News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fiberglass trunk caps , how much are they ??

Started by daytonalo, January 05, 2008, 12:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

I know metal is better , but very expensive . Fiberglass caps used to be avail through Dayclona , how much were they ?? I will make them them if anybody wants them . With modern adhesives they will be as strong as steel .

Larry

BigBlockSam

i don't know about the glass one but the metal one is $250 . i can;t believe that YOU are looking for a glass one . have you learned nothing grasshopper .     :slap:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

This from the guy that was giving me a rash of sh*t about fiberglass wings. sheesh!!! ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

daytonalo

Recap , my slow friends!! I heard that the tooling was destroyed for the caps . I agree that a metal part is better no doubt, but it is only a cap , not a qtr panel . Have have seen the strength of modern adhesives , stronger than steel , and perfect for this application

Maybe I'm slow
Larry

BigBlockSam

QuoteHave have seen the strength of modern adhesives   

:smilielol:  famous last words
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

daytonalo

All I'm saying is , f/g is better than nothing

69_500

But Grasshopper is the same one that was positive that a fiberglass wing was not nearly as strong as an alluminum one? But yet fiberglass is as stong as steel? Hmmmm, I was always under the impression that steel was harder than alluminum? :nana:

daytonalo

No , the adhesive !! The cap is just that a cap , I'm making them for when the supply of steel ones dry up .

BigBlockSam

Quotefamous last words 

don't worry baby, i'll only put it in half way .

don't worry baby i won't c-m in your mouth

don't worry baby fiberglass is as strong as steel.      :D

daytonalo

I never said glass was as strong as steel , carbon fiber yes !! Ok I wont make them

69_500

:musik010:

Make whatever parts you want. Was just making a comment. Me personally I don't have the ability to make these parts, but yes i do like the fact that some of them are available. However I still prefer origional style parts to alternative methods. IE steel vs fiberglass.

BigBlockSam

daytonalo

Absolutely !!! My logic is simple , no cap or fiberglass cap .

Larry

CornDogsCharger

Personally, I would rather use a steel piece.... BUT..... daytonalo is right.  Today's adhesives are MUCH stronger than steel.  I am in the body shop business and have seen it first hand.  But what do I know  :2thumbs:

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

moparstuart

Quote from: UFO on January 05, 2008, 11:09:30 PM
http://www.officialdayclona.com/services
wow 1700.00 for a superbird nose and 450.00 on a plug. why so cheap from them ? are they just reselling someone elses ????

stinger ????????
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

daytonalo

Cheap enough! Has anyone ever purchased a nose or any other part from Dayclona ?

hotrod98

Quote from: daytonalo on January 06, 2008, 10:02:04 AM
Cheap enough! Has anyone ever purchased a nose or any other part from Dayclona ?

I've tried. I contacted Mike twice about buying a nose, but he said that they were waiting for warmer weather the first time and I don't remember the excuse the second time.  I went ahead and had Don Currie build one for me.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the problem with the parts business and I'm in no way bashing Mike. It's tough supplying parts in this kind of market. If I needed parts, I wouldn't hesitate calling Dayclona.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

BigBlockSam

Quoteand 450.00 on a plug. 

i think you read it wrong. it's  $2400 for the plug . i might try to get a jack hold down bracket from him $75 . Rene

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 06, 2008, 12:14:15 PM
Quote   and 450.00 on a plug. 

i think you read it wrong. it's  $2400 for the plug . i might try to get a jack hold down bracket from him $75 . Rene
thats the steel plug  ,  bird  450 was figerglass at the bottom of the page

BigBlockSam

Old Moparz

Okay, I had my coffee this morning, (maybe someone switched it to decaf) but for whatever reason, I can't figure out what part a "trunk cap" is.   :shruggy:  Is this another term for the trunk lid or deck lid?
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

daytonalo

After you shorten the stock charger deck lid to now fit a Daytona , the cap is used to finish off the the front underside edge . OK Cupcake ??? :icon_smile_big:

Old Moparz

Quote from: daytonalo on January 08, 2008, 11:19:19 AM
After you shorten the stock charger deck lid to now fit a Daytona , the cap is used to finish off the the front underside edge . OK Cupcake ??? :icon_smile_big:

Okay, it was the term trunk cap as opposed to trunk "finish" cap that threw me off. I knew it wasn't the coffee.   :D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

BigBlockSam

Quotewow 1700.00 for a superbird nose and 450.00 on a plug. why so cheap   

thats not cheap for a fiberglass nose . i believe show cars , from canada is about $750-800 for a fiberglass nose but i heard mixed reviews about it.  Rene

hotrod98

Many names for the same thing.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

hotrod98

Charles Addams

daytonalo

That decklid looks rusty and crusty at back edge ??

moparstuart

dillon14

I have a 75 Vega plug and was wondering what do I need to be looking for in metal to bridge the gap between the plug and the altered trunk lid?

Of course that brings up another thing which may be for another post and that is what is the exact dimensions that the trunk lid needs to be?

Thanks

1970 Dodge Coronet R/T 426 Hemi 4-Speed 1 of 4
1969 Boss 429
1968 Shelby GT-500KR 4-Speed Convertible

hotrod98

If you're using the correct factory radius at the front edge of the daytona deck lid, the 3rd gen Charger dutchman panel is almost the exact same radius. The drip rail steps are slightly different and will need to be slightly altered where they meet the 69 steps in the corners. So far it's the easiest way that we've found to fill in this area.

Here's a pic of how the steps look after being altered.

Charles Addams

dillon14

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 12, 2008, 12:57:26 PM
If you're using the correct factory radius at the front edge of the daytona deck lid, the 3rd gen Charger dutchman panel is almost the exact same radius. The drip rail steps are slightly different and will need to be slightly altered where they meet the 69 steps in the corners. So far it's the easiest way that we've found to fill in this area.

Here's a pic of how the steps look after being altered.

Thank you for the information. However, I am not sure what the 3rd gen Charger dutchman panel is and where it can be purchased.

Thanks

1969 Boss 429

dillon14

1969 Boss 429

BigBlockSam

hi Al

first you have to find a junked 3rd gen charger i used one from a 73 . in the fist picture is the durchman panel that i cut out of the 73 charger . leave yourself enough metal to jion it to the bottom of th vega plug. the more metal the better to work with.

second picture is where the dutchman panel is on the car. it is the metal between the rear window and the trunk of the car. i hope this helps . if you have any more questions just ask . Rene   ;D

BigBlockSam

QuoteIs this what I need? 

that is a 2nd gen dutchman panel. it has the wrong radius you need a 3rd gen charger .. the easiest way to explain it is that one is a smile radius and the other is a frown. nobody repro's them so you have to find a junkyard one. Rene

dillon14

Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 12, 2008, 07:33:33 PM
hi Al

first you have to find a junked 3rd gen charger i used one from a 73 . in the fist picture is the durchman panel that i cut out of the 73 charger . leave yourself enough metal to jion it to the bottom of th vega plug. the more metal the better to work with.

second picture is where the dutchman panel is on the car. it is the metal between the rear window and the trunk of the car. i hope this helps . if you have any more questions just ask . Rene   ;D

Rene,

Thanks a lot for the help. I'll start looking for one. 

Is there exact dimensions for the altered trunk lid?

By the way, did you ship the wing?

Al

1969 Boss 429

suntech

Hi
I have been thinking about doing the same thing, making molds to make trunk lid in carbon fibre/epoxy resin. But to make it right and nice it needs to be with the inner liner aswell, so it looks JUST like the steel one, just made of carbon.  Will be expesive though, with those materials :eek2:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

daytonalo

I was just talking about cap . A steel deck lid is a steel deck lid , fiberglass or carbon would look like a kit car

BigBlockSam

hey
wing should go out mon or tuesday. i like to wait till the check clears. i know it is a bank check but i still wait for it to clear. i learned that from dealing with ebay. i had a problem with a bank check in the past . Rene

dillon14

I don't blame you. Not a problem. 

I just found a 1973 Charger Dutchman panel which I am going to buy. Hopefully, this will work.

Al

1969 Boss 429

hotrod98

Hard to tell , but that looks like the correct piece. I'm assuming that you already have the deck lid closeout panel to alter the deck lid. 
When I get back out in the shop later today I'll take a couple of new pics of an altered deck lid take a few measurements as well.
If you need step by step pics, p.m. me with your e-mail and I'll send them to you. They're already posted on the forum somewhere and I don't want to re-post them. Takes up too much bandwidth.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

hey hotrod , i don't care what they say about ya. your a good egg , :D

Charger1973

Quote from: dillon14 on January 13, 2008, 02:51:33 PM

I just found a 1973 Charger Dutchman panel which I am going to buy. Hopefully, this will work.

Al

Al, I just noticed this post.  I didnt realize thats what you wanted it for.  I will try and get some better pics so you can be sure its what you want.  Also if you want me to trim it a certain way I'll try and do that too.  I'll post the pics here so these guys can give you better input.   :cheers:

dillon14

Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 13, 2008, 03:46:25 PM

Matt,

Thanks a lot. Hopefully, someone here will chime in with how much needs to be trimmed and/or left attached.

Al

1969 Boss 429

hotrod98

Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 13, 2008, 03:46:25 PM

Us cloners have to help each other...every one else thinks we're nuts. :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: Charger1973 on January 13, 2008, 04:03:19 PM
Quote from: dillon14 on January 13, 2008, 02:51:33 PM

Al

Al, I just noticed this post. I didnt realize thats what you wanted it for. I will try and get some better pics so you can be sure its what you want. Also if you want me to trim it a certain way I'll try and do that too. I'll post the pics here so these guys can give you better input. :cheers:

Don't cut it at all if you don't have to. The bigger the panel, the easier it is to trim to fit at the time that it's being installed.

dillon14 
When you cut the deck lid down in length, you need a filler to finish out the reinforcement panel. If you don't care if it looks correct, just make a home made filler from pieces of sheet metal. As long as you're not showing it with the deck lid open, no one will know. You could probably just use a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal bent to a 90 degree angle. 
I don't have any extra steel closeout panels left, but there are fiberglass versions out there. In fact a couple of guys here on the forum have mentioned making them.
As for the correct dimenions...the sides of the deck lid should be 21 1/2 inches long and the center should be 21 3/4. These measurements are taken from the top side. There should be a 1/4" lip at the front edge where it meets the dutchman panel.

The first pic is of the deck lid after it has been shortened and the 1/4" lip bent ready to recieve the closeout panel.
The second pic is after installing the closeout panel.

Take notes. There's going to be a pop quiz on Friday.  ;D

Charles Addams

Charger1973

Ok guys this is what I have.  Just got it out of storage.  The reason I said it needed cut down is because of the package tray and trunk hinges.  If those need to be there thats not a problem but would make it much bulkier and more expensive to ship.  Anyway heres a couple shots, sorry but it was dark by the time it got here. 

dillon14

Matt,

I was of the understanding that I needed to purchased altered deck lid hinges so I will not need yours.

If anyone knows this to be incorrect please let me know.

Al

1969 Boss 429

dillon14

Don't cut it at all if you don't have to. The bigger the panel, the easier it is to trim to fit at the time that it's being installed.

When you cut the deck lid down in length, you need a filler to finish out the reinforcement panel. If you don't care if it looks correct, just make a home made filler from pieces of sheet metal. As long as you're not showing it with the deck lid open, no one will know. You could probably just use a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal bent to a 90 degree angle. 
I don't have any extra steel closeout panels left, but there are fiberglass versions out there. In fact a couple of guys here on the forum have mentioned making them.
As for the correct dimenions...the sides of the deck lid should be 21 1/2 inches long and the center should be 21 3/4. These measurements are taken from the top side. There should be a 1/4" lip at the front edge where it meets the dutchman panel.

The first pic is of the deck lid after it has been shortened and the 1/4" lip bent ready to recieve the closeout panel.
The second pic is after installing the closeout panel.

Take notes. There's going to be a pop quiz on Friday.

Thanks hotrod98 for the technical advice. I'm studying hard for the test.

Al

1969 Boss 429

hotrod98

I was going to mention that you will need different hinges. Daytonalo made my set. Mike Goyette with Dayclona sells them as well.
Here's a pic of Mike's hinges.

Charles Addams

Charger1973

Id like to do the cutting on this over the weekend if possible, just not sure whether to go ahead with it or what.  :scratchchin:

dillon14

Matt,

I would say to try and make it look like the blue one above minus the hinges.

I think that will work.

Al

1969 Boss 429

dillon14

Posted by: hotrod98:

Does anyone out there make these closeout panels that hotrod98 is talking about? If yes, how expensive are they?

Thanks

1969 Boss 429

hotrod98

Contact Mike at ...Dayclona1@yahoo.com...or check out his website at... http://www.officialdayclona.com/
He has a couple of the caps in stock at $75 plus shipping. Use panel bonding adhesive and clamp it in place for 12 hours at 70 degrees or higher. Be sure and add some of the adhesive between the deck lid and reinforcement to prevent vibration. Be sure and post pics.

Charles Addams

dillon14

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 16, 2008, 06:49:07 PM
Contact Mike at ...Dayclona1@yahoo.com...or check out his website at... http://www.officialdayclona.com/
He has a couple of the caps in stock at $75 plus shipping. Use panel bonding adhesive and clamp it in place for 12 hours at 70 degrees or higher. Be sure and add some of the adhesive between the deck lid and reinforcement to prevent vibration. Be sure and post pics.

Thanks,

I'll do this ASAP.

1969 Boss 429

Charger1973

Hows this look?

daytonalo

That is not a trunk cap Cupcake !!!That is a filler panel or Dutchman panel !!

Charger1973

Quote from: daytonalo on January 27, 2008, 07:04:49 PM
That is not a trunk cap Cupcake !!!That is a filler panel or Dutchman panel !!

Thanks Princess!!!  Im glad you're here to tell me these things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigBlockSam