News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vent Window Disassembly

Started by Shakey, March 25, 2007, 06:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

Can anyone help me with this?

I am trying to disassemble my vent window and frame assembly for restoration and I can't figure out how to get the lower glass channel out.

In the photo you can see the pivot and the stop pin - how do I get that separated so I can slide out the piece that the glass sits in?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Charger-Bodie

shakes just very carfully pull that little pin out of the pivot post and viola its apart
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger_Fan

Although he doesn't really tell how he got that particular piece apart, TX9 Charger wrote up a great tutorial on this matter. HERE :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

69hemi

I also have a step-by-step on my website www.69hemi.com with pics and narrative.  It is in the restoration section under windows.

Its not too hard if you think it through and take your tme.

Good luck!
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Shakey

Thanks fellas!   :yesnod:

I was working that pin a bit late Saturday afternoon and had to take a break.  One beer turned to three and then it was dinner time.  I have learned a long time ago that having a few beers and trying to get something done on the car is a recipe for disaster.   :nono:

I recall TX9's thread and was looking at it last week.  I printed it off this morning prior to heading to the shop to do some other work. 

I will use that along with Jet's info to get this part of the project done properly.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. 

rob9593

as stated already, as simple as unscrewing the upper pivot and removing the pin.....the pin preaks easily, so be careful...otherwise you can do what my friend did with his and just break it, drill it out and use a new one

Shakey

So, I'm back to this aspect of the project again and yes, I did get that pin out so now I have everything disassembled.  Thanks again for that.

As mentioned earlier, I have read TX9 Charger's "How To" on the '70 site but I'm still kinda stuck.

I also read Jet's "How To" on his site but, I'm still kind stuck.  Here is why.

There are six attaching points for the chrome piece to attach to the triangular frame, two towards the top, two in the middle and two near the bottom. 

As noted, not all six of these are used.

The photos might be able to explain it better.

# 9337 is the two points at the top where only one is used
# 9338 is the two points in middle where only one is used
# 9353 is the two points at the bottom where both points have already been used.

How am I going to reattach the chrome piece to the frame at the bottom point?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

8WHEELER

Sorry I can't be much help. I was looking at doing the same thing but on all three of
my Charger's. So I took 4-sets in to a guy here in town, that mostly just does polish
work. Anyway I just did not want to deal with it, so he was going to take the 4 sets
appart and take them apart, re-chrome the chrome and polish the stainless.

Well he said they would all be done in 3wks........... don't you love that line  :brickwall:
8mo later I still don't have anything back, he said taking them apart is not hard, but
getting them back together is the trick, 3wks ago he sent a bunch of the chrome
back to be done right. So as soon as I get them, or he returns my calls, I will try
and get better info to you, since he had to send stuff back, he has not put the
frames totally back together, But like I said, as soon as he calls me back, I will ask
for some information, last we talked, he still had a few things to figure out.

I thought Chris had done his :shruggy:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Shakey

As you had mentioned Dan, taking them apart should not be too bad, it is putting them back together that had me stumped.  This is something I wanted to clear up before I finished taking them apart.  As is the case with my door handles, I've got two pairs of these vent assemblies and I'll pick the worst of the two to send out for re-chroming after i get them apart.

I now realize that metal epoxy can be used to help get things back together.  As mentioned, I'll be able to use two mounting points on the frame and the lower one will be held in place with the metal epoxy.

I'll let you know how things turn out.

Thanks again!   :cheers:

BigBlockSam

hey
thats want i did i used  a weld epoxy. worked out great. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

68pplcharger