News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Nice read about Daytona's

Started by 1969chargerrtse, December 21, 2007, 10:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I was cleaning out a desk of mine and found this article I saved from Sept 07.  Nice article about the cars and their history.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

That article reminds me of the current Hot Rod magazine. The main theme of the current issue is '100 Most Influenctal Hot Rods" (I think) and guess what #1 is.......the General Lee :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mike DC

Yeah, I've read that.  Cool citation.

The listings of the Indy & F1 track fastest laps really puts the '69 Daytona's accomplishments at the time into perspective.  I was aware that the Daytonas were faster at the time but I didn't realize what a drastic gap it was.  Daytonas were breaking 200 mph at a time when the Indy & F1 cars' numbers were literally 30 and 50 mph slower.   (So much for the drunken redneck knuckle-dragging image of early stock car engineering.)

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

learical1

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 22, 2007, 09:40:34 AM
Yeah, I've read that.  Cool citation.

The listings of the Indy & F1 track fastest laps really puts the '69 Daytona's accomplishments at the time into perspective.  I was aware that the Daytonas were faster at the time but I didn't realize what a drastic gap it was.  Daytonas were breaking 200 mph at a time when the Indy & F1 cars' numbers were literally 30 and 50 mph slower.   (So much for the drunken redneck knuckle-dragging image of early stock car engineering.)

True, the Indy Cars and F-1 Cars were slower, but they didn't run at the same tracks.  I remember reading somewhere years ago that a 1970 Indy car would probably lap somewhere around 220-225 mph at Talladega.  F-1 ONLY runs at road courses.  One can only guess what they would have done on an oval.  I'm not trying to downplay what the Daytona accomplished, just wanted to put a little more realistic view on the facts.  (IE, it's not the NASCAR boys fault if the Indy car boys were too stupid to shoot for the 200 MPH lap record at somewhere other than Indianapolis Motor Speedway.)
Bruce

Ghoste

How do the modern NASCAR stockers compare when they run at the Brickyard as opposed to Talladega?

Aero426

True, the Indy Cars and F-1 Cars were slower, but they didn't run at the same tracks.  I remember reading somewhere years ago that a 1970 Indy car would probably lap somewhere around 220-225 mph at Talladega.  F-1 ONLY runs at road courses.  One can only guess what they would have done on an oval.  I'm not trying to downplay what the Daytona accomplished, just wanted to put a little more realistic view on the facts.  (IE, it's not the NASCAR boys fault if the Indy car boys were too stupid to shoot for the 200 MPH lap record at somewhere other than Indianapolis Motor Speedway.)

I pretty much agree with this.    The 1970 and '71 Indy cars did not yet have the kind of wings to develop serious downforce.   But once they grew real wings for '72. the pole speed at Indy went from from 178 to 195; that's 17 mph in one year!   And that's at a track with 9 degrees of banking - almost flat.   Foyt's Coyote Indy car ran Talladega at 217 in 1974.   

I'm quite sure the 1970 spec Can-Am cars would have no problem running over 200 at Daytona or Talladega if they had a reason to do so.   

69_500

Well you also have to take into consideration of the sheer size difference in a 69 Daytona, and a 69 Indy car as well. Granted the Indy 500 track isn't banked but at 9 degree's, but it was a smaller and lighter car running around the track. It didn't need to make as much downforce, just proportional amounts.

Aero426

I'm sure those 1970 Indy cars could run at 200 on an open track.   The later cars would put a world of hurt on an wing car. 

Look at the differences between these cars.   

First is Al Unser's 1970 Indy winner.   Only a small wing on each side of the driver.

Next, 1971 is basically the same car with two tiny winglets in the nose.

Lastly is Donohue's 1972 winner.   

All I'm saying is that the earlier 1970 and 1971 cars were pretty much bullets with very little aero aid to create downforce.    The 1972 crop of McLarens and Eagles changed everything for American open wheel racing. 

Chrysler pulled a good sell job in my opinion on getting the wing legal on the Daytona, after the FIA banned the high wings as used in F1 and Can-Am after the 1969 season.    This is the all-conquering McLaren M8B from 1969 (12 wins in 12 races).   The wing is mounted directly to the suspension upright, versus the Daytona being mounted to the body.

BROCK

Very nicely put Doug! 

Ford's GT40 MKII reached 204mph on the Mulsane Strait at LeMans in 66.
Coupled with a few 30mph turns & lap speeds go down quickly.
Just found this UTube vid.  Hope the link works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt2XoHTxgjg

Jim Hall's Chaparels rank right up there with McLarens cars to me :2thumbs:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Aero426

That Top Gear segment is really nice.

I actually maintain a Chaparral shrine here at the house, and have a fascination with anything associated with Jim Hall, Can-Am and GT-40.   :yesnod:

pettybird

WOW I want that '73 press book!!!!!!!   NICE!

Aero426

Quote from: pettybird on December 23, 2007, 11:43:37 AM
WOW I want that '73 press book!!!!!!!   NICE!

I thought you might notice that.    Yes, it is a yummy press book.   There was one of those on Ebay not too long ago.    They should go for $50-$75, but if you wait around, you may be able to find one for less.   In the other photo behind the blue Chaparral II slot car box is the 72 L & M press book for the 917-10, which is also nice.