News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

UPDATED WITH PICTURES Anyone try the aluminum radiator from Radiators US?

Started by blue69, December 17, 2007, 12:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue69

My 70 style modine radiator got taken out by a defective fan clutch. Modine discontinued the radiator so I am looking for a aluminum replacement. I found this one, which is a upright that will bolt to the stock location, use stock hoses, has a transmission cooler, and has holes for my 70 fan shroud. http://www.radiatorsus.com/servlet/the-1756/DODGE-CHARGER-NEW-ALL/Detail Has anyone tried one before. If so what did you think of the quality. How does it cool compare to a stock 3 core 26" radiator? I was also thinking about buying a Griffin muscle car radiator because they are aluminum but look stock. They also come in thicker core sizes. However I am not sure about the epoxy they use to reinforce the tubes. I've read that you cannot repair them because the heat from welding will melt the epoxy. Is that true?

41husk

what is the price I am in the market for a new radiator for the 68
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

41husk

Sorry! I see the price but it looks like they have nothing for a 68 :brickwall:  I paid that much to have mine recored and it is leaking again :brickwall:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Steve P.

VegasMike asked me about these same rads. I called the number (TWICE) and for two days now have still not heard back from them. Just a recording saying (They are busy on other lines). This makes me take a step back as a good business would either call you back or,( if they are on vacation for the holidays), change the answering machine to say so.

If anyone here has used their rad. I would like to know how you like or dislike their product also.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

blue69

I didn't have any trouble getting ahold of them on the phone two weeks ago. He said it was direct fit compared to a stock radiator. It is made in Thailand but has a lifetime warranty and I think it also does not have epoxied tubes. It sounds like it is a home business so the guy could be on vacation. I think they are on central time. I am ready to buy one, just wanted to a buyers' review on it first.

69chargerR/T

They say the radiator fits 70-72 chargers, but the specs. they give look to be the same as my 26" radiator thats in my 69 charger. Why wouldn't this radiator fit in a 68 or 69 charger?? It sure looks the same as the radiator in my 69. Any one know why a 70 charger would be different than a 68 or 69, dodge changed the body style in 71 ??

Thanks, Alan

blue69

The difference is the fan shroud mounting bolts. If you use a 70 radiator you need a 70 fan shroud. I used a modine radiator for a 70 charger in my 69 with a 70 shroud and it fit fine.

69chargerR/T

Quote from: blue69 on December 22, 2007, 11:21:23 AM
The difference is the fan shroud mounting bolts. If you use a 70 radiator you need a 70 fan shroud. I used a modine radiator for a 70 charger in my 69 with a 70 shroud and it fit fine.

blue69, thanks for the info, I've been looking at this same radiator on ebay for my 69 charger and I didn't see why it wouldn't fit in a 69. On ebay I think they had it listed for $209.00, I've been watching this post to see if anyone has tried one of these radiators. Hopefully someone out there has tried one and will respond, if not I might just go for it and get one and hope for the best !! Its a real good price and I can't afford to buy the ones I see listed at $499.00 to $599.00 for custom fit radiator !!!!!!!!!!     
                                                                                   Thanks, Alan

blue69

69chargerR/T I ended up buying it from eBay for $207 plus $25 shipping. I'll let you know how it is when it gets here. Does anyone know if a 2863215 fan is correct for a 69 charger r/t with a 440?

daytonalo

Keep us posted ! I was told that new gen two row  dissipate heat more efficiently than the old 4 row

69chargerR/T

Quote from: blue69 on December 28, 2007, 07:26:08 PM
69chargerR/T I ended up buying it from eBay for $207 plus $25 shipping. I'll let you know how it is when it gets here. Does anyone know if a 2863215 fan is correct for a 69 charger r/t with a 440?

blue69, thats a good price on those radiators, I'm going to get one also but it won't be for a few weeks or more. Spent a lot of $$$ on Christmas for the family have to save up some more $$$. Let me know what you think of the radiator, don't know what fan is correct for a 69 charger. Good luck Alan

chargerbr549

The correct fan for the 69 R/T 440 with A/C should be a 2863216 which is 18.5 inches in diameter although I had the 2863215 fan which is 18 inches in diameter on my 69 Charger for a while with no problems.

Kevin

blue69

Thanks chargerbr549, that is what I had before, I'll pick up another one this weekend and keep the '215 as a spare. However, considering what happened to my last '216 fan, having an extra .5" of clearance is probably not a bad idea. This time I am going to use an original clutch. I'll make a new post on the radiator install when it gets here.

blue69

I finally got the radiator installed. It wasn't a bolt on. One of the tabs was too long so I had to cut it off. The welds were too thick and had to be filed down a bit. I ended up raising it about 1/4" to get it to fit right (see next picture). Overall it wasn't too bad a install and it polished up nicely.  It had a nice finish on it from the factory. It only took about an hour to get it to look like this. The side brackets are galvanized steel so I couldn't polish them. I still need to paint my fan before I can put the shroud on and test it out, but it will be a while before the rain stops. I did test fit the shroud and it fit perfectly.

NMike

deputycrawford

You have any pics of the completed install. I would like to see pics with the fan and especially the shroud. looks like something I will do in the future.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

charger2fast4u

that is a great looking radiator let us know how it performs. i may have to pick myself one of those up.

blue69

I finished installing the radiator. I can't really compare the 3 core vs aluminum 2 core in this weather because my charger always ran cool in the winter. Here are some more pictures of the fan and shroud. There is some gap in the shroud due to the different shape of the tanks. I probably could have filed the shroud to make the top and bottom flush, but I didn't want to modify it.

deputycrawford

Thank you for the pics Blue. I have other things to fix first but if I have to get another radiator, I will go for the aluminum one. I know a fan and shroud can make or break a radiator. That lloks like one that works. Thanks again. Let us know how it holds up to burnies and neutral drops. lol
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

squeakfinder

:bump:

Just checking to see how these radiators work out.

Anybody have any new info on them?
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Blakcharger440

Quote from: blue69 on January 04, 2008, 10:52:55 PM
I finally got the radiator installed. It wasn't a bolt on. One of the tabs was too long so I had to cut it off. The welds were too thick and had to be filed down a bit. I ended up raising it about 1/4" to get it to fit right (see next picture). Overall it wasn't too bad a install and it polished up nicely.  It had a nice finish on it from the factory. It only took about an hour to get it to look like this. The side brackets are galvanized steel so I couldn't polish them. I still need to paint my fan before I can put the shroud on and test it out, but it will be a while before the rain stops. I did test fit the shroud and it fit perfectly.

So did you have to weld another tab on?   When you raised the radiator up about 1/4 did you have to elongate the bolt holes?

blue69

I don't remember if I elongated the hole or drilled a new one. But I did not have to weld anything. So far it is still cooling great with the smaller diameter '215 fan.

69charger440

Dang, they are out of stock!!!  :flame: Any know where else to get one!!!!
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

Jesco

Hi,
Have install a aluminum radiator like this in my car but have problem with leakage from one side of the transmisson cooler (on radiator). Have extern oil cooler for the 727 but run it over/by-pass the radiator.

The stock pipe/tube from the transmission is bolted to the radiator but it's leak between the radiator and fitting (who the stock pipe bolt on)...

Thanks!
1964 Dodge 330 Super Stock Clon
1969 Dodge Charger R/T

squeakfinder

I'm assuming your talking about ATF leaking. Did you put new fittings on the radiator? They score pretty easy.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....