News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct color for 69 Charger grille using spray cans

Started by 1969chargerrtse, January 11, 2008, 06:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Don't shoot the messanger, I know many people use the Total Auto grille silver.  Problem is , ( my opinion ) it's just to light and reflective compared to the original grille color.  I personally like the color, but I see it in books and shows, and it just stands out to light.  I think what Dodge was doing was going a little on the flat grey side so the anodized trim around the grille stood out better.  I have been trying to get a color as close as I can, by shooting different examples.  I would like to share what I've come up with so far.  Keep in mind as I read in one other thread, it's very possible they used similar colors, because sometimes it seems some are lighter or darker than others, but all seem to be a Grey low gloss/flat shine. 

OK, the cans are shown in the first picture.  R=Rust-O-leum, K=Kilze brand, TA= total Auto, G= Eastwood Detail Grey, C= Eastwood sliver Cad,and I used "O" to point out original paint. The last can I bought on my way home was at Walmart and cost 3.64 I believe.  It is called " Satin Nickel" and In my first hand opinion, the best match so far.  The Total Auto silver is not only to light, but has a reflective shine to it.  The Eastwood Grey is to dark, and also has a metallic shine to it.   The rust-O-leum is not even close, sort of a flat light grey look.  The silver Cad is very close, but has that silver reflective shine like the grille silver.  If you have any ideas, I'll give it a shot.  But for now, my vote is the KILZ casual colors Satin Nickel, at Walmart.   I tried my best to take good pictures, hope this helps.  And for all those Total Auto silver grilles, they look great but If you find the color a little light and was wondering about other ideas, I hope this helps.  The subject line is written in a way that maybe in the future if someone is looking for ideas, this will pop up and offer some ideas.  Rob.   :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Shakey

Here is mine.

Does the colour look like it is correct?   :shruggy: 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Shakey on January 11, 2008, 07:28:26 PM
Here is mine.

Does the colour look like it is correct?   :shruggy: 

Hey, I'm no expert by far.  It's so hard to tell in pictures.  If you grab the Original dodge Charger brochure you can clearly see it's a medium grey color.  I just can't tell on your car, but It looks great (mint and spotless)  keep in mind, general public speaking, who can tell?  This isn't the best picure, but it's obviously not bright silver.  The one below is typical light silver. Then another charger ad from 69.  Nuff said.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

RT/SE

A while ago, I did some test sprays with Eastwood Argent Silver Wheel paint.  I compared the spray out to an original grill and thought it looked pretty good.  I'm not saying it was 100% but it was pretty close compared with the original grill I had.  You might want to give it a try. 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: RT/SE on January 11, 2008, 09:03:31 PM
A while ago, I did some test sprays with Eastwood Argent Silver Wheel paint.  I compared the spray out to an original grill and thought it looked pretty good.  I'm not saying it was 100% but it was pretty close compared with the original grill I had.  You might want to give it a try. 
I think I have that, and I think it is just like the grille silver, but I'll try the two of them side by side on another object tomorrow.

Chatt69chgr

You may find this thread interesting:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,22445.0.html

The pictures of the grill in the thread show the color you are striving for very plainly.  And it's not silver.  As stated, it's more of a grayish color.  In any case, the color in the thread is EXACTLY like my 69.  My car has never been restored (yet) and was kept in the garage most of it's life.  So I know that this color is accurate to at least one 69 charger built late in the model year.  I tried to have some mixed but nobody has that kind of paint anymore (see thread).  All they have here is the newer urethane paints.  I decided to just wait until I get the grill out and take it down and have them image it with their computer and let them mix it at that time.

I understand that you are trying to find a spray can with the right color.  What is "right" may depend on when the car was manufactured.  I wonder if there were changes to this color over time from the factory.  You might get luck and find something that is close enough.  But better yet, maybe somebody that has a grill out that has this "correct" color could take it down and get somebody to match the paint, hopefully, at a paint place that is national in scope.  Then they could post the formula and you could just go down to the local outlet for that brand and buy a can mixed to this color.  They charge $20 here to scan a sample and mix one spray can.  Kind of high but if you don't need much, it's a bargain.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on January 11, 2008, 11:29:23 PM
You may find this thread interesting:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,22445.0.html

The pictures of the grill in the thread show the color you are striving for very plainly.  And it's not silver.  As stated, it's more of a grayish color.  In any case, the color in the thread is EXACTLY like my 69.  My car has never been restored (yet) and was kept in the garage most of it's life.  So I know that this color is accurate to at least one 69 charger built late in the model year.  I tried to have some mixed but nobody has that kind of paint anymore (see thread).  All they have here is the newer urethane paints.  I decided to just wait until I get the grill out and take it down and have them image it with their computer and let them mix it at that time.

I understand that you are trying to find a spray can with the right color.  What is "right" may depend on when the car was manufactured.  I wonder if there were changes to this color over time from the factory.  You might get luck and find something that is close enough.  But better yet, maybe somebody that has a grill out that has this "correct" color could take it down and get somebody to match the paint, hopefully, at a paint place that is national in scope.  Then they could post the formula and you could just go down to the local outlet for that brand and buy a can mixed to this color.  They charge $20 here to scan a sample and mix one spray can.  Kind of high but if you don't need much, it's a bargain.
I've seen that thread and Love the way the grille came out .  Paul (69 our tea) made a lot of trips to the paint store trying to get the paint for me, but they no longer have the flatting agent so the formula is of no use anymore.  My Satan Nickle looks just like it.  I have to shoot a larger area.  69500 told me my grey area is original and it looks it, yet it looks different than Paul's.  So either there are different shades of grey, or 40 years change's color?  Thanks for your input.

resq302

I also agree that I think there was two different shades used.  I purchased a second grille as a spare and the original silver on that seems to be darker than the one on my car now prior to me restoring and repainting the grille.  I also prefer the dark silver as I think it makes the trim stand out better.  Hopefully that Satin Nickel that you found at Wally-mart will hold up.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69_500

I'll see if I can dig up some photo's of the other grilles that I sold in the last couple of weeks/months. But between the 14 grilles, I'd say that there was probably 3 different shades of gray on all of them. I'm going through everything I have right now to see if I have anywhere that shows the actual paint code that was used on the parts. So far no luck, all I've found is the paint codes for tail panels, dash panels, and such, but nothing for the grille as of yet.

gtx6970

Try  Krylon dull aluminum in a spray can

I redid a 1971 Demon grille a few years back and it matched pretty good , IMO

Bill

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on January 12, 2008, 03:12:34 PM
I'll see if I can dig up some photo's of the other grilles that I sold in the last couple of weeks/months. But between the 14 grilles, I'd say that there was probably 3 different shades of gray on all of them. I'm going through everything I have right now to see if I have anywhere that shows the actual paint code that was used on the parts. So far no luck, all I've found is the paint codes for tail panels, dash panels, and such, but nothing for the grille as of yet.
Wow, 3 different shades, well that settles that.  If you can post any of the shades that would be great.

69_500

The only thing is that I don't know if they were the same color to start with or not. Some of the grilles had been out in the sunlight for years, other had been in storage for years. 1 had always been in a crate. I don't know if I saved the photo's on the computer or just uploaded them and then trashed them. Wasn't something I was really concerened about, was more or less just wanting to clean out attic space and sell them.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: gtx6970 on January 12, 2008, 03:16:25 PM
Try  Krylon dull aluminum in a spray can

I redid a 1971 Demon grille a few years back and it matched pretty good , IMO

Bill
Thanks bill, I had heard about using a aluminum type color, but couldn't find it on any of the past threads.  Thanks, I'll try that.   :2thumbs:

daytonakid

Krylon 1403 dull aluminum works real good. Covers very fast and durable. Bill
Owner East Portland Auto Body www.eastportlandautobody.com

JimShine

Here is a prime example of how much weathering plays into the look of the grille paint. Here is a late 1968 headlight door that sat in a garage for 20 years before I got ahold of it. Keep in mind the argent originally went down the fins on this thing.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: JimShine on January 13, 2008, 12:00:29 AM
Here is a prime example of how much weathering plays into the look of the grille paint. Here is a late 1968 headlight door that sat in a garage for 20 years before I got ahold of it. Keep in mind the argent originally went down the fins on this thing.

True, but many of the grilles we are comparing do not have that wear?  Plus you can see in the original pictures it's a flat dull grey,not silver.  Can be seen clearly in the original pictures posted, the green car picture, in the corner of the nose shows the color best.  Having a 69 I never really thought about 68, I would think 68 was more silver color from what was used in 69.

JimShine

Here is the last stock grille I messed with. A real 1969, this one saw very little exposure to the elements. When I dismantled it to clean down and repaint the frame, the areas of silver protected from exposure were still lighter than the exposed areas. The wear from wind, and/or deterioration still managed to thin the paint on this grille, making it look darker.

The 68 was silver. The picture sucked because it was taken inside. It was not gray. Which opens up a whole other can of worms. Trying to match paint off pictures when picture color reproduction is unreliable and usually in the case of atleast 2 of the pictures you show above, the colors are manipulated for color balance and effect, not for accuracy.

BronzeOnSteelies

I have can in front of me that a friend had mixed. He did his 69 with it and also my 68. It looks more grey than silver.

The label only says "SEM Color Argent, Must be topcoated with1301 5-9-5. The store that mixed it is now out of business.

It looks good to me do I am happy with it and Ok if it is not a NOS match.  I have seen Argent as the response to similiar thread questions on this
board.

:Twocents:

I
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T

Larry Cramer

This is my first shot at using the forum, so bear with me.

I read the grill paint comments with interest and will try the LILZ Satin Nickel available from Walmart. My question is what black paint should/could be used for the grill? I did not see this addressed in the comentary. I'm restoring a 68 Charger which I bought in the first half of Sept 67. I bought it two weeks before they were introduced in the show rooms.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Larry Cramer on January 17, 2008, 11:33:29 AM

I read the grill paint comments with interest and will try the LILZ Satin Nickel available from Walmart. My question is what black paint should/could be used for the grill? I did not see this addressed in the comentary. I'm restoring a 68 Charger which I bought in the first half of Sept 67. I bought it two weeks before they were introduced in the show rooms.

Satin black works really well on the grille.

Got any pics you can share with us of you're Charger?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

resq302

I have used Krylon 1613 semi flat black paint with good results.  I was also told that the SEM Trim Black is a dead on also.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Shakey

Quote from: resq302 on January 17, 2008, 11:37:33 AM
I have used Krylon 1613 semi flat black paint with good results.  I was also told that the SEM Trim Black is a dead on also.

QuoteSEM Trim Black

That's what I used on mine.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Larry Cramer on January 17, 2008, 11:33:29 AM

I read the grill paint comments with interest and will try the KILZ Satin Nickel available from Walmart. My question is what black paint should/could be used for the grill? I did not see this addressed in the commentary. I'm restoring a 68 Charger which I bought in the first half of Sept 67. I bought it two weeks before they were introduced in the show rooms.
I've heard Eastwoods SEM trim black is the way to go.    Don't be spraying the Satan Nickle until you test it first.  I only shot a small space.  I'm gonna try the "Krylon dull aluminum" first as I've heard before it was  a close call.

Larry Cramer

Thanks for the grill paint suggestions. I have attached a pic of my Charger which someone asked for. The pic is what I started with 18 monhts ago. As of early this week all body repair has been done, the shell has been primered and we may be applying exterior paints this weekend.

And here is another question: I am intending on painting the inside of the trunk area the same color as the body. Is this correct?

Shakey

Quote from: Larry Cramer on January 18, 2008, 01:40:36 PM
Thanks for the grill paint suggestions. I have attached a pic of my Charger which someone asked for. The pic is what I started with 18 monhts ago. As of early this week all body repair has been done, the shell has been primered and we may be applying exterior paints this weekend.

And here is another question: I am intending on painting the inside of the trunk area the same color as the body. Is this correct?

Yes!