News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine bay paint prep?

Started by 1BAD68, January 10, 2008, 10:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

I'm redoing my engine bay and so far I have degreased it and then used a toothbrush and scrubbed everything clean.
I noticed that the paint is actually in great shape (not flaking off) and no rust underneath.
As long as its nice and clean, can I shoot some epoxy primer on it or do I need to sand it first?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1BAD68 on January 10, 2008, 10:49:19 AM
I'm redoing my engine bay and so far I have degreased it and then used a toothbrush and scrubbed everything clean.
I noticed that the paint is actually in great shape (not flaking off) and no rust underneath.
As long as its nice and clean, can I shoot some epoxy primer on it or do I need to sand it first?

It needs to be sanded!....And sanded really well,or it will peel......Id reccomend sandblasting it, even if it is clean. The results are just crisper and last much longer!  :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68_R/T_Eric

If you are going to repaint it, it is always a good idea to sand it! 180 grit on a DA is good to knock down the paint and a good base to shoot primer on! :Twocents:

Eric

suntech

I would sandblast it!!
Anything else will start to peel in a while.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!