News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct color for 69 Charger grille using spray cans

Started by 1969chargerrtse, January 11, 2008, 06:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

Thanks for the research and pictures.  But I 've been wondering about this ....(you did say your wife was cool about the Charger) - -  but how does she feel about having Charger parts around her kitchen and living room?  :icon_smile_wink: 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 04, 2008, 09:39:57 PM
Thanks for the research and pictures.  But I 've been wondering about this ....(you did say your wife was cool about the Charger) - -  but how does she feel about having Charger parts around her kitchen and living room?  :icon_smile_wink: 
Well, the grille is now out in the garage on top of the roof of the Charger. She knows how hard I've been working on it (and been stressed), and how important it is to me so she's been patient.  I just put them on the floor to take a picture.  Though they were on top of her shelves and she did ask me today why things were moved over to the side?  I said that was where the grille pieces were but I'm all done, you can move everthing back, Thanks.  :angel:  What she doesn't like is all the money I've put into it.  :rotz:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Shakey

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 04, 2008, 05:51:55 PM
Well here are some pictures of the grille.  I feel the satan Nickle is as close as I need to get.  Notice the original bucket in the rear.  I still have to strip and paint the doors and adjust the C end trim.

I dunno - looks a bit off to me.  Looks good but.......   :shruggy:

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

FLG

I think it looks great, you will never be able to compare the 2 side by side once its on so even if it was more off it would be very hard to tell.

joesykora

:cheers: i think it looks awesome. With this thread I have dicided to follow the Kilz path with mine and will be starting pretty soon........Thanks :icon_smile_cool:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 04, 2008, 05:48:56 PM
I would call around first.  The barcode for the Kilz Satan Nickel is  0   51652  62747   3   And the SEM trim Black can be bought at any paint shop or all over on the net It's # 39143 

Rob, the detail grey is definitely too dark....the nickel color is lighter in the right direction.  I used the grill silver on mine.  I think it look fine the way it is now.

PS----if you are a Christian can you still use the Kilz paint? :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TUFCAT

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 05, 2008, 03:13:13 PM

Just like anything.......as long as you bless it before hand,  its okay  :angel:

Shakey

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 05, 2008, 04:17:48 PM

Just like anything.......as long as you bless it before hand,  its okay  :angel:

Isn't that the Jews?   :shruggy:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 04, 2008, 05:48:56 PM
I would call around first.  The barcode for the Kilz Satan Nickel is  0   51652  62747   3   And the SEM trim Black can be bought at any paint shop or all over on the net It's # 39143 

Rob, the detail grey is definitely too dark....the nickel color is lighter in the right direction.  I used the grill silver on mine.  I think it look fine the way it is now.

Let's not drag religion into this, wi'll be 10 pages long.

O.k, well my thought about grille "silver" for the grey colored grille has been expressed before.  I think it looks just like all the grey colored pictures and the bucket I have.  I think one thing may be that all the pictures are in my house with a flash and fluorescent lighting.  If you saw it outside (and you will ) you would be very impressed.  Not to light or dark.  For those that like the color and find it almost exact.   Me too! :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 05, 2008, 07:14:41 PM

Oops....my mistake.  LET'S CARRY ON like he said!  :P

Shakey

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 05, 2008, 08:04:52 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 05, 2008, 07:14:41 PM

Oops....my mistake.  LET'S CARRY ON like he said!  :P

Yeah, this thread is running so smoothly and each post is packed with usefull information.   :eek2:

yeahitsgotahemi!

Well, after reading this thread, I started to restore my grill. I actually sandblasted the pieces. Someone had done a really poor repaint with black. With a H.F. sandblaster and 40 psi, I was able to get off the the remaining paint that didn't peel off in the dish washer and derust the metal brackets. The silver paint underneath it was perserved, and after buying the kilz paint and comparing, the original grill is much lighter. They definately had several different paints it seems. I'm gonna go with the kilz, as I like the darker color. Great thread, thanks for the motivation. I'll try and post some pics.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on February 06, 2008, 11:06:34 PM
Well, after reading this thread, I started to restore my grill. I actually sandblasted the pieces. Someone had done a really poor repaint with black. With a H.F. sandblaster and 40 psi, I was able to get off the the remaining paint that didn't peel off in the dish washer and derust the metal brackets. The silver paint underneath it was perserved, and after buying the kilz paint and comparing, the original grill is much lighter. They definitely had several different paints it seems. I'm gonna go with the kilz, as I like the darker color. Great thread, thanks for the motivation. I'll try and post some pics.
Thanks for the compliment.  I really think it is very close, I have no regrets.  I threw it in fast tonight, I'll update later.
Picture below is when it was  :sick:       blacked out, and the radiator support was still orange.

69bronzeT5

Went to 2 other stores today and they dont have the KILZ...or the SEM Trim Black..or the Krylon Semi Gloss Black (all they had was pure gloss black). So no luck yet. ALTHOUGH, I am going to Vancouver in about a week so I'll check there (WAY bigger Walmart)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TUFCAT

WOW! :o  I think that grille color looks great.  Looks like you've "cracked the code" on this one!  Lot of guys should buy you a beer :cheers: - - or a hot dog! :boogie: heee hee hee   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 06, 2008, 11:52:32 PM
Went to 2 other stores today and they dont have the KILZ...or the SEM Trim Black..or the Krylon Semi Gloss Black (all they had was pure gloss black). So no luck yet. ALTHOUGH, I am going to Vancouver in about a week so I'll check there (WAY bigger Walmart)
Cody I don't think you will find the SEM trim black at a store.   You need to go on the net or paint shop.  Save time and gas by calling around.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 06, 2008, 11:53:18 PM
WOW! :o  I think that grille color looks great.  Looks like you've "cracked the code" on this one!  Lot of guys should buy you a beer :cheers: - - or a hot dog! :boogie: heee hee hee   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: 
Thanks so much, that's how I feel but I keep getting "it's a little darker"  If you compare to page 1, way way back  :icon_smile_wink: you will see it's actually ligter than some of the grilles in the pictures.  Plus were trying to compare to 40 year old paint.  I would say color wise it's right on.  But it could use a hair more of the flat look, a little less shine, but that's probably the just painted look. :shruggy:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 07, 2008, 06:14:49 AM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 06, 2008, 11:52:32 PM
Cody I don't think you will find the SEM trim black at a store.   You need to go on the net or paint shop.  Save time and gas by calling around.

Dont worry about the gas thing...I go at lunch time so I walk everywhere :icon_smile_big:

69chargeryeehaa

that looks awesome  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: awesome job, what paint did you end up using? got a pic of the paint can? where you get it?

:cheers:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on February 07, 2008, 03:28:57 PM
that looks awesome  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: awesome job, what paint did you end up using? got a pic of the paint can? where you get it?

Gee, thanks.  I'm looking forward to the time I can get it outside and take a natural light picture.

The barcode for the Kilz Satin Nickel ( Walmart ) is  0   51652  62747   3   And the SEM trim Black can be bought at any paint shop or all over on the net It's # 39143 

Go to the first page and there is a picture of it along with others I tried.

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 07, 2008, 05:09:50 PM
Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on February 07, 2008, 03:28:57 PM

Gee, thanks.  I'm looking forward to the time I can get it outside and take a natural light picture.

The barcode for the Kilz Satan Nickel ( Walmart ) is  0   51652  62747   3   And the SEM trim Black can be bought at any paint shop or all over on the net It's # 39143 

Go to the first page and there is a picture of it along with others I tried.

not available in Canada  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :eek2:  i give up, i think i'll just paint it all black... :RantExplode: :rotz:

69bronzeT5

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 07, 2008, 05:09:50 PM

The barcode for the Kilz Satan Nickel

Boy that nickel is really devilish looking :scratchchin:  ;)

PS----I HOPE that last pic is of the old grill installed....if not your going to hate what I have to say next.... :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69chargeryeehaa