News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone get their 440source heads yet???? SOLD OUT TILL FEB!

Started by Mfr426, January 17, 2008, 03:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

Quote from: jerry on January 30, 2008, 11:43:25 PM
Quote from: 375instroke on January 29, 2008, 04:17:57 AM
For those of you that won't buy these heads because they are not made in America, can you say you don't run foreign gasoline through your American made heads?  How much money do you give to the Middle East compared to what you give Edelbrock?  I'm getting a set now without a motor for them just because of the crap the Source is getting.
gotta be the dumbest reason to buy a set of heads.  :Twocents:
::)  :rotz:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

beedees

Has anybody here with a flowbench here actually flowed a set according to specs. that a 'bench is designed for? Flowbenchs were actully made to measure the ACTUAL flow as compared to the max. flow POSSIBLE for a given valve size. IMHO, flow  numbers @ 28" have very little in common with the real world actual air flow through an engine. The ONLY way to compare 2 heads is to do it according to the book....290cfm @.700 lift doesn't mean squat. What you are looking for is actual flow compared to potential flow.....a
98% flowing head with, say a 2.07 valve is WAY better thab a 80% head with 2.140 valves, eve though the numbers are comparable. Then you get into the variables like velocity, reversion, turbulence, etc. Really the only way to evalulate a head is by the numbers on an E.T. slip. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

SeattleCharger

Quote from: RD on February 02, 2008, 01:10:47 AM
Quote from: jerry on January 30, 2008, 11:43:25 PM
Quote from: 375instroke on January 29, 2008, 04:17:57 AM
For those of you that won't buy these heads because they are not made in America, can you say you don't run foreign gasoline through your American made heads?  How much money do you give to the Middle East compared to what you give Edelbrock?  I'm getting a set now without a motor for them just because of the crap the Source is getting.
gotta be the dumbest reason to buy a set of heads.  :Twocents:
::)  :rotz:

:2thumbs:  :rotz:                 

:shruggy:                          I buy my gas from Exxon up the street, best gas in town IMO,  Exxon is american, but I don't know where they get there gas from, alaska? saudi arabia?    I will get these heads probably for my plans and budget,  440 source an american company isn't it?  I thought it was, but I don't know, 
 edit:  removed politics

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Runner

you gys that bought these heads might want to look though this thread BEFORE you bolt the heads on.  and then deside what gasket your going to use. the 8519 gasket that fast68 has in his first pic has a 4.50 bore i believe and is generally one of the bigger bored easy to get bb mopar gaskets.   

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Racer&Number=4161477&Searchpage=1&Main=4133873&Words=+fast68plymouth&topic=&Search=true#Post4161477

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Mfr426

Runner, great find! I (think) the end result is that the Stealth Heads have the same issues with the overlap as the Eddy heads?

Hopefully some of resident experts will share their views...

:popcrn:

Runner

426 that 8519 head gasket that has an overlap problem is a pretty large bore gasket.    in fact i have a friend here that had an issue with the chamfer on the cylender of his 440 block, he was having a hardtime finding a head gasket that the fire ring didint hang into the chamfer. i gave him a set of 8519s, a set of mcords and a set of mopar steel shims, the 8519s cleared the chamfer just fine.  none of the others did.acording to dwyane the problem with the e heads comes up with the 1009 gaskets,  i believe the  bore on those to be 4.44 or in that ball park  so i guess i would say they have the same type of issue, but the heads are an easy workaround with several shelfed inexpensive gasket choices to go by.     ive bought stuff from brandon in the past, and i didint post this here as a means of bashing his heads. i posted here because i know alot of you guys bought the stuff and wanted to give you a heads up. i will say though , that if brandon and his gang start bashing dwyane on moparts i will have bought my last part from 440 source. dwayne does nothing but look the stuff over and report his finding weather it be good, bad or indifferent.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on February 02, 2008, 10:51:25 PM
you gys that bought these heads might want to look though this thread BEFORE you bolt the heads on.  and then deside what gasket your going to use. the 8519 gasket that fast68 has in his first pic has a 4.50 bore i believe and is generally one of the bigger bored easy to get bb mopar gaskets.   

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Racer&Number=4161477&Searchpage=1&Main=4133873&Words=+fast68plymouth&topic=&Search=true#Post4161477

Mike, thanks for the link  :2thumbs:

Interesting observations from Dwayne on the Stealths. Obviously there is a design flaw with that particular head. I'm wondering if the ROL gaskets that 440 source sells will have the same overhang issue.  :scratchchin:

Maybe it's just one bad head casting....we'll see soon enough.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mally69

Oh gees..  This doesn't sound good at all. I have a set of those ROL head gaskets  at the shop but i don't have the heads yet, I am kinda stumped here.  If you guys want i could measure them and post up the info on those ROL gaskets tomarrow...

mally69

Here I went to their web site, here is ROL's head gasket info.
DODGE CHARGER R/T V8 7.2L 440ci GAS CA 1969 High Temp. - Graphite w/POZI-SEAL Bead (4.505" Bore - .045" CT - 11.8cc CV)  Head Gasket HG31130HT

Paul G

I just posted this in another thread on here about Rol Gaskets, but I will put it here again. I dont have any way to measure the overhang other than feel.

"I test fit the Rol head gasket on the Stealth head. Like the pics in that link it does overhang just a little in a couple of spots on two of the cylinders. You can just feel it is not flush. I would say no more than .010" if I were to guess. I dug the used Fel Pro FEL8519PT1 head gasket out of the trash can and it had more overhang than the Rol did, and in more places. So I put the heads on with the Rol gaskets and started all the new ARP bolts in the holes. Just left them hand tight so the heads wont fall off."

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

my73charger

my73charger

Complete.  Now I just have to begin the long wait, which is ok because I wouldn't drive it in the snow anyway.  But it will be worth it. Meanwhile I can work on replacing the torsion bars and installing my MSD box.

hard-charger

my73charger

mally69

From what i have found is  ( second hand ) becuase i have not received mine yet, but the ROL gaskets that 440 source sells are supposed to work and its possible that you may have to slot the dowel holes a bit to get it to line up. . I just got off the phone with 440source and they said they haven't had any trouble with the ROL gaskets fitting. They also flow almost as good as the eddy's so they are comparable on that part.

mally69

Here guys, these are the flow numbers that Dwayne came up with.. The top are the stealth's and the bottom is eddy's..  I would guess if you had plain old stock heads these would really wake up the engine IMO..  They also said they should have the second batch in my the 3rd week of feb.

4.375 bore, 28" test pressure, radius plate on intake, no tube on exhaust:

average flow for #5 and #7 cylinder

lift----I/E
.100--63.8/49.0
.200-140.5/104.1
.300-207.8/139.7
.400-239.2/164.6
.450-248.1/172.5
.500-256.1/177.8
.550-261.5/182.6
.600-265.3/188.2
.650-267.3/191.5
.700-267.3/195.8

here is an OOTB E head i tested recently, also the average for a left and right cylinder:

lift----I/E
.100--66.1/50.8
.200-138.3/105.4
.300-203.8/140.5
.400-243.1/163.6
.450-258.0/170.4
.500-265.7/178.6
.550-272.3/185.3
.600-276.5/190.3
.650-276.1/194.6
.700-275.7/197.3

oh, and this particular head wouldnt have worked with a 1009 gasket either, but was okay with an 8519.

komninon

Runner

69chargerR/T

I would also like to know what the fix is for the gasket overhang problem :shruggy: Dwayne deleted all his post on moparts. 440 source seems to make good parts at a good price but, every time someone post info on moparts about 440 source guys start bashing 440 source and the guys that post that are trying to help us get some info get bashed too !!!! So now know one will post any info on the new heads, so how are we going find out about this gasket problem, and what gaskets will work and what won't  :shruggy: I want to get a set of these heads in the future but if I can't find out what the fix is or get any info I'll buy eddys or some thing else !!!!! I hope Dwayne will post on this site with info on these heads, because the guys on this site share info and don't bash or bad mouth guys or company's  for asking a question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan 

Super68

From what I've read and the pictures posted the ROL #31130 gaskets will work as will the Felpro 8519. I think you have to slightly modify the dowel holes though.

I've also read that the Felpros 1009 had the same problem on the Edelbrocks.

I'm just waiting on my Gaskets and bolts to bolt mine on.

Musicman

:iagree:

This was Brandon's responce to the question on the other forum...

We've tested these heads on many different engines, and run the snot out of them with no problems. We have always used the ROL 31130 gaskets, since that's what is supplied in the gasket sets we sell, so we just pulled some off the shelf when putting the engines together.

It is known that 1009's have a smaller fire ring than ROL's or standard felpro 8519 permatorque's. We've tested a few different gaskets, and they fit our heads pretty much exacly the same as they fit Edelbrocks. Dwayne himself states above in his post that he's seen many Eddy's that are questionable "at best" with the 1009 gasket.

Eddies have been on the market for 6 years, at least. They have hundreds of millions of dollars behind them, not to mention teams of engineers... and they don't seem to feel it's a problem. Or maybe they just haven't gotten around to "fixing" it for the last 6 years. I guess they've shipped 30,000+ heads that they'll need to issue call tags for.

Oh, and he also says it's an (and I quote directly) "very common problem" with Mopar stage 6's. So I guess Mopar should issue call tags for, (and people should return) every stage 6 head ever sold. What a joke.

In fact, I'm looking at the above picture of the 8519 permatorque in dragginmopars post, and I really cant see any "problem" at all. Ok, at about 2 o'clock there is one tiny spot where it looks like the gasket comes up to the edge of the chamber, but if you think that's some type of serious defect and we're going to start issuing call tags and returning heads (as many have suggested) I think you're in for a rude awakening.

We are always trying to improve our parts. We may even decide to tweak the chamber on our heads a bit so it works OOTB with a 1009 gasket (which at that point would be an advantage over eddies, stage 6's and others) however, they're CERTAINLY not currently defective in any way.

The same few people sit on here waiting to pounce at the first second that anyone makes any comment whatsoever (good or bad) about our parts, solely because of their political agendas. None of these people have ever actually bought anything from us, and I'm sure they never will. We are critisized for the tinyist little details, while other companies parts (which have the same or often even more issues AND cost 3-4 times as much) don't even get mentioned. Then, many of these same people have their sigs packed full of all the brand names they are selling, many of which compete directly with the parts we offer. You'd have to be blind not to be able to read between the lines and see what's going on here.

Last week, someone flows our heads, says they flow pretty much the same as eddies on his bench, and everyone jumps in with how they're "barely more than a stock replacement head" Meanwhile, for years eddies are known as a great head, and people are running 10's with them pretty much out of the box. I just don't get it.

The rest was simply a personal bashing of the forum in question ( and rightfully so in my opinion )

mally69

I also was looking for some good info on these heads. But on moparts it wasn't going to happen.. I bought a set and i will most definatly post pics and all that jazz as soon as  i receive them. I was also wondering about copper head gaskets I have never used them so I would not have any idea on how well they work, but I was thinking maybe give those a try just for the heck of it :shruggy:

TUFCAT

I also bought a set last week. Its a shame that all that bashing is going on..... I will just buy the damn head gasket that 440 source recommends and be done with it!!  Geez, why does this stuff have to happen??  :eek2: