News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Street 440 from "Big-Block Mopar Performance"

Started by zerfetzen, December 08, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerfetzen

Below, I just typed exactly what I saw (on page 142) in Chuck Senatore's "Big-Block Mopar Performance" book (First Edition, 1999) for a street 440:

Block: any 440 block, any year
Bore: 0.030"
Crank: stock steel, race prepped
Rods: stock, full prep, HD bolts
Pistons: Keith Black cast or lightweight forged 10:1 compression
Rings: moly, file fit
Bearings: all tri-metal, mains fully grooved
Cam: hydraulic or solid
Cam Drive: chain
Oil Pump: high volume
Oil Pan: min. 6 qt, 1/2" pickup
Heads: ported stock iron
Valvetrain: HD stock style okay
Intake: high rise dual plane or single plane
Carburetor: 750-850 cfm

The street engine with a Mopar .509 hydraulic cam, bowl-ported stock heads with 2.14"/1.81" valves, light pistons, and single-plane intake should put a well set up B/E body into the 11.80-12.30 ET range.

In an A-body, this is a solid 11-second performer.  Generally, power is in the 450-500 horsepower range.  This setup needs an 11-inch converter and a shift point of about 6200 rpm for best performance.  More porting to the heads and a medium lift (.557" to .600") solid cam can be used for more performance in this combo with not much loss of driveability.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

Hot_Rodder

I have that book, something of intrest in it, but being the year that it was made, I wonder what kind of things they would add to it now with some of the stuff that has came out since '99, heck it's almost 10 years old now... :o. They have the street version you just posted and then there's a track version running a little bit different stuff, but still about the same build, well sort of.

zerfetzen

Somehow I knew I'd be posting the track version... :icon_smile_big:  Ok, expect to see that one here in another thread...
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda