News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vent Window Assembly How-to: Time to Reassemble!

Started by bill440rt, January 07, 2008, 09:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Shakey

When I had mine done, the upper pivot had a bit of chrome on it which I had to gently grind down with a file and then clean up with an emery cloth.  I also had to clean the inside of the pivot with a thin rat tail file and some emery cloth.  The same was the case with the pivot for the handle, file and clean it up as well as clean the inside of the handle.

The lower pivot, the one on the bottom of the frame the glass sits in had no chrome on it where it should.  I will have to build that up with a thin piece of aluminium wrapped tightly around the lower pivot to avoid any rattling or vibration.  Sure I will tighten the screw, but I'll need to build it up so I can tighten it properly.

As far as assembling the vent frame itself, I chose to use a screw at the bottom to ensure everything is snug.  Like everyone else, I had six points on my frame where four were peened over at the factory and two were left unused.  I utilized the two unused ones and put a screw down at the bottom.  I clamped everything down, drilled a hole through the frame and into the chrome and tapped it.  I then used a nut between the frame and the chrome to ensure it would stay tight.  It worked out really good.

Big Sugar

Bill ....Great Work ! I'll be at that stage this spring with my 66 Charger,

Can you give us a Detailed installation of the vent window assembly into the door with door glass.
That would be a big help !

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

BigBlockSam

great thread , i did that to my 68 . i wasn't able to re use the bottom vent window gaskits . nobody reproduces them . so i assembled it without them until i can figure something out .   any ideas? thanks Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

six-tee-nine

For those who (like me) bookmark this. I'd be very happy to add this :

http://www.69hemi.com/outsidetrim.html

Maybe some extra pictures and stuff to this subject.
Many thanks Bill we all learn here  :2thumbs:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Dodge Don

Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 23, 2008, 02:30:45 PM
great thread , i did that to my 68 . i wasn't able to re use the bottom vent window gaskits . nobody reproduces them . so i assembled it without them until i can figure something out .   any ideas? thanks Rene

Use glass tape. Works like a charm. Got mine from restoration specialties.

http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=1551&highlight=vent

BigBlockSam

thank you sir. that looks like it will work perfectly . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

MRCHARGER

For anyone searching this topic here is an update. There are 2 places where glass comes into contact with metal. The bottom of the vent glass and the door glass edge to the stainless trim that meets the 1/4 glass. I have yet to find these reproduced but have since learned that it is called "glass setting tape". You can get it a your local glass shop. Fold it over the edge of the glass, put the glass into the channel (with some force), then trim off excess tape with a sharp utility blade.

If you are restoring a 2nd gen Charger you will find that bill440rt has the best how-to theads on this site. He is also very helpful with questions.

bill440rt

Hey, thanks!  :cheers:
I just try to help whenever I can.

Glass setting tape will work well, or butyl tape stretched out. Liquid urethane will also work, but it's more permanent.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bad88t-top

Hey guys,
Unlike Bill440RT, I don't have a pair of lower vent window gaskets to use so I attempted to set the glass in the chrome channel this afternoon using windshield urethane and what a mistake that was.  By the time I was done I had more on the chrome and my hands then where it needed to be.   After 3 hours I got everything cleand up again for round 2.   Tomorrow I'm going to look around for "glass setting tape" as mr Charger mentioned above.   Without the gaskets the fitment of the glass is very loose so I'm going to need something to build up the sides.   I'll keep you posted.  If anyone else has any idea's let me know.    What a pita.

Thanks
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

BigBlockSam

the tape should tighten up the fit . 1/8 inch tape wrapped around the bottom of both sides of glass . should be just about right . :cheers:

:D i still haven't done mine

bill440rt

Hey Bill,
Yeah, that liquid windshield urethane is some ultra-messy stuff. Try using butyl glass setting tape, same stuff that the back glass is put in with. It comes in a roll, 3M is one company that makes it.
It's black & very sticky. You can stretch it out, roll it into shape, etc.
Break off a piece, & roll it into a thin string about 3/16" thick. Go 1/4" if you need to. Stick it to the bottom of the vent glass, let a little go up the bottom edge of the glass on the sides too. Tap it into place on the lower pivot using a rubber mallet. The butyl will ooze up the sides. Once it's bottomed out you can cut whatever excess off with a razor blade.
It's sticky, & once the vent window is assembled the glass won't go anywhere.

Good luck, & post pics!  :2thumbs:

BigBlockSam

QuoteTry using butyl glass setting tape

:cheers: good idea  :scratchchin: that stuff is great  and i happen to have a roll in the shed . thanks bill  :cheers:

rickcharger500qc

Great info in this thread, I bookmark it.

Does someone have pics or instruction on How to disassemble the vent window?

I need to change the rail under the vent glass with the lock handle (my lock handle is missing red circle on the pics).

I need info from removing the door pad to get the vent glass out of the frame. I also want to know what will possibly broke during the process. This is my first project on the car since I bought it last summer.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

DC_1

Quote from: rickcharger500qc on April 27, 2012, 07:44:01 PM
Great info in this thread, I bookmark it.

Does someone have pics or instruction on How to disassemble the vent window?

I need to change the rail under the vent glass with the lock handle (my lock handle is missing red circle on the pics).

I need info from removing the door pad to get the vent glass out of the frame. I also want to know what will possibly broke during the process. This is my first project on the car since I bought it last summer.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Taking it apart is pretty straight forward. Use the search function and there are plenty of threads talking about how to remove the window frame. Shakey did a good thread on assembly http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28517.25.html

bull

This thread is an oldie but a goodie and I want to add one suggestion into the mix regarding glass setting tape. I used heat shrink tubing cut lengthways and it worked quite well. I cut the tubing down its length, slid it onto the bottom of the glass and then heated/shaped it to conform. I then warmed it up again to install it and once in place I trimmed the extra with a box knife. It's a tight fit for sure but it turned out good.

68pplcharger