News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct color for 69 Charger grille using spray cans

Started by 1969chargerrtse, January 11, 2008, 06:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargeryeehaa

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on January 21, 2008, 03:24:09 PM
updates?????? :shruggy:

:paintingpink:  :popcrn:
I have not forgotten, I have been sanding my grilles in free time. I'm gonna be looking for the dull Krylon paint and will post pictures when I'm done.  This will take some time as I have many other things going on with detailing the engine compartment etc.... I'll get back, I promise.  Be cool.  :coolgleamA:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69chargeryeehaa

ok....guess i'll have to wait, or just try myself since i'm playing the grill game too.   :brickwall: :RantExplode: :eek2: :cheers:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on January 21, 2008, 06:48:12 PM
ok....guess i'll have to wait, or just try myself since i'm playing the grill game too.   :brickwall: :RantExplode: :eek2: :cheers:
Not that long.  Sure, bring something to the table here?  Spray away.  I'm just trying not to go the light silver grille look.  Just test spray, and past the info along.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69chargeryeehaa

my grille is currently all black (69 charger r/t) done by the PO.  Actually to be honest i like it, but all my buddies are giving me a bad rap about painting it black again, so i was looking into the silver, but i don't feel like experimenting with paint's i'm not familiar with and trying to match a silver which i only have a thin stripe of on the headlight door which is really faded and almost not there.  I don't have an original silver part to go by so i'd just be guessing.  I guess it will be all black then!!!! :smilielol: :D :shruggy: :cheers:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on January 21, 2008, 07:02:03 PM
my grille is currently all black (69 charger r/t) done by the PO.  Actually to be honest i like it, but all my buddies are giving me a bad rap about painting it black again, so i was looking into the silver, but i don't feel like experimenting with paint's I'm not familiar with and trying to match a silver which i only have a thin stripe of on the headlight door which is really faded and almost not there.  I don't have an original silver part to go by so I'd just be guessing.  I guess it will be all black then!!!! :smilielol: :D :shruggy: :cheers:
No no, please don't do the Darth Vader look.  I was sanding it today and will be working on it tomorrow.  Hang in there I'll be doing it soon.  You can see in my other posted pictures where Grille silver was used, and then some Dodge promo pictures where it's a dull grey color.

69chargeryeehaa

that's exactly how my car looks, 69 charger r/t, v2 orange, but i got a vinyl top.  awesome looking car you got there....hey wait a minute, i got one just like it.  :nana: :D :cheers:

Mopar2Ya

There are some auto paint stores that can mix single stage & put it in aerosol cans for you, allowing you to choose the color mix.  :Twocents:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on January 22, 2008, 07:35:26 PM
There are some auto paint stores that can mix single stage & put it in aerosol cans for you, allowing you to choose the color mix.  :Twocents:
Well, were trying to get the correct color, or what we think is closest to correct.

69chargeryeehaa

QuoteNo no, please don't do the Darth Vader look.  I was sanding it today and will be working on it tomorrow.  Hang in there I'll be doing it soon.  You can see in my other posted pictures where Grille silver was used, and then some Dodge promo pictures where it's a dull grey color.

actually at first i really didn't like the darth vader look, but the more i looked at it i actually like it.  The more and more people tell me not to do it makes me want to do it!!!!!!!     :nana:  :D
but a buddy convinced me to go with the stock silver, but the way i see it, getting the color/shine is going to be hard to do it right, and i'm sick of having my car apart while i could be  :vert:  :brickwall: :scratchchin: :eek2:

Mike DC

Step back for a moment & look at the overall design of the grille -- 

It looks to me like the Charger's designers probably envisioned all the grille's silver areas in chrome.  As if the grey/silver paint was really just a concession to the fact that they had begun molding the grilles in plastic.  The anodized edges are bright in just the right spots to make the grille look more like it's all chromed, and the silver paint is mixed just right to draw attention away from the fact that it's not chromed away from the front edges.

Here's my idealized Charger grille --  Have a grille that's actually chromed (in the silver areas), and then the chrome was sprayed with a mildly dark clear tinting layer to make it one notch darker than the chrome on the bumper & anodized trim.

69chargeryeehaa

i agree mike, but if you look at an all black grill theres just something about it, especially when you stand back and look at it, it just screams MEAN  :coolgleamA:  I really like the black out look of the whole grille, the allum trim is still there, but something looks really good about it....i don't know what it is but with the whole thing black, at night, it looks like it's not even there.  I'm torn on the fence about which way to go, i'm 50/50 right now, but the fact that i can't find a good silver makes me lean more towards the black..... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :shruggy: :D

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on January 23, 2008, 10:26:39 AM
i agree mike, but if you look at an all black grill theres just something about it, especially when you stand back and look at it, it just screams MEAN  :coolgleamA:  I really like the black out look of the whole grille, the allum trim is still there, but something looks really good about it....i don't know what it is but with the whole thing black, at night, it looks like it's not even there.  I'm torn on the fence about which way to go, i'm 50/50 right now, but the fact that i can't find a good silver makes me lean more towards the black..... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :shruggy: :D

When youre not too far away it looks mean , but if youre meeting it on the road it looks like the grille is missing. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

six-tee-nine

You guys make me hesitate   :shruggy: :shruggy:
I always took this one as an example cuz i like it big time and since my 69 will be black too I always tought it would be great.

And my grill pieces are prepped with base coat right now so I need to decide soon......
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Charger-Bodie

:icon_smile_blackeye: I just ont see why its a thrill to make a Charge look like its grille is missing?  :brickwall: Ma Mopar made them look so cool with the silver paint! most of the time when i see them all black, I think to myself huh that guy took the easy way out!  ::)  To each his own though :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Mike DC

I think an all-black plastic grille would look a lot better if the factory anodized trim around the edges was a bit wider.  And particulary the center "I" piece's vertical bar. 

six-tee-nine

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 23, 2008, 02:59:47 PM
most of the time when i see them all black, I think to myself huh that guy took the easy way out! 

Don't tempt me. I'll paint it silver just to prove you that thats not what I do.... :icon_smile_big:
But i never looked at it that way (the grill being missing from a distance) so maybe you are right in the end.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

1969chargerrtse

I LOVE things the way they were done out of the factory.  If the grilles were all black then I'd go black.  They did a fantastic job on the entire car.  The grille came painted dull grey so the trim stood out, then thats the way it shall be.  So be it. :patriot:

1969chargerrtse

You will see on this link a great glue kit for a broken grille.  I used this stuff today and it did a perfect job of fixing my split and broken pieces.  Great product to repair your grille.  I tried other products and they just didn't work.   I repaired the grille today and next week i will start the priming and painting.  ( I hope ).   This link is from my,  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37655.0.html   thread.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=blended&field-keywords=plastifix&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_blended_14142907_2&results-process=default

daytonalo

Just a tip , back in the day everything was Lacquer , not enamel , enamel does not even come close to the correct look . Go to Pep-boys or whoever and find Dupli-color in spray can , find the silver met you , most likely find code from older Chevy truck and it will be Lacquer . I have been using this stuff for years , it just looks and feels right to the touch

Larry

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: daytonalo on January 25, 2008, 09:48:38 PM
Just a tip , back in the day everything was Lacquer , not enamel , enamel does not even come close to the correct look . Go to Pep-boys or whoever and find Dupli-color in spray can , find the silver met you , most likely find code from older Chevy truck and it will be Lacquer . I have been using this stuff for years , it just looks and feels right to the touch

Larry
Cool, great idea.  I thought Mopar or ford did enamel back in the day?

daytonalo

69_500

I'm not a paint expert by any means, but I don't think that they painted the cars from the factory with lacquer paint jobs. I'll do some searching in the books.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 69_500 on January 26, 2008, 09:07:45 AM
I'm not a paint expert by any means, but I don't think that they painted the cars from the factory with lacquer paint jobs. I'll do some searching in the books.

I cant say 100% sure on the trim and detail stuff like that but, the exterior paint was enamal on Crysler products quite a while before Chargers came about!!