News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct color for 69 Charger grille using spray cans

Started by 1969chargerrtse, January 11, 2008, 06:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I remember as a kid that , I know for 100% sure Gm cars were lacquer as I bought a 69 Camaro pace car that had brand new Imron paint on it and I had the whole car sandblasted and done in Lacquer as I knew they were from the factory.  I remember thinking that ford or Mopar, I thought Mopar cars were enamel.  Good point on what was used by vender's?  That's a whole different story.  I'm going to look for the Krylon dull aluminum I heard good news about.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Chatt69chgr

My recollection is that Ford and Chrysler products were painted with Acrylic Enamel.  GM products were painted with lacquer.  The GM had a better finish----less orange peel.  And you could rub out and polish the lacquer.  Not so the acrylic enamel.  Dupont Imron was used on helicopters and other industrial applications.  It has lead in it so was pretty much banned later except for industrial use.  But it gives a beautiful finish.  I know a guy locally that restores old industrial engines and he uses it.  He has done work for the Smithsonian.  I sure wouldn't have wanted to be around when that car painted with Imron when it was sandblasted.  Even trace amounts of lead can cause learning difficulties in children.  I bet that shop still has lead dust in nooks and crannies of the bldg.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on January 26, 2008, 11:50:16 AM
My recollection is that Ford and Chrysler products were painted with Acrylic Enamel.  GM products were painted with lacquer.  The GM had a better finish----less orange peel.  And you could rub out and polish the lacquer.  Not so the acrylic enamel.  Dupont Imron was used on helicopters and other industrial applications.  It has lead in it so was pretty much banned later except for industrial use.  But it gives a beautiful finish.  I know a guy locally that restores old industrial engines and he uses it.  He has done work for the Smithsonian.  I sure wouldn't have wanted to be around when that car painted with Imron when it was sandblasted.  Even trace amounts of lead can cause learning difficulties in children.  I bet that shop still has lead dust in nooks and crannies of the bldg.
Gee, would of never thought of that?  I was real anal back then, today I would leave it Imron.  So that's why they stopped using it?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

daytonalo

I think it is still around , but no where near as good as it used to be . It was very high in Isocyanate's!! I used to spray this shit without a mask when I was a dumb kid !!.

Larry

69bronzeT5

I'm gonna be playing the grille paint game pretty soon too. Just need to figure out how to get the grille apart and take the trim off
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 26, 2008, 04:40:20 PM
I'm gonna be playing the grille paint game pretty soon too. Just need to figure out how to get the grille apart and take the trim off
Very easy, just undo what is done.

69bronzeT5

I tryed unbolting the trim (from the back) but it wouldnt come off.....oh well, I guess I'll try again when I get home
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

69_500

I know a bunch of guys who did restorations back in the early 80's (if you want to call most of those a restoration) used lacquer paint, and it is totally different than an origional paint job. I'm still trying to look up exactly what paints were used on these cars and their trim parts, but if and when I do find it I'll post it.

1969chargerrtse

You know (69 0ur tea)  Paul  had told me the Eastwood detail grey looked exact.  Here's an update of working on my engine compartment, notice the detail grey on the steering shaft.  I think he may be right and I'm going to shoot the right bucket tomorrow and see how it looks.  I did a small piece and showed it in the first thread listing and thought it was to dark, but maybe not?  I'll post a picture of it, when it's done.

1969chargerrtse

Did anyone notice there is no line between the movable headlamp door and the connecting grille center?  Looks like Dodge did some fancy air brush work in their promotional pictures.

69chargeryeehaa

yes there is, it's just too dark, i lightened it up a bit.   :D

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on January 27, 2008, 08:02:21 PM
We must be looking at different gaps because it's still not there?  I'm talking about the silver line that wraps around the door.

1969chargerrtse

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 27, 2008, 08:44:02 PM
We must be looking at different gaps because it's still not there?  I'm talking about the silver line that wraps around the door.

i see it, maybe your  :apimp: something?  :rofl: :smilielol: :shruggy:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on January 28, 2008, 09:54:38 AM

I'm sure with the help of a good eye doctor you will be fine. :icon_smile_wink:

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 28, 2008, 07:48:10 PM

the gaps are there, i see them, it must be the crappy pic, but it looks exactly like my grille. :eek2:  :nana: :shruggy: :D

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on January 28, 2008, 08:31:28 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 28, 2008, 07:48:10 PM

the gaps are there, i see them, it must be the crappy pic, but it looks exactly like my grille. :eek2:  :nana: :shruggy: :D
I know it's a standard grille for 69, that is a promotional picture.  I give up, I say they air brushed the gap closed to give a smooth continuous line, and you see the gap.  :shruggy:  Alrighty then. :eek2:

69chargeryeehaa

QuoteI know it's a standard grille for 69, that is a promotional picture.  I give up, I say they air brushed the gap closed to give a smooth continuous line, and you see the the gap.  :shruggy:  Alrighty then. :eek2:

ohhhhh, you mean the gap in the silver "pin-stripe" on the door???  I see what you mean, i see in the pic though the door itself, and where it ends, but maybe they touched up the pic to make the silver line solid, or the pic is very poor quality.  Also, a brand new grille that's tight and fits perfect, may have less gap than a 40yr old grille????   :eek2: :brickwall: :scratchchin: :RantExplode:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on January 28, 2008, 08:50:35 PM

QuoteI know it's a standard grille for 69, that is a promotional picture.  I give up, I say they air brushed the gap closed to give a smooth continuous line, and you see the the gap.  :shruggy:  Alrighty then. :eek2:

ohhhhh, you mean the gap in the silver "pin-stripe" on the door???  I see what you mean, i see in the pic though the door itself, and where it ends, but maybe they touched up the pic to make the silver line solid, or the pic is very poor quality.  Also, a brand new grille that's tight and fits perfect, may have less gap than a 40yr old grille????   :eek2: :brickwall: :scratchchin: :RantExplode:
My God, now I can sleep.   Thank you. :thumbup:

69chargeryeehaa

QuoteMy God, now I can sleep.   Thank you. :thumbup:

wait a minute, i see the gap again.... :eek2: :smilielol:
now you'll be up all night......my plan worked exactly as planned.....MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  :poke: :horse:

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

I was wondering how/why this thread got to be three pages long.... :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 29, 2008, 12:27:26 PM
I was wondering how/why this thread got to be three pages long.... :rotz:
Don't blame me, I just asked a simple question. :shruggy:

69_500

Ah but simple questions can rarely be answered with a simple answer. More often then not they require long drawn out explinations of even the simplest of ideas. Due to the lack of understanding of the one who is asking the question, and the relentless attempts at explaning it from the answerer of the question.

Okay enough babbling from me now.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on January 29, 2008, 05:32:05 PM
Ah but simple questions can rarely be answered with a simple answer. More often then not they require long drawn out explanations of even the simplest of ideas. Due to the lack of understanding of the one who is asking the question, and the relentless attempts at explaining it from the answerer of the question.

Okay enough babbling from me now.
What?   Imagine if all these pages actually had something to do with the original thread?  Man that would of been awesome.  Oh well.  :icon_smile_big: