News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct color for 69 Charger grille using spray cans

Started by 1969chargerrtse, January 11, 2008, 06:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 07, 2008, 06:29:59 PM
Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on February 07, 2008, 06:22:44 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 07, 2008, 05:57:42 PM
Whats not available in Canada?

Kilz Satan Nickel  :brickwall: :brickwall:
Another worshiper :rotz:
:naughty:

PS---I'm sorry for taking this O/T but its too funny!  :2thumbs:
Boy you really enjoyed that didn't you?   :slap:   Thanks for the tip I spelled Satin as Satan.  I went back and changed the word all 200 times I typed it wrong.  :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 07, 2008, 06:50:54 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 07, 2008, 06:29:59 PM

Another worshiper :rotz:
:naughty:

PS---I'm sorry for taking this O/T but its too funny!  :2thumbs:
Boy you really enjoyed that didn't you?   :slap:   Thanks for the tip I spelled Satin as Satan.  I went back and changed the word all 200 times I typed it wrong.  :icon_smile_big:

haha, i copied and pasted it from your post 69chargerrtse!!!!! :brickwall: :D

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

71ChallengeHer

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 07, 2008, 08:33:05 PM

Are you frickin' kidding me?!?!?!?! GOD DAMNIT! :RantExplode:

i called them, it's distributed exclusively (the expressions line) by walmart in the US ONLY.  That's great, someone finally finds a good match, and now i can't get it.  Frick it, black it is..... :brickwall: :RantExplode: :shruggy: :eek2:

69bronzeT5

69chargeryeehaa

69bronzeT5

69chargeryeehaa

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on February 07, 2008, 09:02:39 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 07, 2008, 09:01:04 PM
Satin :icon_smile_big:

sorry i'm all out of that....hey rob, mark me down for some too.  :yesnod: :angel:
Pay for shipping and I'll send it out.  Remember, it's a tuff one to spray.  I was getting these darker dots here and there.  Finally I passed by light and fast and it seemed to be the best way.  Cans are about 4 bucks each.  I would get 2 cans , plus shipping.  if you want me to, PM me and will talk (write ).
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

So whats the closest thing next to the KILZ? What would be the second best bet?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 07, 2008, 09:43:12 PM
I heard several times Krylon dull aluminum was close.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on February 07, 2008, 08:56:58 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 07, 2008, 08:33:05 PM

Are you frickin' kidding me?!?!?!?! GOD DAMNIT! :RantExplode:

i called them, it's distributed exclusively (the expressions line) by walmart in the US ONLY.  That's great, someone finally finds a good match, and now i can't get it.  Frick it, black it is..... :brickwall: :RantExplode: :shruggy: :eek2:
You will regret it.  Look how nice it looks in your little picture.  You saw my picture of it in black.  It just looks like a cheap way out of taking the time to do it correctly.  For about 15.00 or so you can have it delivered to your door.   For a grille worth about 2,000.00 plus restored, it's a cheap investment. :yesnod:   I'll do anything to stop that destruction.  :icon_smile_wink:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 07, 2008, 10:04:06 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 07, 2008, 09:43:12 PM
I heard several times Krylon dull aluminum was close.

Ill try to find that stuff. :cheers:

69chargeryeehaa

You will regret it.  Look how nice it looks in your little picture.  You saw my picture of it in black.  It just looks like a cheap way out of taking the time to do it correctly.  For about 15.00 or so you can have it delivered to your door.   For a grille worth about 2,000.00 plus restored, it's a cheap investment. :yesnod:   I'll do anything to stop that destruction.  :icon_smile_wink:

haha, i really appreciate it but i doubt you'll even be able to mail the paint, since the guy told me on the phone it contains elements that Canada will not accept, that is why it's not sold in Canada. 

I did buy some silver, made by rustoleum, it's called "silver metallic" linky:  http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=592&SBL=5

It is metallic, but very little, and it dries semi gloss.  I tried a small test spray, and it does look very close to the only surviving part on my grill that's silver, and thats on the top of the headlight door pin stripe part, which is not much to compare too.  But looking on the first page of this thread, the orange car with the "lighter" grill is exactly what this paint looks like.....thoughts?  :scratchchin: :shruggy: pic attached.

69chargeryeehaa

well i think i'm at the point it will either be this silver or black.  I just can't find the paint, and i'm not crazy about using auto paint that's tinted due to the fact that it probably won't work well on the plastic grille, and it will easily chip off, not to mention the fact that i don't want to experiment with a new paint on a grille where a mistake can create hours of work to fix.  I know this paint, it's really easy to apply, and it's tough. 

Funny that you mention the shades, 2 days ago i was at a friends house, who i sold my old charger too, and he also has another 69.  I looked at the grilles on both, which still were sporting their original factory paint.  Both cars are much lighter than the pics of your grille, almost a true silver.  that's what made me buy this paint.  I've been to all the hardware stores and checked out all the silvers out there, this is the only one i could find, and the test spray matches my grille surviving part like i said on the top of the headlight door where the sun didn't fade it.  Now is it possible that some 69 chargers had a lighter silver than a darker one??  maybe there is no "correct" color to aim for?  ON the first  page of this thread, the green car is exactly the color of the paint i have.  If it's so sinfull to paint it black, what are your thoughts on the lighter silver? 

69chargeryeehaa

Here is the best pic i could find of my old charger, the grill was original and faded on the bottom, but it gives you an idea of the color on my 69 and what i'm talking about.

69chargeryeehaa

2 more pics i found, you can see it's more of a lighter silver, but faded on the bottom.  More i think about it the lighter silver wouldn't look bad at all.  And that grille is 100% original.

Troy

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 07, 2008, 05:58:41 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 07, 2008, 05:09:50 PM
Gee, thanks.  I'm looking forward to the time I can get it outside and take a natural light picture.

The barcode for the Kilz Satan Nickel

Boy that nickel is really devilish looking :scratchchin:  ;)

PS----I HOPE that last pic is of the old grill installed....if not your going to hate what I have to say next.... :rotz:

Pssst:
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 06, 2008, 11:12:41 PM
Thanks for the compliment.  I really think it is very close, I have no regrets.  I threw it in fast tonight, I'll update later.
Picture below is when it was  :sick:       blacked out, and the radiator support was still orange.

;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69chargeryeehaa

QuoteI still see that as a light grey, not silver but whatever.  I expressed my thoughts on the silver you wish to use below your pictures in the other thread.  It would be much better than black, plus do exactly what you want to do, even if it's black.  Just love the car and enjoy the hobby.   :2thumbs:

Seeing the car in person, and i actually brought the cap of the can of spray paint, it's very similar, not grey, but more silver.  Maybe the pic doesn't give the right perspective, but it is for sure not a darker nickel color, at least on those 2 grills i saw with original paint.  The reason it looks grey in the pic, is because the part you see is faded, but when i looked up where the sun really didn't take it's toll on the paint, it was more of a silver/grey. 

One thing that really gets to me is i forgot to look exactly where the silver is applied, as in where to tape off the silver from the black.  I know the headlight door pin stripe, but on the grill where exactly is it taped off?  also you have any advice on the order of painting?  I was thinking doing the whole grille black first, then doing the silver...... :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Shakey

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on February 08, 2008, 11:12:38 AM
2 more pics i found, you can see it's more of a lighter silver, but faded on the bottom.  More i think about it the lighter silver wouldn't look bad at all.  And that grille is 100% original.

Are you 100% sure that grille is 100% original?  I say that because some of those dings and dents in the trim look as though they would have cause some damage to the grille.   :scratchchin:

Also, with regards to the colour and using this grille as a reference, don't you think the colours would have faded after 40 years?   :shruggy:

You guys can beat this to death until the cows come home and in the end, and this coming from a guy that is all for doing things the right way, I don't think anyone will care or notice if the shade of grey in your grille is off by 1 degree.

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: Shakey on February 08, 2008, 03:26:50 PM
Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on February 08, 2008, 11:12:38 AM

Are you 100% sure that grille is 100% original?  I say that because some of those dings and dents in the trim look as though they would have cause some damage to the grille.   :scratchchin:

Also, with regards to the colour and using this grille as a reference, don't you think the colours would have faded after 40 years?   :shruggy:

You guys can beat this to death until the cows come home and in the end, and this coming from a guy that is all for doing things the right way, I don't think anyone will care or notice if the shade of grey in your grille is off by 1 degree.

Yes i am 1000% sure it's original, it's never been apart, when i painted the car i took apart the grille and all the bolt broke off, as they have never been removed, everything was original.  And i did mention in my last post that the grill is faded, but on the top, where the sun didn't fade the grille, you could see the original color.   besides the 2 69 chargers i saw a few days ago (one being my old charger) both had the exact same color grilles.  The trim on the grille could almost be dented with your finger nails, and there was no damage to the grill on my old car. 

I totally agree that the shade isn't important, as long as it's done nice, that's why i was going with the silver that actually looks exactly as your car in the sig pic.  i just want to get it done so i can drive the car. 

My last question was about where the silver is taped off from? as i forgot to look, and have no reference to go by.   :slap:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Troy on February 08, 2008, 11:29:37 AM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 07, 2008, 05:58:41 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 07, 2008, 05:09:50 PM
Gee, thanks.  I'm looking forward to the time I can get it outside and take a natural light picture.

The barcode for the Kilz Satan Nickel

Boy that nickel is really devilish looking :scratchchin:  ;)

PS----I HOPE that last pic is of the old grill installed....if not your going to hate what I have to say next.... :rotz:

Pssst:
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 06, 2008, 11:12:41 PM
Thanks for the compliment.  I really think it is very close, I have no regrets.  I threw it in fast tonight, I'll update later.
Picture below is when it was  :sick:       blacked out, and the radiator support was still orange.

;)

Troy

Troy, did you think you were talking to Cody? :slap:
It was an inside joke....
:rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

O.K now , if we can get back to the worlds longest thread about spray cans here we go.  I finished the head lamp doors.  There was very tiny pitting from using the glass beads.  I'm not sure if I would do it the same way again, but they came out very nice.  I had to really lay down layer after layer of paint to fill in all the pit marks (could use more layers ).  I'm sure doors not shot with sand blasting or glass beads would be smoother, I just couldn't get the paint off that was on there.  Bottom line, good enough.  As for painting.  I shot them with flat black plastic paint (as a primer), best paint was the small cans at a hobby shop, lacquer not enamel.  Then I masked off the black part (fins) of the grille and shot the Satin nickle.  I made sure that dried well and then I put tape over the Nickle trim line with blue flexible ( pinstrip tape?) tape, and laid down my black SEM trim paint, peeled off the tape and TADA! ;D

P.S  The SEM trim paint is Lacquer, so you don't want to use an enamel primer as the trim paint will wrinkle. ( Courtesy tip 104 from my friend Brian  1hot68 )