News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct color for 69 Charger grille using spray cans

Started by 1969chargerrtse, January 11, 2008, 06:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargeryeehaa

QuoteWhat?   Imagine if all these pages actually had something to do with the original thread?  Man that would of been awesome.  Oh well.  :icon_smile_big:

less yappy more  :paintingpink:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on January 29, 2008, 06:24:34 PM

QuoteWhat?   Imagine if all these pages actually had something to do with the original thread?  Man that would of been awesome.  Oh well.  :icon_smile_big:

Here's the deal.  I have a life ( and wife and 3 kids ), and work.  I have that grille top on my list, but I have been side tracked again because it was suggested I get plastic primer.  So after work I have to locate that.  Then I'm going to spray one end bucket with the Eastwood detail grey and I will post it.  So be paitent you all ( It's winter anyway ) and soon I will post a picture of the end bucket. :yesnod: 
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 29, 2008, 06:29:09 PM
Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on January 29, 2008, 06:24:34 PM

Here's the deal.  I have a life ( and wife and 3 kids ), and work.  I have that grille top on my list, but I have been side tracked again because it was suggested I get plastic primer.  So after work I have to locate that.  Then I'm going to spray one end bucket with the Eastwood detail grey and I will post it.  So be paitent you all ( It's winter anyway ) and soon I will post a picture of the end bucket. :yesnod: 

Well Rob, 

Quit playing with evevators all the time and get on it.....you need to get youre priorities in line!! :D

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dc69383

I did my own "custom blend" of Rustoleum Smoke Grey and Aluminum, doing a couple trial mixes until I was happy with the look.....used my modelers airbrush.I think it was 3 parts smoke to 1 part aluminum. :2thumbs:
'69 IS FINE

six-tee-nine

Being in the grille painting process right now........ I did'nt went for a all black grill afterall and i must say in the end the factory look still will be the best.
I also could'nt stand the feeling of people thinking that the grill fell out when they see it from far....

About the silver..... I just grabbed to cans of silver from wich I tought they would come close and tried them out. The argent metallic silver appeared to be the winner (for me tough)

Will post anothet pic when put back together
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Shakey

69bronzeT5

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 30, 2008, 10:07:10 PM
I'm gonna assume thats a yes
You do model making, so use plastic primer so it bites into the plastic better.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Shakey

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 30, 2008, 10:07:10 PM
I'm gonna assume thats a yes

I wouldn't do that if I were you.

Read this thread (skip over the foolishness) and the many others about grille restorations and come to your own conclusion.

This is similar to the stolen Dart thread, you posted a warning about a stolen car that was already found.  Slow down pal and take the time to absorb all that this site has to offer.   :yesnod:

Charger-Bodie

I strongly reccomend the use of a plastics primer for better adhesion!  :Twocents:

The stuff I would reccoment is Sikkens Primer PO. It sprays clear, so if you do happen to get a chip you dont see some othe color like grey or red oxide etc.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

O.K we finally have pictures!  I did the grille in the Eastwood detail grey.  I really think it looks great and is a nice cross between the grille silver I feel is to bright and a black grille.  It should highlight the trim just fine.  I'll post more as I build the grille complete.  From what I've seen in pictures, this is real close if not exact.  Ignore the water droplets.  :icon_smile_big:

charger_mike75

69bronzeT5

Looks great! I just need to figure out how to fix the broken off corner piece on my grille and then the painting will begin. And yea, paint on plastic works better for sure if its primered. I've learned that the hard way on models.

1969chargerrtse

On my other thread about grille repair this link was suggested.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=blended&field-keywords=plastifix&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_blended_14142907_2&results-process=default
This stuff did a fantastic job of repairing the plastic.  I had a 2 bolt hole tab broken off at the bottom and really didn't think anything could hold it back on.  This Plastic fix stuff worked great and was easy to work with.  It starts off as a liquid where you can dribble it in a crack.  Then within in 30 seconds or so it gets pasty so you can spread it, and then it is hard as a rock.  It's the only reason my grille is done.  I repaired about 4 items perfectly and strong.

Shakey

69chargeryeehaa

since my grill is all black, i'm wondering if anyone has pics of where the silver starts and the black begins, espically on the grill section.   :shruggy:  just wondering where to tape off... :brickwall: :scratchchin: :cheers:

1969chargerrtse

Oh man you're gonna hate me.  I'm reshooting the grilles again but in the walmart Kilz Satan Nickel that looked best from the Beginning.  The detail grey is Oh so close , but a hair on the bronze color side.  I found another bucket that I believe has never been resprayed and has that dull silver look.  I shot the Satin Nickel over it and it just about disappeared.  I hate to do it but blame NJSTEVE, I asked him what he thought and he said he liked the Nickel better, and that is the color that matched best.  So get ready for another set of pictures of the grilles done in Satin Nickel  Sorry, but I want to get it right.  My camera sucks but the original bucket is on the right, the detail grey in the center and the Satin Nickel on the left.

69bronzeT5

Ok so Im gonna be buying paint very soon. Can somebody please tell me..out of all the paints....what paint should I use? You guys said the KILZ brand paint was the closest so I'll try to find that but which black is the closest?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 04, 2008, 12:28:46 AM
OK so I'm gonna be buying paint very soon. Can somebody please tell me..out of all the paints....what paint should I use? You guys said the KILZ brand paint was the closest so I'll try to find that but which black is the closest?
Bottom line is lots of people use the "grille silver"  I find it to light.  If you agree it's to light then you need to go more grey.  I painted all 3 pieces the Walmart Kilz Satin Nickel and it looks fantastic.  I'll post pictures when I come home tonight.  Problem was, It started out great.  I did 2 coats and was laying down the last and 3rd coat when it started laying down the silver/nickel color,BUT would also splat some darker tiny dots of a slightly darker color, little dots of this darker silver.  I tried everything to not let it happen.  The next day I went to Walmart a bought 3 more cans, all 3 did the same thing but not as bad, I had to get a wet coat, then start spraying away from the grille and sweep by kinda fast.  I still have the problem but if you saw the grille and I didn't point it out you wouldn't see it.  Overall, it looks as close as original that I've ever seen.  I went and got all the original pictures I had of 69 Chargers to make sure I was on the right path, and most looked just like the untouched bucket I have ( and your grille ). I will post pictures of the original grille and the Nickel grille tonight.   If you can't find that color at Walmart, try calling the company for a place near you, or I here the Krylon dull aluminum was close.  I know the kilz is very close , see pics at beginning of thread.  make sure you sand it down, then use plastic primer or a satn flat black plastic paint.  That stuff bites into the plastic great, then your paint.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on February 02, 2008, 12:29:10 PM
since my grill is all black, i'm wondering if anyone has pics of where the silver starts and the black begins, espically on the grill section.   :shruggy:  just wondering where to tape off... :brickwall: :scratchchin: :cheers:
Look though this thread, many great shots .

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,22445.0.html

69bronzeT5

Went to Walmart today...they didnt have the KILZ stuff OR the Kyrlon Semi Flat Black. Gonna check 2 more places

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 04, 2008, 03:01:07 PM
Went to Walmart today...they didnt have the KILZ stuff OR the Kyrlon Semi Flat Black. Gonna check 2 more places
I would call around first.  The barcode for the Kilz Satin Nickel is  0   51652  62747   3   And the SEM trim Black can be bought at any paint shop or all over on the net It's # 39143 

1969chargerrtse

Well here are some pictures of the grille.  I feel the satin Nickle is as close as I need to get.  Notice the original bucket in the rear.  I still have to strip and paint the doors and adjust the C end trim.

1969chargerrtse

I took my covers to a friends house and shot them with glass bead at about 40 to 60lbs pressure and was shocked what a great job it did without harming the plastic.  I saved about 10 hours sanding time for sure.

UPDATE  UPDATE  UPDATE....  I'm not so sure no harm was done.  They feel real ruff and I got a bad feeling they are micro pitted all over.  I'll know when I prime and paint them.  Update coming.