News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WANTED:pictures of Charlie Glotzbach's 99# charger daytona

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, October 03, 2005, 03:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

any pictures of charlie glotzbach's charger daytona would be great.-MATT

p.s. can anyone identify what rims were on his car?

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

THE CHARGER PUNK

Todd Wilson

hemigeno

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on October 03, 2005, 07:30:24 PM
i wonder whats with the 429?-MATT

I asked Charlie that in September.   He said that with the 7 liter maximum displacement rule, 429 was the most CI you could get and stay under the limit.   Ford had the 429, and Ray Nichels (Charlie's car owner) didn't want to be "outdone" by Ford, so he sometimes listed the displacement as 429 on his hood too.   Most of the engine builders bored them out right up to the limit anyway, so they were 426 engines in name only.

I scanned in a postcard I had Charlie sign for me that shows the wheels fairly closely.   The pic that Todd posted is Wayne Perkins' car - that's a real J-code Hemi Daytona, incidentally!

Hope this helps!

Geno

hotrod98

Pictures like that give me goose bumps. Just one more reason to build a clone.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

OldGuy

Nice postcard!!  My two favorite Daytona's - #99 and the #71 K & K Insurance Daytona :drool5: - dosen't get any better than that!! :2thumbs:
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

Ghoste

Glotzbach looking over at Baker like that makes me wonder what he was thinking at that very moment?

THE CHARGER PUNK

i like the look of glotzbachs car b4 he was sponsored by DOW the big red diamonds look dumb on car red mixed with purple :sick:-MATT

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Ghoste on October 05, 2005, 03:03:51 PM
Glotzbach looking over at Baker like that makes me wonder what he was thinking at that very moment?

That's Bobby Issac in the 71 car. ;D

BBD

Ghoste

That's right.  My apologies to wing car fans everywhere.  Baker was the red number 6 car correct?

hemigeno

Yep, the #6 is/was owned by Cotton Owens.  The color Looked something like R6 Red with a painted black "vinyl" top. 

Cotton just this year pulled one of the actual #6 Daytonas out of the Darlington Raceway Museum.  Took it home, changed the fluids & spun the engine a few times, flipped the switch and it fired right up - after 35 years in storage!

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on October 07, 2005, 03:55:02 AM
That's right.   My apologies to wing car fans everywhere.   Baker was the red number 6 car correct?

Ghoste, don't beat yourself up too badly.  Baker did drive the #71 K&K car for a while, just not when they were running wingcars.

From the Capitol City 500 at Richmond in 1972 (towards the tail end of the season) through the Winston 500 @ Talladega in 1974 one of the first 5 or 6 races of that season) Buddy did drive the #71 car.

That's probably why you made that connection.  No apologies necessary!

:cheers:

Ghoste

Thanks, but you know what?  I just finished watching OneBadSuperbird's dvd of the guest speakers at the most recent Talladega wing car meet and Baker and Glotzbach were both guest speakers.  Not to mention that Bobby has been a frequent subject lately in the Mopar mags because of that biography that is out on him.  That info is fairly fresh on my mind right now so it's an important piece of Charger trivia I shouldn't have screwed up.
Normally, yes.  Right now, no.