News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger is home after 4 months in the fabricators shop.

Started by 2harleyriders, December 09, 2007, 05:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2harleyriders

Finally get her home and now she is ready for paint.   :icon_smile_big:
Thats how I roll.

2harleyriders

That is a metal hood I got off of e-bay last year.  I am going back to the original color that was b2 light metallic blue with a full vinyl top.  I am thinking of a white top to set it off a little. That is the 440 sitting in the back ground that has to be rebuilt.  I wanted to change the color but with the b5 interior I am limited to exterior color options.
Thats how I roll.

2harleyriders

any estimates of what I might spend to have this thing painted?  All of the rust issues have been repaired.  Now it needs to have body filler and paint applied.  The metal fabricator cost me $6,000.   :icon_smile_blackeye:  I am thinking around $3,500??? to paint it.  Some one told me take what you think it will cost you to restore a car and tripple that number.  i think they were right.  It would have been cheaper to go to Barret Jackson. :lol:
Thats how I roll.

Charger-Bodie

It depends alot on what you expect from the body shop. Do you want it assembled ? jambs ? gine compartment? trunk floor? Or do you want it finished out painted and buffed ready for you to assemble it?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

2harleyriders

I will be doing the assembly once it is painted.  It does need to have body filler applied, sanded, re-primed, painted and all pannels assembled on the car.   
Thats how I roll.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 2harleyriders on December 09, 2007, 07:46:55 PM
I will be doing the assembly once it is painted.  It does need to have body filler applied, sanded, re-primed, painted and all pannels assembled on the car.   
do you know what the shop labor rate is in youre area for a good shop?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

2harleyriders

A freind's body shop will do it for $35 an hour but they don't work on older cars normally they do crash repairs but said they would do it.  I am not real excited about them doing it though.  I am guessing that a good shop is going to be around $60 an hour??  I would assume there is a good solid week or two in labor plus materials?  I know they don't work on them all day long I am saying 40 to 80 total hours at this point?
Thats how I roll.

hemi-hampton

How much it cost depends on what kind of job/quality you want/expect. $3,500 wont get you a Show car but a average job if your not nit picky at all. What state do you live in? Bring to Detroit if nearby. LEON.

daytonalo

A show paint job starts around 5k in NJ , that is just paint no body work

AutoRust

With paint work, you get what you pay for. Some paint is now $5-600 a gallon !!
I tell people this all the time about paint.
I do a lot with racecars at the local short tracks. We can paint these cars with a broom because it only needs to look good from 4o feet away at 60 mph.
The closer you want to get, the more it will cost.
Lets take Maaco for instance, you can get a car painted for $1500-2000 range. The closer you look, the more flaws you will see. A $3-5000 paint job should look good in close, with no runs or funny stuff anywhere. Add in a good body guy, I think you will spend $10,000.
Make sure you look at what they do, talk to the people that have had stuff painted there, and check out the shop carefully. If you see lots of old cars in various states of repairs, and a lot of dust on them, you know theres not a lot going on, and it could take years to get it done. So many shops want to use old cars as "fill work" but get busy and never seem to get them done. Be patient and you will find the right place.

Good luck

Dave

:cheers:
Nothing to see here folks, its just a Bluesmobile

2harleyriders

Leon, I am in the St. Louis area.  I am  lookling for a real good job.  I have about $17,000 in the car now the way it sits and I don't want to cheap out now.  I do have another question for you body guys.  Can i have somebody do the filler work, sand, and primer and then have painted a few months later?  Is it bad to let it sit in primer for a few months?  The reason I ask is,  it is hard for me to save up $10,000.  I like to spend.  I can however come up with a few grand at atime if I break it up a little. 
Thats how I roll.

hemi-hampton

St. Louis a long way from Detroit. Like Dad69 said. If possible I like to let them sit in primer for a week or 2 or up to a month anyways to fully dry. This way no Shrinkage after painting. I also like to let the paint sit awhile before rubbing for same reason but certain Clears will get Rock hard & impossible to sand/rub after a week. LEON.

dragonw

I have 1500.00 in materials doing viper blue 525.00 gallon and the shop is charging me 25.00 and hour and letting me help with the grunt work its been there 6 months ive paid 6000.00 so far and its in the final block sanding stage im hoping another 1500.00 to paint and wet sand and buff its a 73 hardtop..and then the mirrors and new cat whiskers the stripe kit and on and on I dont want to think about how much ive spend.lol
1973 charger 440 727

remta1

primer attracts moisture if left to long , agree with the other guys dont skimp on anything now , especially as the car is looking so good at the end of the day the paint is the most noticable thing on the car , instead of saving .. why not get a loan ( depending on your finances of course ) that way you can play now , pay later  :2thumbs: