News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

death proof chargers?

Started by Death1970Proof, December 24, 2007, 09:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

THE CHARGER PUNK

Quote from: Ghoste on January 10, 2008, 04:23:06 PM
Are you sure?

EDIT: Never mind Matt, I just checked and you're right, of course. That's what I get for doubting the movie master. I apologize.

Sall good broski :icon_smile_big:

ChargerSG

Hahahaha just a days drive :icon_smile_big: But with a trailer behind the van that day drive easy become more :icon_smile_wink:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Death1970Proof

Quote from: Ghoste on January 10, 2008, 04:44:05 PM
He didn't get the hood ducks?

The ebay auction that was posted for the '68 stuntcar already had the duck removed before they were sold off. You could still see where the holes were drilled in the hood...

"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

Ghoste

So they're already sitting on a glass shelf at a Planet Hollywood location somewhere?  :smilielol:

kylem4711

Quote from: ChargerSG on January 10, 2008, 04:36:50 PM
There is a guy here in Sweden that claims he got the stuntcars from Deathproof(he bought them before the movie was out). He got 4, 3 68 and one 69. But he havent any papers on it, but 2 of the 68 is totally trashed.

Posting a pic of the 69, im thinking in buying it(he have lowerd the price since he cant prove that thet are from the movie). You can see the other ones in the backround of 69.

sounds about right.
those are the exact pictures i saw.

i didnt even know what death proof was when i was told about those cars.     

i was also told that they wanted 5k for each one
1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed

Mike DC

Those cars look legit to me too.

Hollywood's rollcage work is usually something you can spot.  Tube placement, type of metal & size of the tubing itself, the bend radius, etc.  People trying to build clones might get the car's paint color & wheels right every time, but they never get details right on the ugly stuff.

ChargerSG

He is not asking 5K, but like $11500. How can you really tell if those are real(not just its look legit) and is there any chanse to get paper on a thing like that?
Anyone know where those ducks came from?

kylem4711

Quote from: ChargerSG on January 11, 2008, 04:33:34 AM
He is not asking 5K, but like $11500. How can you really tell if those are real(not just its look legit) and is there any chanse to get paper on a thing like that?

when i was told about them,   i was told 5.
but they all sold,  so i guess now the guy wants more.

1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed

Death1970Proof

Quote from: ChargerSG on January 11, 2008, 04:33:34 AM

The ducks were first used and most remembered from the '70s film "Convoy". These are ready available from Ebay which I purchased mine. Yes they are expensive, But I wanted one for my death proof replica project.  The seller that sells these on Ebay are the same folks who supplied the ducks for the film, cool eh?  :2thumbs:
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

Mike DC

It occurs to me that a duck hood ornament from "Convoy" isn't gonna be quite like General Lee props or something.  There's not gonna be a million counterfeiters out there trying to pass off every orange hunk of metal as "real." 

I think it's unlikely that anyone is gonna to all the paintstaking trouble to cast up fake ones of those ducks (while probably competing with legit castings).   Making any sort of profit off that operation would be tough.  How many people want those things enough to spend several hundred dollars on one?   Not gonna be very many buyers out there. 

Death1970Proof

At $175 a pop there probably wont be to many buyers...but I like mine  :2thumbs:

SFRT

the same guy has been making and selling the Rubber Duck for like 30 years. You can get them at truck stops and off ebay. I bough one at a truck stop outside el paso like 20 years ago.  :lol:
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ChargerSG

If i buy one of those i will see if i go for the duck, its kind of ugly :D Nice score SFRT :icon_smile_big:

T16

He claims this one to be the "main" stuntcar.. driven 80% in the movie
Roll cage
Willwood brakes
440 HP

ChargerSG

T16 do you know how many of them stuntcars he had/has?

THE CHARGER PUNK

time to *BUMP* this thread any updates on this porject car your building?

THE CHARGER PUNK

found this pic on completely different site and the charger looks to not even have a scratch on it so im thinking hero car?

Mike DC

Those bashed up cars in the most recent pics are legit.  I'd bet a whole lot of money on it. 

All the workmanship & raw material on the rollcages looks just like the movie cars.  The movie cars were very different from normal race car stuff.   

Dave22443

If you ask me that movie was a pathetic waste of some of the most sought after Mopar muscle there is.  I can't believe Mopar fans support this kind of crap.

Its ridiculous the amount of waste in these movies and shows.  For every main car you see on screen, several more are sacrificed and lost.  You would think in this day and age they would be inclined to go more CGI.  Its a lot safer, looks just as good as real and its doesn't trash valuable cars.

How many Mopars destroyed in Death Proof?  How many in the DOH movie?

And if you don't think CGI looks real, think Jurassic Park.  Most people know that the dino was really good CGI, but how many people realized that the Explorer he chewed up was too?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Mike DC

Unfortunately CGI work tends to cost a whole lot more than wrecking live vintage cars. 

They can get a Charger jumped or rolled for maybe $40-50K at the worst, whereas it will cost several hundred thousand dollars to really CGI it well.  (And even then, the live stunt usually still looks way better.)  They usually only want to go to CGI work for car stunts when something is too dangerous.  Or when it's a risk of wrecking someone/something that's worth a lot more than just the car involved. 

Fast/Furious#2 jumped a '69 Camaro onto a boat.  But the boat itself was worth over a $milllion and a real car landing onto the deck would have caved it in.   So they did it with CGI.  They still wrecked two '69 Camaros just getting the raw footage for the CGI guys to manipulate. 

------------------------------------------------------------

The Explorers in "Jurassic Park" were CGI in some of the shots, but they were real whenever you saw them up close.  And even some of the CGI shots were images of real wrecked Explorers dropped into different background plates.  The CGI was workable, but it wouldn't have sold all those scenes without some real sledgehammered Explorers on hand too. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you ask me, large-scale miniatures (usually with a few digital tweaks) are the best answer for realism while saving cars. 

The recent "Batman Begins" Batmobile rooftop-hopping footage was done that way.   They built a huge elaborate 1/5th-scale rooftop set inside a soundstage that covered hundreds of sqare feet.  They drove a highly-detailed remote control Batmobile about the size of a coffee table. 

Expensive as hell, but it looks ABSOLUTELY real and it created lots of footage that would have been totally impossible in reality. 

Death1970Proof

Quote from: Dave22443 on January 17, 2008, 03:47:41 AM
If you ask me that movie was a pathetic waste of some of the most sought after Mopar muscle there is.  I can't believe Mopar fans support this kind of crap.

Its ridiculous the amount of waste in these movies and shows.  For every main car you see on screen, several more are sacrificed and lost.  You would think in this day and age they would be inclined to go more CGI.  Its a lot safer, looks just as good as real and its doesn't trash valuable cars.

How many Mopars destroyed in Death Proof?  How many in the DOH movie?

And if you don't think CGI looks real, think Jurassic Park.  Most people know that the dino was really good CGI, but how many people realized that the Explorer he chewed up was too?

To each his own ...I agree to a point and then I dont...

I have never been into trashing mopar muscle but whats wrong with something when YOU think that it's cool??? I just happen to be one of those guys that seen this film and just fell in love the charger(s) used in the film and was determined to build one. If you go into the deaths of chargers  in movies the list is quite lengthy. I dont hear to many people ranting about the 300ish figure destroyed during the dukes of hazzard. Then you have to figure that the movies that followed -more chargers destroyed. So in death proof they bashed about 12-15 68-70 chargers, but the reality is that they didnt destroy ALL of them. It is sad but does it make it wrong for me to like the image of a '69 charger and '70 challenger side by side hauling @**.??  Im not causing another DOH debate because we dont need that. If you like a doh clone, if you like a bullit clone, or if you like the car from blade- DO IT! Hollywood doesnt care about how much vintage muscle is destroyed. Their take on it is to go out there, crash it and tell'em to make it look good. Im not a big fan of CGI myself. The real thing looks better because in fact it's just that REAL. To much sweet mopar muscle was destroyed to point out just 1 or 2 films. It would be nice for hollywood to destroy more import cars instead of mopar stuff- they do destroy it and sadly there's not a thing we can do about it. Remember the '70 charger from fast and the furious? It was the sweetest car in that film and they wrecked it  :flame: what do ya do? We support cool cars on screen BUT NOT the wreckage of them!

Mike DC

The fate of musclecars does not depend on whether or not Hollywood wrecks another dozen raggedy ones. 

It depends a lot more on future young car guys continuing to fall in love with them, and the reproduction industry's continuing investment. 

Both of these things are helped a lot by musclecars being used as badass rides in TV & movies.

JimShine

I know of one survivor that was fixed up. Now the guy is gung ho on putting it back to stock! I was offered the hood and ornament (for a price) after he is done. The hood ornament is available, but there is actually a custom base made for it you can't buy anywhere. They made one type with a roughed out V shape that is further trimmed to fit the hood (nova, Charger). Initially they made 1 type of base formed to fit a Charger hood, but they quickly discovered that each Charger was different as each had differing degrees of bodywork and damage making almost each hood a little different. So they went back, made one base with enough metal left to allow trimming to fit.