News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

truck torsion bar placement & latch....

Started by hemi68charger, March 14, 2007, 06:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang...

Got the truck bottoned up, but need some confirmation.. Anyone have a picture of the torsion bars? What I'm curious is which one when in front of the other.......  Also, I'm almost certain that the truck latch wasn't painted. It was natural and black phosphate bolts, no?

Thanks,,,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Charger-Bodie

to answer youre question about the latch striker ive seen them 2 ways silver plate with black phos bolts like you said, and painted and most ive seen were painted on my current charger when i revoved the striker from the lid it was painted and the metal under it was bare so i would assume its always been that way the sucky part about it is that ive seen some orig cars with painted striker and after being painted the bolts were loosened and the striker adjusted that looks like crap but if doing a real resto you would prob need to duplicate that { i would have a hard time looking at that myself} so you need to install the latch  and adjust the striker before paint or go the plated route and adjust all you want!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 14, 2007, 07:08:50 PM
to answer youre question about the latch striker ive seen them 2 ways silver plate with black phos bolts like you said, and painted and most ive seen were painted on my current charger when i revoved the striker from the lid it was painted and the metal under it was bare so i would assume its always been that way the sucky part about it is that ive seen some orig cars with painted striker and after being painted the bolts were loosened and the striker adjusted that looks like crap but if doing a real resto you would prob need to duplicate that { i would have a hard time looking at that myself} so you need to install the latch  and adjust the striker before paint or go the plated route and adjust all you want!

You make a good point..... After doing some more browsing in my resto. album, I discovered this and my car was an original paint car.......

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemigeno

Troy, what I've heard is that the correct treatment for a Charger on the striker would be to have it plated (unpainted) - just like in your decklid picture.

However, the C500's and Daytonas were done differently.  On those, the strikers were normally installed before the decklid was painted - so they are supposed to be painted body color.  They weren't too careful though, and so there were areas of the striker that didn't get 100% paint coverage.  Here's my car's untouched decklid latch:

hemigeno

Also, all I could find real handy on the decklid torsion bars was a blurry picture.  Hopefully this will give you some kind of an idea on placement.  Sorry for the picture quality!

hemi68charger

Very cool Geno......... Thanks man....... Looks like, looking from left to right, the driver's side bar crosses, relative to the car, behind the passenger side........

Troy
Troy

hemigeno

That's the way I would see it too.  Again, I apologize for the blurry pic.  I dug around and found one I took last Saturday, maybe it'll be of more help to ya?

hemi68charger

Great Geno.....  Thanks alot......    :thumbs:
Troy

K9COP

Don't know if you've seen 'Charger, Road runner and Super Bee' by Paul A Herd, but it lists part numbers and finishes for these cars. p172 says "Striker finishes varies from unpainted to painted to match the colour of the car".. "The unpainted latch (part # 2167260) was a universal part". Don't forget the plastic slide that stops the torsion bars from rattling (part # 2842714).. I'll dip into this book for anyone who want's uber-geek info.

Paul
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

resq302

If you read on in that same book, there is a lot of inaccuracies also. :-\
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

K9COP

I knew someone would come up with that.. or well.. noobs (like me) have to start somewhere..
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

PocketThunder

why are 68 and 69 torsion bar mounts different?  I have one 68 torsion bar and 3 69's  :brickwall:

Anyone with an extra 68 torsion bar?

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Shakey

Here's to Paul for utilizing the search feature instead of starting a new thread about the same thing!   :cheers:

Sorry pal, that's all I can offer.   :eek2:

PocketThunder

Quote from: PocketThunder on January 16, 2008, 04:39:48 PM
why are 68 and 69 torsion bar mounts different?  I have one 68 torsion bar and 3 69's  :brickwall:

Anyone with an extra 68 torsion bar?

Paul
in St. Paul

:bump:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."