News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Windshield Seal

Started by Chatt69chgr, February 12, 2008, 09:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

I'am looking to buy one.  My original windshield is OK.  Was planning on using it.  Have heard there is possibly some thickness difference with replacements.  I have been looking at the Metro Moulded Parts windshield seal, P/N VWS2701.  Costs around $101 retail.  Has anyone used this and what was your experience.  Any issues with chrome trim attachment?  Thickness of glass?  I can't find anyone but Metro that has this item so far.  Anyone know where to buy at discount.  Rock Auto doesn't carry the windshield seal but they have all the other Metro weatherstrip pieces for a 69 Charger.  I 've heard that Metro is the best compared to Soft Seal and Steele.  Note that Metro's items are Sofsseal.  Kind of confusing with the Softseal product.  Thanks.

charger2fast4u

the ppg windshields are thinner then factory. i bought the gasket from year one for $75 if i remember correctly my windshield leaks at the bottom corners. i was told to either buy a thicker windshield or buy a new gasket that matches the thinner one. if i were you i'd save some trouble if your windshield is still good just buy a replacement gasket.

moparjohn

It's true, I went out of my way to get a PPG glass (to match) and the windshield leaks badly!
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

bill440rt

I was told that the current PPG windshields are actually made in China.
:Twocents:

I bought a Pilkington windshield that's going in my '69. If you're not worried about date codes & correct markings, then this is the one you want. It is nice & THICK, just like the original. If you're doing a "numbers" resto, then you might want to look into some of the repro correct dated/marked ones. I also picked up a repro gasket.

I bought a Metro weatherstrip kit for the '69 as well. Everything is made nicely, even the trunk weatherstrip has the correct "lip" on it like the originals did. The "generic" repro's do not have this lip.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Ahh yes the dreaded windshield leak....see the pics below for MY fix  :eyes:

Note---small piece of chamois for light drizzle only....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Ahhhh...
How could we forget such a perfect weekend???
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

charger2fast4u

if you have a ppg windshield what gasket do you need to buy and from who?

bill440rt

I don't think it's the gasket that's the problem, it's the windshield.

With the gasket you have 2 choices: OEM, or repro. I think these are still available thru Chrysler, at least they were a few years back.
If there are several different types of repros, I am unaware of the differences. Mine came in a green plastic bag, it is made by Precision. I don't know of any other manufacturer making these.

Best suggestion I can make: call the aftermarket weatherstrip companies (Soffseal, Metro, Steele, etc) & ask them which brand they carry, or if they are Precision gaskets.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mine is a PPG that I had installed 10 years ago with what I believe a repro gasket from Year One....it started leaking 10 years ago :rotz:
because of my lazy azz and the fact that I REFUSE to take the trim off again, I will continue to chamois, tarp when the need arrives :nana:

BUUUT if anyone comes up with a solution to the PPG/gasket dilemma, I'd be glad to hear it! :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

I just called Metro and asked about their windshield seal.  They said that they didn't know about the different thickness glass.  But------they didn't have any of the windshield seals in stock so they guy I talked to surmised that they got this part from another vendor.  Additionally, the guy at rpm restoration parts said that he didn't think anyone except Precision had this seal.  So he figured that Metro got their part from Precision.  I looked up a windshield seal on Steele Rubber's site and couldn't find one.  I don't know about Softseal.

Does anyone have the Mopar part number for the original windshield seal for a 69 Charger?   I would like to see if Mopar still has any of these.  I need one for my original front windshield.

bill440rt

Year One used to carry the original ones, not sure if they still do. They used to have both listed in their catalogs.
I installed an original one on my '70, & purchased it from Y.O. years ago. I can tell you that the rubber is firmer on the originals. The repros are a softer material.
Check Y.O to see if they still carry the originals.
Good Luck!  :2thumbs:

charger2fast4u

so there is no fix to the ppg windshield leak? no gasket from anyone will fix this problem? bill440rt how much was your replacement windshield from pilkington? i looked on there website and i have to call for any information.

bill440rt

Quote from: charger2fast4u on February 13, 2008, 06:48:29 PM
so there is no fix to the ppg windshield leak? no gasket from anyone will fix this problem? bill440rt how much was your replacement windshield from pilkington? i looked on there website and i have to call for any information.

I got my Pilkington windshield from Auto City Classic out of Minnesota, 763-444-5880. They were at the local swap meet here in Englishtown, NJ. YES, they traveled here all the way from Minnesota!!  :o   I didn't want something like this shipped, & paid $169 + tax.

I think PS Auto Glass sells windshields on eBay, but they are $250 shipped. Not sure what brand, though. All things considered, I think I got it for a good price.

I can't say for certain that there is NO fix for you, but there is a certain way these windshields get installed in these cars. There is a sealant that MUST be applied along the lower pinchweld on the cowl & windshield base. It stays gooey. If your glass guy does not know the proper way to install these windshields, get a different glass guy. I spoke with a local guy here, he knew exactly the procedure how to install them in these cars. Perhaps it was installed with the incorrect adhesive, or NO adhesive??  :shruggy:  That may be the cause of your leak?

If you come up empty handed in finding a gasket that will work, then as a LAST RESORT look to replace your windshield AND gasket.
Good Luck, dude.

y3chargerrt

I got the Piklington glass and repro gasket with no leaks at all,,knock on wood.The resto shop that painted my Charger has a glass guy they always use. I guess hes good.

Charger-Bodie

I personally prefer using a nice original gasket to any of the aftermarket ones.  :Twocents:

Bill is right on about the liquid butyl on the bottom of the seal. Some of the glass guys actually use the liquid butyl on the pinch weld and the channel that the glass goes in as well. Ive taken some out that were done this way and let me just say, its a real pita! but they usually don't leak.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

charger2fast4u

I can't say for certain that there is NO fix for you, but there is a certain way these windshields get installed in these cars. There is a sealant that MUST be applied along the lower pinchweld on the cowl & windshield base. It stays gooey. If your glass guy does not know the proper way to install these windshields, get a different glass guy. I spoke with a local guy here, he knew exactly the procedure how to install them in these cars. Perhaps it was installed with the incorrect adhesive, or NO adhesive??  :shruggy:  That may be the cause of your leak?

the leak isn't between the gasket and channel the water go's down between the gasket and windshield and comes out on the other side of the gasket and windshield and drips down my dash onto the floor. i'm looking for a new gasket made to match the ppg glass anyone know where to find one?

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree:

Thats exactly what happens with mine
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

I checked Year One's website and they only show the repop (manufacturer unknown) windshield seal. 

So----------since it appears the Precision windshield seal is the only one being manufacturered is it the correct one to use with my original front windshield.  I assume that it is since I am hearing that the thinner PPG windshield leaks when using it.

And does anybody know how to get hold of whoever manufacturers the Precision Seal?  Surely, they would want to have a second product that is correct with the new PPG glass.  Maybe nobody has told them their current product has problems.  I looked on the web but couldn't figure out who and where this company was and how to contact them.

smasherofall

I bought the Year-One one a couple months ago and it came in a Precision wrapper, hopefully it won't leak with my original windshield   :yesnod:

Chatt69chgr

I'am going to order the Windshield Gasket (made by Precision) from RPM Restoration Parts.  (http://www.rpmrestoparts.com/).  He has the window whisker kit that is considered the best(8-pieces) so I will be ordering that from him too.  I'am going to order the rest of the weatherstrip from Rock Auto.  They have the Metro parts and the best price I could find.  Everything I have read leads me to think that the Metro product may be the best choice.  Gasket wise (with exception of the windshield gasket) I ordered and got the complete gasket kit for a 69 chgr from Detroit Muscle Technologies.