News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does my truck have enough power to tow my car trailer?

Started by Telvis, July 25, 2005, 11:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telvis

I have a 99 Ram pickup with a 3.9 V6 and a manual transmission. I have done several things over the last month to improve performance. I have added a Jet chip and a K & N air filter. It has made a noticeable improvement. I really like the truck and it only has 64K miles on it. I would like to keep it.  Here's my dillema. I recently bought a 16' flatbed trailer to haul my car. I have hauled some with my truck and it seems to pull just fine. I pulled my brothers Mustand last week with no problems. Is the truck built well enough to continue using it? I don't want to ruin one of the best trucks I have ever owned. I have an 85 Ram pickup with low miles and a 318 V8 in it. I could use it but on long trips it's not very comfortable. Not to mention the AC isnt working right now. I have thought about selling them both and buying another truck. I really don't want to do that but I guess I will probably end up having to unless I get reassurance that my 99 can handle the stress.

Telvis

I messed up. I had intended to put this in General Tech. Sorry Troy I made a mistake. I would move it if I could.  :rotz:

Daytona R/T SE

It will do it, but for how long, and with what margin of safety?     I've towed my trailer for the last several years with my 94 Ram 1500. but it's the long bed, 360 automatic. I've towed my 72 Charger to the nationals and back 425 miles each way, without any problems and I've even towed my 71 Imperial to the storage barn-short distance, 20 miles, Before the Ram I had a 1990 six-cylinder F-150 manual 5-speed, I towed several cars with it, up to and including a 72 New Yorker.   The moral of the story is, you can do it with a 1/2 ton truck, but I wouldn't recommend it. You are pushing the limits of what the truck is built to haul, the 16 foot trailer you just bought is too short, a Charger is going to hang off the back a foot or two and will not allow any room on the trailer to adjust the car forward and back to get the proper weight on the tounge. If you are going to tow a stripped body shell to the body shop across town to get it painted, you'll be fine, If you plan on towing your completed big-block car cross country, through the mountains loaded down with coolers, lawn chairs spare parts, tools etc. forget it, you're asking for trouble, and if something happens and it's proven that you overloaded your truck, you're in trouble with the law.

Troy

Quote from: Telvis on July 25, 2005, 11:27:28 PM
I messed up. I had intended to put this in General Tech. Sorry Troy I made a mistake. I would move it if I could.  :rotz:

But it's already there... ;)

I don't think I'd try to haul a Charger around too much behind that truck. I am not an expert on towing by any means but Chargers are *heavy* and put a lot of stress on the tow vehicle.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Chryco Psycho

TAlk to CamJam
he flipped his whole truck & tralier onto his car trying to tow with a light vehicle
Towing has to be taken seriously or you can die

Ghoste

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 26, 2005, 01:47:33 AM
Towing has to be taken seriously or you can die

Which is why I get scared everytime I see a minivan with a boat behind it or a camping trailer.  They're always passing you because they're late for their vacation and the trailer is always hopping around.

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Telvis

I'm seeing a trend here. I had hoped that the fact my trrailer has brakes would maybe make a difference as far as safety goes. I had looked at getting a 3/4 ton diesel truck. I guess that's what I am going to end up doing. I had found one on Ebay but the deal fell through due to the seller being suspend from ebay. He was shill bidding on the truck against me. PIG Bastard!

Troy,  I swear that this went to General discussion last night when I posted it. I thought that I had originally put it in this section but when I first went to check it I found it in the wrong section. This morning I was surprised to find it here without the moved label on it. I swear I'm not smoking anything. It really did happen.

Troy

;) It doesn't have to say "Moved" when it gets moved...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Telvis

dodgecharger-fan

More truck.

When my wife wanted a new vehicle, I made sure it would be able to tow the Charger when I needed to.
So far, the rolling shell has had two trips. It might have a few more beofre it runs under it's own power and then it won't need a trailer again unless it's broken or sold.

We got a Ferd because I could get a deal and the Durangos were pricey for what you got at that time.
2002 Ferd Exploder Eddie Bauer with a Class III towing package. Nice and comfy for her, but does a great job pulling the trailer.

She needed a truck because she'd driven a van for 13 years and didn't want to give up the nice view from the high perch that it gave her.
We no longer had a need for a van though - and some of the newer ones were as low as a car and too light to tow with.

Me? I drive a Taurtus  :-\  :icon_smile_sad:  :rotz:

Telvis

If anyone has a 3/4 ton truck they would like to sell let me know. :icon_smile_big: I really like this V6 truck. It's a shame I can't use it.  ::)

RD

Quote from: Telvis on July 26, 2005, 05:22:14 PM
If anyone has a 3/4 ton truck they would like to sell let me know. :icon_smile_big: I really like this V6 truck. It's a shame I can't use it.   ::)

I got a 4580 lb 87 Ramcharger with a 400ci motor in it I will sell you!

are you nutz?  i would never sell it! lol just teasin.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

BigBlockSam

i saw a pop up trailer in front of me on the highway . it looked like it was going down the road by itself. when i caught up to it there was  a little colt pulling it. it was pretty funny.

oh yea, you need more truck   :wave:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Telvis

I think I have found me a truck. It's a 2001 Ram 3/4 ton with 360 motor.  It only has 74K miles on it. It looks good and the price is fair. It's a basic truck but it does have air.  It's exactly what I was looking for.

Deano

I was in your same situation not to long ago. I had a 92 longbed 4x4 v8 dakota, with minor mods. No doubt it would pull the charger on a uhaul trailer. However it would have a hard time maintaining interstate speeds through Iowa. Lots of rolling hills. The main point about pulling isn't how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop! 69 charger on a uhaul car hauler is 5800-6000 lbs. You should have a truck at least 30-40% heavier than the load your pulling. Around town your V6 wouldn't have a problem. Long haul (hills,Mnts) your going to cut the life span. Major factor is even though your being safe going slower, you have to factor in the other idiot. I was due for a new truck anyway, bought a 04 CTD RAM. Awesome truck!! However the price of Desiel went up right afterward. Still love my CTD, wouldnt trade for the hemi. No offence to anyone.

P.S. like someone metioned if your overloaded and in an accident you'll get the brunt of blame.

69 Charger SE Triple Green
04.5 2500 4X4 Cummins QC Ram Graphite
04 jeep GC Limited Graphite
Combat Boots Green

Ghoste

Telvis

Paul G

The tow vehicle is not so much limited by the engine it has but more by it's weight and braking ability. What is the truck's towing capacity rated at in the owners manual? 5000 pounds is about max for a full size truck no matter which engine it has. The trailer is probably 1000 pounds and the car is another 4000. You are at 5000 right there. That truck should be able to handle 5000 pounds. Sometimes a load distributing hitch may be required to get to the 5000 pound limit. Check the owners manual. Having brakes on the trailer makes it a whole lot easier to stop. Stopping the rig safely is the most important part of towing.

Pulling a full load with a small motor is going to be a real drag. It wont be able to get out of it's own way. A bigger more powerfull truck will be much easier on the driver.

Check out this site. http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=6fa7029668685e270d6ee98ecfca3ad5&f=1 They are the best with truck questions. Helped me out a couple of times with my 01 Ram 4x4.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Chryco Psycho

I don`t like the Ramcharger for towing either , the wheel base is 8" shorter than a shortbox truck

Steve P.

:iagree: I do allllllot of towing and the best advise I can give you is to keep your 6 banger for getting around town and buy a very long wheel base heavy ash truck for hauling.. Minimum 3/4 ton for a strong frame and large brakes..

If you can swing it, the 2006 Dodge 4-door w/Cumin's and stick is going to be a true animal.. Your tow vehicle should be at least 10% heavier than your heaviest load. I have been known to put engines far forward in my box when going to pick up a very heavy car...  These guys with 1 ton duellies hauling 2 and 3 cars behind them are crazy. I think California is or has outlawed them from doing so.. At least they are using 5th wheel style haulers..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

KMPX2

I have used my 99 1/2t Ram with a V8 to do alot of towing but was never happy with it. Plans are to buy 1T dually as by next truck. But for now I just got a 90 3/4T Suburban with a heavy duty tow package & a 454/auto. Hated to buy GM but I got a great price on it.