News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Welding Question on MIG Gas Pressure

Started by zerfetzen, January 06, 2008, 10:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerfetzen

I have a Lincoln Electric MIG Pak 10, a small 110V welder, and finally got some gas (75% argon, 25% CO2).  What gas pressure should I be using for welding on the Charger?

I know most people recommend wire that is 0.030", I bought a spool from Lincoln Electric (and now must get tips for it), but for the moment I am using the 0.025" wire that came with it.

There isn't much welding required on this project, mostly body metal (18 gauge, I think) and just a smidgeon on the frame (11 gauge, I think).  Thanks.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

Todd Wilson

I'd read your manual and see what it says. Then adjust your regulator that came with the MIG welder. You may not even need to worry about adjusting. Just hook up the gas and go.  Most is 20cfh (cubic feet per hour) but sometimes your wire may have a specification.

Todd

daytonalo

Stay out of the wind , 5 -8 psi should be fine

Mike DC

Yeah, you don't need to blast the weld with a ton of gas. 

The gas's only purpose is to keep blowing the normal air away from the weld puddle while the metal is hot/liquid.  Once that's adequately done (read: you're not getting any porosity in the welds), then adding more gas pressure after that is not better. 

zerfetzen

Thanks guys.  I tried to look in the manual, but it's not there.  The regulator wasn't part of the standard package, and there was just an additional sheet letting me know it's there as a special, but no instructions on recommended pressure.  My buddy recommended 8 PSI, but just wanted to double-check and be sure.  Thanks again.

daytonalo

GOOD LUCK GRASSHOPPER !!!!!!!!!!!!! PRACTICE , PRACTICE , PRACTICE !!

AutoRust

Quote from: zerfetzen on January 06, 2008, 10:14:37 PM

There isn't much welding required on this project, mostly body metal (18 gauge, I think) and just a smidgeon on the frame (11 gauge, I think).  Thanks.
The body panels are less then 18, closer to 20.
there is no 11 gauge on the underside. Thickest I have seen is 15 gauge about .065

:cheers:
Nothing to see here folks, its just a Bluesmobile

zerfetzen

Quote from: AutoRust on January 07, 2008, 10:33:10 AM
there is no 11 gauge on the underside. Thickest I have seen is 15 gauge about .065

Thanks AutoRust!  Now that's good to know.  No wonder I was easily burning through.  :brickwall:  Thanks, now I can set the amps and speed right!  :2thumbs:

375instroke

30 to 40CFM, and up to 45CFM in windy conditions.  Don't know how PSI helps unless you have the manual to tell you how much CFM per PSI your rig flows.

AutoRust

Quote from: zerfetzen on January 07, 2008, 03:26:23 PM
Quote from: AutoRust on January 07, 2008, 10:33:10 AM

Thanks AutoRust!  Now that's good to know.  No wonder I was easily burning through.  :brickwall:  Thanks, now I can set the amps and speed right!  :2thumbs:

Everyone says practice practice practice. And they are right.
Listen to the welding process. If you hear a lot of sputtering and funky noises, adjust the wire speed. Try to keep the heat as low as possible to start with. Listen for a clean sizzle when you are welding. It should sound like a steak on a grill sizzling away.
What the gas will do is blow away the impurity's in the metal, as well as any dirt or crap where your welding, and allow for a clean weld to be put down.
Dont use more the 20 cfm. The pressure gauge is only telling you whats in your bottle. If the metal is real crappy, turn the cfm up. If its all new clean steel, turn the cfm down.
Do NOT do any long continuous beads on body panels, Frames are usually ok for solid welds. To much heat on body panels is a nightmare for the body guys.
Good Luck with your project. Take your time, go slow, don't get aggravated.
Remember we do this for fun.

Dave

Nothing to see here folks, its just a Bluesmobile

Todd Wilson

And if you are filling in holes with the MIG a nice piece of copper backing the hole helps too. It takes heat away from the panel and the weld wont stick to it. I have used pennys in spots where I had to.

Todd

Mike DC

That's a good tip from Todd.  MUCHO easier to fill holes and bridge small gaps that way.  Just make sure you get a big enough hunk of copper/brass so you can effectively hold it in place with the gloves on and it doesn't get very hot.

hemi-hampton

They also make a special pair of Vise Grips that have a copper backing. LEON. :yesnod: