News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct color for 69 Charger grille using spray cans

Started by 1969chargerrtse, January 11, 2008, 06:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on February 08, 2008, 10:31:23 AM
\haha, i really appreciate it but i doubt you'll even be able to mail the paint, since the guy told me on the phone it contains elements that Canada will not accept, that is why it's not sold in Canada. 

Yea, I doubt you'll be able to mail it. My friend tried ordering a bullet belt from the US. The belt had fake bullets but because it looked like real bullets, they wouldnt ship it. :Twocents:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Well, here's a picture of the grille now back in the car.  If I could do it all over again I would of paid closer attention to some detail areas.  One thing would of been to spray the entire buckets black.  I didn't realize you can see those areas after the grille is back in the car.  Color wise, I'm very pleased.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

O.K so I took (rolled ) the car outside for a little sun.  I grabbed the original bucket and held it to the grille , and no regrets It looks great ! :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

yeahitsgotahemi!

Here's mine. Pretty much all done. Just need to buy a new charger emblem since the original is missing. Could probably spend more time polishinh up the trim too. Thanks everybody!
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

1969chargerrtse

Great job!  Another beautiful original grille to hit the road soon!   :2thumbs:

Death1970Proof

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on February 08, 2008, 11:07:38 AM
Here is the best pic i could find of my old charger, the grill was original and faded on the bottom, but it gives you an idea of the color on my 69 and what i'm talking about.

That is a great looking car. I loved the shaved marker lights. Not nitpicking at all here but was the lower portion of the passenger fender damaged or rusted? I ask this because Im having a similar problem with the same fender and am wondering on how to fix it. It doesnt have to be perfect cause it'll never a be a showcar. Im all about building fun drivers, rock on!!
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

69chargeryeehaa

That is a great looking car. I loved the shaved marker lights. Not nitpicking at all here but was the lower portion of the passenger fender damaged or rusted? I ask this because Im having a similar problem with the same fender and am wondering on how to fix it. It doesnt have to be perfect cause it'll never a be a showcar. Im all about building fun drivers, rock on!!

those fenders were fiberglass.. :cheers: :2thumbs:

Death1970Proof

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on February 19, 2008, 11:11:36 AM

those fenders were fiberglass.. :cheers: :2thumbs:

Oh okay. I didnt know anybody made '68/9 charger fenders in fiberglass????
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

superduperbee

I used Steel Wheel paint that you can get at auto part stores Wal-Mart etc. I test sprayed a couple cans and found a perfect color match. Ray

six-tee-nine

Well I managed to get my grill painted.

As the discussion earlyer in this topic to go all black or two tone stock looking I changed my mind in the very last minute and I must say I'm really happy with the result.
Ok, the doors still need to come in and the trim still needs polishing but so far it's a start and I'm extra glad with it cuz it's the very first part of the Charger brought back to a new life...

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

tommymac

I bought the last 3 cans Walmart had ,They are discountunion the Kilz line, But I used it and the color is almost right on, I even did my turn signals.Same grey-silver color. Im leaving these trims all brushed nickel

1969chargerrtse

resq302

Hmmm.....  :scratchchin:   might be time to go out and stock up on it then.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

JimShine

For you guys that want to try the Kilz paint, you better do it now. The two local Wal Marts in my area are blowing the stuff out at $2 a can then it will be gone forever. It will probably end up being blown out at all their stores over the next few weeks.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Shakey on January 11, 2008, 07:28:26 PM
Here is mine.

Does the colour look like it is correct?   :shruggy: 

Shakey, what paint is that? I cant find the Totally Auto or the Eastwood stuff anywhere. I know you are in Canada too...
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Shakey

Eastwood products I get from their dealer in ON.  I used the Argent Wheel paint.

The SEM Trim Black I purchased from my local Car Quest.