned, had a difficult time getting a local guy to come up with proper paint, even with the two or three different codes I supplied them with.  I chose to simply use SEM Trim Black as I figured it looked close enough for me.

Pretty tough to get a real idea from the photo but it beats payin' airfare to Toronto for a closer look.

gasoline_24

If you want it to look original, call Mopaints and get the original mix from them.  I know they are expensive, but they are great to work with and have lots of information as to all the other parts that get painted with the same paint.  I just got a call yesterday from my body guy and he has painted all my components with the Mopaints black suede.  I will try and post some pics tomorrow or Monday after I pick them up.

mally69

what ever you do don't pull a stunt like i did, i painted mine gloss  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :slap:  i know i didnt relize the outcome to that until the sun reflected it and blinded my ass going down the road  :eyes:

High Impact

But what about the texture?  What if thats in sad shape too?

I'll tell you what I did,   :angel:   not the best idea,  :popcrn:    Now it might have alittle to much texture?

I used the "WRINKLE" paint used for air cleaners and such.............At first it didnt do anything,   so I used my little propane torch to heat the back side of the dash while it was drying and sure-a-nuff  it "wrinkled" up just like the can!   Actually,  it looks good......... but an EXPERT would :slap:   

Just thought Id share :nana:

gasoline_24

Here is a pic of the dash fresh from my body guy.  It is difficult to show how great this looks with a picture.  The texture came out great.  Love the Mopaint products even though they are expensive.