News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removal of Saginaw Power Steering pump pulley

Started by 1969chargerrtse, January 13, 2008, 09:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Has anyone removed the Power Steering pump pulley off the Saginaw type units on a 69 440 charger type?  The nut on the end is not your standard Hexagon shape but a nut with shaved sides.  I'm starting to feel I'm going to have to bring it to a special shop. (Of course)
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Well, I think I can answer my own problem.  It looks like in the Dodge Service manual that the pulley is pressed on.  Then there is a Hexagon type nut over that.  The reason I can't get my pulley off is that it is missing the nut and I was forcing the shaved welded nut that is a complete part of the pulley.  In other words I was clamping the pulley in a vise and cranking down on the same pulley.  The pulley is bent, and I have  a repro one, but someone must of taken the nut off in the past. Jeez. Imagine if after all the work I'm doing on restoring the engine and engine compartment, that sometime next summer the pulley went flying off th car?  Man, this thing as slapped together by a bunch of idiots.  If you ever did this by yourself, comments on getting the pressed pulley off would be great.  Many thanks.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Chatt69chgr

A regular socket fit mine.  Be darned careful with the reservoir.  If you have the original which was a oval filler tube with round reservoir and metal cap then you will find the reservoir very hard to replace and real easy to dent (this type reservoir was discontinued in 1971).  If you try to order a rebuilt unit, you will get the one with the egg shaped reservoir.  You can get a rebuild kit from Advance Auto Parts for about $10.  I cleaned up the case on mine and repainted it semi-gloss black.  And painted the cast iron part with Dupli-color cast cote iron so it wouldn't rust.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on January 13, 2008, 10:16:10 PM
A regular socket fit mine.  Be darned careful with the reservoir.  If you have the original which was a oval filler tube with round reservoir and metal cap then you will find the reservoir very hard to replace and real easy to dent (this type reservoir was discontinued in 1971).  If you try to order a rebuilt unit, you will get the one with the egg shaped reservoir.  You can get a rebuild kit from Advance Auto Parts for about $10.  I cleaned up the case on mine and repainted it semi-gloss black.  And painted the cast iron part with Dupli-color cast cote iron so it wouldn't rust.
Wow, thanks for the tip, I believe I have the original as you described.  I don't need  a socket yet as there is no nut, darn thing could of flown off.  I saw new nuts somewhere on the net.

Steve P.

Are you sure that it threads on??

Is there an area just behind the face of the center that has a deep recess all the way around it? If so it is pressed on and off.

I just rebuilt my 65' pump and it is a press on. I used ADVANCE Auto parts puller to remove mine. If I remember right yours is pressed on and off also.

Also if memory serves me, your pump has a threaded hole in the center. That is for pressing the pulley back on. It works the same as pressing your H-balancer on the crank.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Steve P. on January 13, 2008, 10:47:48 PM

Is there an area just behind the face of the center that has a deep recess all the way around it? If so it is pressed on and off.

I just rebuilt my 65' pump and it is a press on. I used ADVANCE Auto parts puller to remove mine. If I remember right yours is pressed on and off also.

Also if memory serves me, your pump has a threaded hole in the center. That is for pressing the pulley back on. It works the same as pressing your H-balancer on the crank.
I didn't say it threads on?  The nut that threads on is missing, and yes the book says pressed on.  That's the info I was looking for, thank you very much.

The70RT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 14, 2008, 06:40:09 AM
Quote from: Steve P. on January 13, 2008, 10:47:48 PM

I didn't say it threads on?  The nut that threads on is missing, and yes the book says pressed on.  That's the info I was looking for, thank you very much.

Harbor Frieght may have a tool for like 15 bucks. I think that's where I got mine a few years ago.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BrianShaughnessy

I swapped my pulley over to a chrome bouchillon set awhile back... I don't recall having too bad a problem  :shruggy:.

Found this in the moparts tech archive :   http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/steering/1.html

Note the stuff available from Bouchillon...  usually also available thru Mancini Racing.  The special nuts for the saginaw pumps. http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEPowerSteering.asp   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 17, 2008, 12:11:56 PM

I swapped my pulley over to a chrome bouchillon set awhile back... I don't recall having too bad a problem  :shruggy:.

Found this in the moparts tech archive :   http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/steering/1.html

Note the stuff available from Bouchillon...  usually also available thru Mancini Racing.  The special nuts for the saginaw pumps. http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEPowerSteering.asp   
Thanks for the link it tells me two things.  1) Everthing I need to know.  2) My pump is not a saginaw but the other one.  Ooooppps.