News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

295/50s NOT BFGs

Started by 0X01B8, January 19, 2008, 02:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0X01B8

So what do you like for 295/50s?  I'm assuming the BFGs never come back and I've read plenty of complaints about them being not very round anyway.

- Cooper Cobra
- Mastercraft Avenger
- Kumho Road Venture

Has anybody used any of these?  I know there's some Cooper people around. It looks like the tires above are still available and with smaller sizes for the front as well, like a 245/60.  There's some random 295/50s on ebay, but I've had a hard time finding anything in the same brand with a similar height for the front.  There's a Toyo Proxes S/T that looks pretty wild but of course no smaller sizes.   :-\  I'm leaning toward the Mastercraft tires.  I'd stay with 17s but the wheels I want are only available in 15s.  I suppose I could give up this quest (I'm going for a certain look) and drop down to a 275/60 OR just go with a something-close-compromise 17" wheel and have about a million tire choices.

bull

Firestone has some nice options for muscle cars too. 1hot68 has some Wide O Ovals that look good on his car IMO and they come in a 295 I believe. There's also the Firehawk Indy 500.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/Index_BS_EN.aspx?src=Firestone_Photos

0X01B8

Quote from: bull on January 20, 2008, 12:19:27 AM
Firestone has some nice options for muscle cars too. 1hot68 has some Wide O Ovals that look good on his car IMO and they come in a 295 I believe. There's also the Firehawk Indy 500.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/Index_BS_EN.aspx?src=Firestone_Photos

I went to the local Firestone place yesterday and they're gone...discontinued.   :icon_smile_angry:  They guy looked up any 295/50 in their system and a a half dozen came up with a zero under price, meaning they're history.

bull

I guess with the sales of 17-inch+ wheels and tires going up so much the old school sizes aren't selling. :shruggy: I hate to say it but it might be a good idea to go out and grab a pair of 275/60-15s while you still can.

John_Kunkel

Tirerack lists both of them as being available but the info might be out of date.

Anybody hear a rumor about Coker Tire buying the T/A line from BFG?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bull

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 21, 2008, 04:38:14 PM

Tirerack lists both of them as being available but the info might be out of date.

Anybody hear a rumor about Coker Tire buying the T/A line from BFG?

I haven't heard that rumor but something strange is going on with the company for sure. For one, WalMart is dropping BFG entirely.

0X01B8

SCORE!!!   :icon_smile_big:  Called the local Goodyear dealer and they found some at another store.  I've been so used to hearing 'nope' so I was sorta surprised and asked the guy, "do these actually exist?"    :o The other place had (4) 295/50 Eagle GT IIs in stock.  So I got all 4 of them and 2 235/60s for the front.  These tires keep showing up and disappearing on Tirerack with an estimated availability of 1/28/08 so I don't know what the real story is...

-john

bull

What about the Eagle STs? Do they come in 295?

0X01B8

Quote from: bull on January 30, 2008, 03:33:56 AM
What about the Eagle STs? Do they come in 295?

I think STs are history too but I didn't check.

The good news is I got my tires mounted/balanced today.  ;D The bad news is the 2 of the new wheels were bent!  I guess from shipping.  :icon_smile_angry:  So I put one on to check fitment and it all looks good.  I still have LH thread wheel studs on the left rear so I had to put it on the passengers side - these wheels need a non standard style lug nut - RH thread only.  Anyway, I pulled the car out of the garage as much as I could (there's a disabled car behind mine) and jumped into a snow drift to take a picture.  Imagine a black stripe on it and possibly tinted windows.

Silver R/T

I have Dayton Daytona S/R's on mine
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

0X01B8

Here's a crappy picture.  I got the LH thread wheels studs changed out yesterday and put on all the new wheels. The rears fit just about perfect.  Winter is killing me - I don't think it will ever end.

terrible one

Quote from: 0X01B8 on February 10, 2008, 02:07:57 PM
Here's a crappy picture.  I got the LH thread wheels studs changed out yesterday and put on all the new wheels. The rears fit just about perfect.  Winter is killing me - I don't think it will ever end.

Awesome dude! Are those the Cragar D Windows? What sizes and what tire sizes are you running? I was going to go with those wheels 15x7, 4.25" backspacing with a 235 on front and 15x8, 4.75" backspacing with a 295 on the rear. . .

0X01B8

Quote from: terrible one on February 10, 2008, 03:46:53 PM
Awesome dude! Are those the Cragar D Windows? What sizes and what tire sizes are you running? I was going to go with those wheels 15x7, 4.25" backspacing with a 235 on front and 15x8, 4.75" backspacing with a 295 on the rear. . .

I was very close to getting the Cragars in a 17 just to have a wide tire selection.  They're Bassett DOT wheels.  F - 235/60 15x7, 3.625" backspace (I wanted more actually) and R - 295/50 15x8, 4.5" backspace.  I haven't been able to drive it yet but I doubt the front tires are gonna rub on the fender.  One thing about the Bassett wheels is that they're lug centric.  Most every wheel is hub centric which is how they're balanced, using the hub.  These are supposed to be balanced using an adapter so the wheel can be mounted on the balancer using the lugs.  I gave up trying to explain this to the tire shop  -- they said the wheels were bent.  When the weather turns around I'm taking it to a shop that can balance them on the car, which sounds like the way to go.

terrible one

VERY nice man. It seems that my combo should work then, as the backspace on the fronts is a tad more than yours (and you said you wanted more), and also judging from your beautiful rear wheel picture it seems that an extra .25" of backspace should be fine for me without rubbing the leaf spring. Good deal!

Musicman

On the topic of backspace... When I was shopping around for rims to mount my 295/50/15 BFG tires, I took very careful backspace measurements... I then ordered the rims with with an extra 1/4" of backspace, using the logic that if the rims ended up a little to tight on the inside, I could always shim them out a bit... but if I ordered them without the extra backspace, and they turned out to be to tight at the fender, then there would be nothing I could do about it. Better safe than sorry.... Having the rims built with a custom backspace only cost me $12 more than stock by the way.  :Twocents:

Mike  :cheers:

tan top

Quote from: 0X01B8 on February 10, 2008, 02:07:57 PM

:drool5:    that looks mean with them wheel :yesnod: .. looks like a grand national  stock car .........  :2thumbs: ..... i'm likening it  :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html