News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CAP Tubular K-frame

Started by 71charger_fan, January 23, 2008, 10:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71charger_fan

Anyone use, or know anyone that has used one of these? My K-frame, to put it mildly, is a bit banged up. This looks like a nice product to replace what's beat up, maybe remove some weight, and keep the stock suspension.

http://www.capautoproducts.com/Tubular_K_Frame.html

Mopar2Ya

It looks like a very interesting setup. It looks like the same one Mancini is selling?
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/tuk1.html

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

71charger_fan

Same item, same price. I might just go for it. Shipping costs might decide the issue as to where I buy it if I do. No one lists '71 B-bodies, but they have the same part number K-frame from the factory as an E-body so the E-body piece should be a bolt in.

Mopar2Ya

I really like the whole setup. It states the LC's are twice as strong.  :scratchchin: & the SR's don't use bushings. Aren't '71 b bodies the same as '70? IIRC '72 was the yr they changed?
Did you notice the slots where the LC's mount? I'm guessing so ride height can be changed?

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

71charger_fan

I'd have to double check the Mopar parts book, but they list separate part numbers for the E-bodies and the '70 and older B-bodies on the Mancini website.

Mike DC

Those setups look promising, but I'd like to see some real numbers. 
Right now I see a bunch of blanket statements of "new is better than old" without much specific data behind it. 

It wouldn't take much work to make a little chart on the website comparing the weights of the new pieces against the old ones. 

And do it part-for-part please.  I don't just want numbers for the whole new & old setup without specifics.  (The stock power steering setup alone probably totals another 30 pounds against a modern manual R/P setup.  Is that the only area that actually produces a significant weight loss?)

And how are they comparing it to "twice as strong as stock?"  Did they actually twist a stock K-frame until it broke or something?

FJMG

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 23, 2008, 03:19:14 PM
And how are they comparing it to "twice as strong as stock?"  Did they actually twist a stock K-frame until it broke or something?

Sounds like marketing, if the new item is half the weight of the old and carries the same load then the theoretical capability per unit weight is double.

I have often argued that if you take the claim "twice as strong as stock" literally then imagine how much more weight can be reduced if you made it "as strong as stock"!!

Sinister68

Be forewarned:  It took CAP 1 full month to finally get me the correct driver's side tubular LCA.  I had to send back 2 different LCA's before I got the correct part.  :P
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

71charger_fan

Weight removal is the least of my priorities. I don't know if I'd bother with the control arms or just keep my stockers. Although it would be nice to have all new parts.

Sinister68

I just thought you should know that it might take them a few tries to get you the right parts.  :cheers:
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: Sinister68 on January 24, 2008, 08:39:31 PM
I just thought you should know that it might take them a few tries to get you the right parts.  :cheers:
Once you got all the right parts, did you like the setup? Is it a quality piece(pieces)? Did it install w/o hassle & perform well? TY.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

71charger_fan

They've been quite helpful in deciphering their offerings and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on ordering a complete package with upper and lower control arms. $2400 powder coated in the color of my choice.

71charger_fan

I went ahead and ordered the complete kit. Now I'll just have to wait and see if I just wasted this year's car budget or not.

zerfetzen

I'm very interested in their whole setup, including rack and pinion.  I'm hoping somebody chimes in with experience with the k-frame before I get my money together... :popcrn:
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

71charger_fan

I won't see it until after it's installed. I sure hope they remember to take photos of the project. As of now, I should be back in the U.S. in time for Carlisle, so I should have the car there. By then it should have its new k-frame, Schumacher headers, and Pypes exhaust. I'm thinking of ordering a TCI streetfighter trans for it since the labor to swap that will be minimal since the trans has to come out of the car anyway.

d72hemi

any updates? I am also looking at this setup.

71charger_fan

All the parts have been delivered to the shop that's doing the install. I went with a Cope transmission. I'm stuck in Pakistan until mid-May, then I'll be back in Egypt until late June. I won't get back to Maryland to see the car until then. He told me about ten days ago that he should get my car on the rack in 2 or 3 weeks. So it shouldn't be long until I have some real feedback. The only thing that made me really have to think was that the k-frame has no provision for sway bar. CAP will do that for you if you ask. I decided to have the shop doing the install handle that, even though they'll have to grind some of the powder coat to do it.

71charger_fan

This is where the k-frame swap will be done, hopefully, once they get started they'll post photos.

http://www.fastlanefabrications.com/index.php

71charger_fan

K-frame is in and the suspension parts were supposed to go in yesterday. The only snag was they sent the wrong motor mounts. I e-mailed CAP and asked them to call the shop. They did, got the explanation of what was needed vs. what was shipped and the correct parts are already on the way. I don't mind when little mistakes are made, as long as the company steps up and makes it right. As long as my wife never figures out how much I've spent on this project, I will live to enjoy it. New k-frame, control arms, Moog suspension parts, Schumacher headers, Pypes exhaust, Cope Racing transmission, driver's side floor. Now that I think of it, I don't want to know how much I've spent.

71charger_fan

New K-frame

71charger_fan

Old K-frame

71charger_fan

Installed except for sway bar.

71charger_fan

By the way, those are the dreaded, much maligned, taller spindles. People that were born at the time I installed them are probably licensed drivers now. Never a problem.

71charger_fan

My new CRT-built 727, because I needed something shiny to make the engine look even shabbier than it already did.

71charger_fan

I finally got to see the car. The front suspension looks great.