News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 dodge charger 500 with 440 motor on AZ craigslist

Started by petercharger, February 09, 2008, 03:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ChargerSE

Guys, I just talked to the fellow tonight.  He's also got a '71 and a lot of parts for 3rd gens that I'm going to try to buy from him.  I won't be able to get out to Phoenix until the 30th, but I am in contact with the guy and if he still has it in a couple of weeks, I am definitely looking at it.  I can take pictures because I am DEFINITELY going to Phoenix in a couple weeks.  That being said, I hope it's a nice car and I hope someone on the board gets a hold of it.

Paul

RAC95054

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on February 14, 2008, 01:30:48 AM
Guys, I just talked to the fellow tonight.  He's also got a '71 and a lot of parts for 3rd gens that I'm going to try to buy from him.  I won't be able to get out to Phoenix until the 30th, but I am in contact with the guy and if he still has it in a couple of weeks, I am definitely looking at it.  I can take pictures because I am DEFINITELY going to Phoenix in a couple weeks.  That being said, I hope it's a nice car and I hope someone on the board gets a hold of it.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.  Yes, it would be nice if someone here ends up with both his cars, to give them a good new home.  :yesnod:  Hopefully he'll email me some pictures this weekend as he said he would, and I will post them if he does.  Else, I'll just have to bug him again.  ;)  -Russ
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

69_500

Very nice guy to talk to. I am going to call him back tomorrow night, due to today being Valentines day and all. Don't want to pester a man on a day like this. Seemed like a very nice guy to talk to.

I have a few more questions about the car that I want to ask him, that I didn't get around to asking last night.

Positive note though to those interested in the car. IT IS A LEGIT 500. It is a numbers matching car as far as the engine goes, he hasn't checked the trans though. Has a fender tag. Broadcast sheet could still be in the car, he hasn't ever looked for it. I'm not kidding when I say the car is nicer than the 500 I have body wise. I think that the few mechanical issues were more along the lines of the brakes on the car, rather than any of the actual running geat (motor, trans).

learical1

I'll calll him tomorrow; see if I can stop by Saturday with a notebook and the digital camera. 

Let's see, 30 miles each way, thats 3 gallons of gas and about a 6 pack of beer... :smilielol:
Bruce

RAC95054

Quote from: learical1 on February 14, 2008, 05:57:04 PM
I'll calll him tomorrow; see if I can stop by Saturday with a notebook and the digital camera. 

Let's see, 30 miles each way, thats 3 gallons of gas and about a 6 pack of beer... :smilielol:

Sweet!  Thanks!   :cheers:  I'll be glad to pay for a few 6 packs (of beer that is).  :yesnod:
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

learical1

I'm back from looking at the 500. 

First, a caveat: turns out I vaguely know the owner.  Back when I had all my Mopars, he came by the house.  His brother, fellow board member Moparchris, currently owns my old Hemi 500.  Sometime in the last 25 years, he briefly owned my early VIN V-code SuperBird.  I believe I'm impartial, but ...(he did by me lunch.)

A little bad news.  I get to his house and find out my wife drained the rechargeable battery in my digital camera.  So, I have no pictures.  However, the owner promises to join tomorrow (Sunday) and post some of his own. 

Now, the nitty gritty: It's a good, sound car.  Older repaint, and could use a new coat.  Yes, it does have the hood call-outs and even a 440 call out on the rear stripe.  Car has not been registered since 1992, so I couldn't drive it.  It started up fine, and backed in and out of the garage no problem.  Engine matched, I couldn't see the trans numbers.  The engine had headers, Edelbrock AFB, electronic ignition and Mopar Performance valve covers.  Owner has the correct carb, valve covers and factory exhaust manifolds. 

Interior looked very good.  (BTW, woodgrain shift knob.)  Aftermarket radio in dash, and an extra gauge on the column.  Rear package tray had speaker grilles, and I believe a defroster duct, but I don't remember seeing anything in the trunk, now that I think about it. Speaking of the trunk, there was a color matched front spoiler that the current owner removed from the car after he purchased it.  I kinda liked it and would put it back on.

Now the body.  I could see some rust bubbles behind the left rear wheel.  Overall the body looks straight.  The 'dimple' in the right fender is on the horizontal surface, immediately above the headlights.  I could feel it, but visually, I couldn't see it.  Top of left front fender has something weird going on.  Possibly old body work going bad.  I could see ovals in paint, almost like left-over residue after removing a decal.  Couldn't feel it, but you can see this as you look it over.  Probably the worst area it floor/trunk.  Both had rust(not a lot, maybe 4"x4" in front of driver, a little more in the trunk), both were 'quicky repaired' with fiberglass patches, but not 'correctly repaired' by replacing sheet metal.  Car is sound I'd have no problem driving it, but if you're buying this as an investment, you'd probably want to swap out the engine goodies, replace the radio (he has an incorrect AM 8-track and face plate), fix the rust and repaint.  But, as a driver, it's very presentable and looks good until you start hunting for the defects.  Last thing, the engine compartment was painted black, by a previous owner.  Well done, but incorrect.  Ask me any questions, and I'll try to answer as honestly as possible.

Final statement:  I think it's worth the asking price.
Bruce

nascarxx29

Id figure you have prior knowledge of the car from you area.Was it the club recorded car as this
L9B232008 Green on Green Automatic Phoenix AZ  listed July 79.Maybe Learical 1 will chime in that car is in his area.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

learical1

OK, so I skipped a few details.
Car was last registered in 1992 in Wisconsin.  Car still has Wisconsin plates.  Previous owned brought it to AZ in 1994-95.

I was planning on taking a picture of the data plate, but camera let me down, and I didn't have a pencil for a rubbing.  Darker green with matching interior, same as my old Hemi 500. 
Bruce

learical1

Bruce

69_500

Dave it is NOT 232008.

I did get the fender tag information from the seller the other night when I talked to him.

Learical1, a simple question you might be able to answer having seen the car in person.
Did the car have a 22" radiator? Unlike most cars the fender tag didn't read 26 before the END, and the only ones I've seen that one so far are cars with the 22" radiator. And like those other cars the car didn't have one of the axle packages either.

learical1

shoulda paid more attention!  :slap:

I BELIEVE it had the 22" radiator.  It has an 8 3/4 rear.
Bruce

69_500

I was planning on calling him back tonight and asking about that. If so it would be a dream for cruising, because that would mean it would have the 3.23 gears in it, which are much nicer on the highway than what I'm cruising around with.

69_500

And when your talking about rust bubbles in the paint are they as bad as the ones that are on my car?

Here is a picture of the lower quarters on my car.

runninhorn

69_500

From the way he was talking to me on the phone the othere night, he came accross as being pretty firm on the price. Might work a little, but he definately knows what he has, and how much they are worth. You will not steal this one, although in my opinion the price he is asking is a little lower than what the going rate for the car would be. I would say that he should have no problem at all selling the car for the listed price of $45k.

nascarxx29

Was the color changed from what was on the fender tag.As you described the engine compartment being blacked out

69_500

The color of the car is F8 green, hasn't been changed from what is on the fender tag. By the way Dave, the car being advertised isn't on the 1979 WW list of known cars. This of course is just a side note.

nascarxx29

210711 75 -79 archives is a starting point.And its on there  :yesnod:

learical1

Sorry about the delay, kids wanted on the computer.

Yes, he's pretty firm on the price.  I don't think he really wants to sell it, but he doesn't have much a choice.  He'll probably fill you in if you ask, but I'm not going to discuss his situation on the boards here.  I think it a good deal, not overpriced, but not a 'steal' either. 
The fender tag was black and appeared to be rivited to the inner fender.  Maybe a precaution against theft. 
Previous owner painted the engine compartment black, vehicle definately was green from the factory. 

Max bubble diameter on the 1/4 panel was about an inch, and only one that size.  3-4 others about a half inch. The bubbles dont extend more than 8-12 inches behind the wheel well.  they do NOT come close to the stripe.
Bruce

runninhorn

hemigeno

Quote from: runninhorn on February 17, 2008, 12:31:47 AM
So it's a #'s matching car? Manual or auto tranny?

:shruggy:

Quote from: RAC95054 on February 13, 2008, 04:28:01 PM
I spoke with the guy last night, and here are the main points:

F8 Green w/ green interior and white stripe
Console auto
65k original miles, with only about 7k miles in the past 24 years (read as, it will need so mechanicals done to make it road worthy)
Original motor, but not sure about tranny (I forgot to ask if it was an 8-3/4 or Dana)
Was repainted 24 years ago, paint it a "5 foot paint job" as he said
Interior very nice, and all chrome very nice
Has some rust bubbles behind rear quarters, and an approx 4" hole in the drivers side floor pan, trunk was repaired, but he said it should probably be replaced.

runninhorn

thanks so i guess its safe to assume its a #'s matching car?

how many 69 500's were made?

runninhorn

hemigeno

Quote from: runninhorn on February 17, 2008, 12:49:21 AM

Quote from: runninhorn on February 17, 2008, 12:56:14 AM
so I take it this car would be a great investment? :icon_smile_cool:

Why do you want to buy a 500 - or any Aero car for that matter?  Is it just an investment? 

:rotz:

runninhorn

Quote from: hemigeno on February 17, 2008, 01:27:53 AM
Quote from: runninhorn on February 17, 2008, 12:49:21 AM

Quote from: runninhorn on February 17, 2008, 12:56:14 AM
so I take it this car would be a great investment? :icon_smile_cool:

Why do you want to buy a 500 - or any Aero car for that matter?  Is it just an investment? 

:rotz:

to enjoy and drive the wheels off and at the same time watch the value go up! :cheers: