News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

$10,000+ Paint Job...... ? DT??

Started by PocketThunder, October 03, 2005, 12:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

So i have a guy (local $100,000 resto guy) stop by this morning to look at my 68.  He said $10,000 will get me close to paint.  (I am selling my house and downsizing, moving next month and the next house is gonna be a "project" so, i've got no more time to work on my 68 but i've free'd up a lot of money towards my Charger fund.)  So i'm gonna have someone tag in on finishing it for me.  I'm better at Carpentry than body work.

So at first i knew he was gonna say $10,000, but i was hoping for $7k.  (because thats what i have saved up)  Anyways, he looks it over for 2 minutes and says, "You've got a LOT of work to do here."  And we get to a $10,000 starting point to get this car ready for paint. ready for paint means = i've done the trunk floor and quarters and rear valence, (a ameture half assed job) then he does the correct work to my first time metal patch job, and gets it ready for paint.  I know its gonna cost this much but can i justify dropping probably $15,000 on a body and paint job...?  (thats probably what it cost nowadays and i'm just catching up...)

I've got my C500 to stick all my money into, should i sell off this 68 and focus on the C500?  Or should i tough it out with the 68 and drive it for a year or two, and then sell the 68 and start sinking $$$$$ into the C500?   Crap! (I should buy cars already finished)

I told the guy that i'm probably gonna bite the bullet and take my car to him but i had to talk to my finance person first (my spouse)  she was pissed as usual but she knows we wont lose money on the car if we ever sell.  So......... do i bail on the "68 and get going on the C500 or finish the 68 and do the C500 in a year or two??

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Blown70

Well I would do the 500.  I guess that is my opinion.  I would suppose you can always do the 68,  unless you fix the 68 sell it and take that $$ and put it into the C500.  But I guess what do you want a done 68 or a done C500? 

Selling well is that something you want to do?  Or only for the $$?  If the later don't you will not be happy. 

bull

This is just me but I like to finish one project before I start another. If I had two project cars needing work I would concentrate on the one closest to being done before starting on the other. That way I'm not scatter-brained with worrying about multiple issues and can sooner enjoy the fruits of one project before starting another. It's like tearing up the bathroom for a remodel before putting the moulding and cupboard doors to finish the kitchen remodel.

He says $10k for close to paint but I know paint itself is very expensive. You could be looking at a total of around $14k, which is a far cry from $7k. Me, I'd rather spend $7k on one that needs a few things rather than $10k on 2/3 of a job and still not have a finished C500.

THE CHARGER PUNK

sell the 68 and slam all ur $$$ into the 500 youll have alot more fun in a 500 because of its value.
a 68 is just a 68 rare but not really a 69 500 is something you never come across ever. so my votes on the 500-MATT

cudaken

You have a message Pocket.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Drop Top

Value wise I would have to agree. Do the 500 first. But, on the other hand for the fun factor. Do the 68 as a driver first. Take it to someone else that dosen't take it as far as that person. It dosen't have to be perfict. Then you can drive it and have fun with it. The 500 needs to be done as nice as possable. You can take it to the person your talking about then. This will take much time and money and because of the value factor you may not want to drive it after your finished with it. Just food for thought.

Old Moparz

I like Drop Top's idea, do one nicely & the other as a driver. If you sink a big amount into both, (even if you can afford to) you'll end up having 2 cars you'll be worried to death over. Afraid to park it without velvet ropes, afraid to let the rugrat in it, worried about where bicycles, lawnmowers & other garage type clutter happen to be. When I wanted my Scamp done 10 years ago, I got a few very expensive estimates between $3500 & $5000 to do some minor quarter panel rust & paint. At the time, these cars were selling for that in excellent shape. I couldn't justify spending that & almost didn't do the car until I found a local guy in a small shop for $1600 even.

It's not a show car, but looks very good from 10 feet away. I don't want to let anything happen to it, but I know I can walk away from it at a cruise or let my 6 year old daughter climb around in it & not lose sleep. I'll spend more time, & probably more money, on some of my other cars like the Charger & the Satellite ragtop, since they're worth a few bucks more in the long run.

Personally, I'd keep both the 500 & the other one if I could.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

PocketThunder

The 68 is gonna get done first.  It'll be my driver.  If i dont have a car to drive next summer my heads gonna explode.  I've went two summers now with no musclecar on the road. :flame:   I talked to my brother the other night and his boss does body work on the side in his shop.  He does excellent work, the paint on my brothers truck is 10 feet deep.  So he's gonna stop by in a couple weeks to give the 68 a rub down and then we'll talk turkey..  My brother said $7000 sounds more like it.  and thats what i have saved up. 

So, I'll give it to him if he will take it.  Otherwise i'm gonna put floaters on it, roll it down Lexington Parkway to the river, and send it down the Mississippi to cudaken!  Then i'll save up for the big buck resto on the 500.  Or sell the 68 to pay for it.  No, i'd better not do that, i told my spouse it was her car when i drug it home, she probably wont want me to sell her car...

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

myk

10K for a paint job?  I can't even imagine what a paint job like that would even look like, let alone decide it's whether it's worth it nor not...If I had that kind of money I'd spend it on the power train/mechanicals and just drive the car primered.  I don't know, when it comes to certain areas of car work I've never placed much attention on the paint...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

General_01

Your still gonna be without a car next summer Paul. At least Katy can cruise with us. :lol:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Old Moparz

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 06, 2005, 04:05:34 PM
The 68 is gonna get done first.   It'll be my driver.   If i dont have a car to drive next summer my heads gonna explode.   I've went two summers now with no musclecar on the road. :flame:     I talked to my brother the other night and his boss does body work on the side in his shop.   He does excellent work, the paint on my brothers truck is 10 feet deep.   So he's gonna stop by in a couple weeks to give the 68 a rub down and then we'll talk turkey..   My brother said $7000 sounds more like it.   and thats what i have saved up.  

So, I'll give it to him if he will take it.   Otherwise i'm gonna put floaters on it, roll it down Lexington Parkway to the river, and send it down the Mississippi to cudaken!   Then i'll save up for the big buck resto on the 500.   Or sell the 68 to pay for it.   No, i'd better not do that, i told my spouse it was her car when i drug it home, she probably wont want me to sell her car...

Paul
in St. Paul

:2thumbs:  More than one car is cool as long as you have the space.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

73rallye440magnum

sell me the 500 and finish your 68.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

MoparMotel

Man,

That sounds way too high.........The body on mine was not real bad but had quite a few dents in it and the trunk pan had rust in it. The quaters had been replaced but they didnt do a good job. He straightened out the body and is going to paint it for $6,500. He showed me some cars in his shop that he painted and he does EXCELLENT work. He also pulled the motor and trans for that price.
1968 Dodge Charger

PocketThunder

Quote from: General_01 on October 09, 2005, 10:56:26 PM
Your still gonna be without a car next summer Paul. At least Katy can cruise with us. :lol:

Shut up.....or you're gonna get one of these  :icon_smile_blackeye:           

:icon_smile_big:    :icon_smile_big:    :icon_smile_big: 

cudaken

Pocket, I am taking appmonents. Man I am to Cheap. Doing what I would call nices 98,000 mile Charger, not pulling the 383 but I am at $5000.00 and that INC sheet metal, paint and rear bumper.

Hope to hear from Televis Sunday, rather do is first.

Did not get the job at MACO, owner did not understand why you need to use metal patches on rust? After all, "there is no warranty on rust" was what I was told.

Aw Ho, better get Cuda Ken ;)         
I am back