News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger vacuum reservoir can

Started by Mike Carter, February 14, 2008, 03:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carter

I'm restoring my 69 Charger and, although the manual shows a reservoir can located under the battery, it is not on my car.  The vacuum lines in that area do not appear that they were ever even connected to a reservoir.  The light doors work without the can, so is it really necessary?  If so, where can I get one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike Carter
Merced, CA
dmikecarter@sbcglobal.net

Just 6T9 CHGR

Welcome to the site Mike :cheers:

The vacuum can acts as a reserve to store vacuum when the engine is shut down.  I think it can also act as a buffer for the headlight actuators so they don't slam open when vacuum is applied from the headlight switch.  Right now it sounds like you have then hooked directly to manifold vacuum.

These cans show up used on ebay all the time.  These guys were reproducing them as well....scroll down halfway to see them

http://www.officialdayclona.com/services
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mike Carter

Thanks for the help.  I hope I can return the favor sometime.

Mike

Chatt69chgr

Somebody else is also reproducing that can now.  I don't recall who.  I think it was discussed on here recently so you could probably find it with a search.  Also, I think I saw it in a recent Mopar magazine.  Maybe somebody else on here has seen this recently offered item for sale and can help identify the source.  I think it was cheaper than the dayclona piece.

mally69

I don't run a can and mine work. They kinda open slow at idle, but if the engine is reved up slightly they open alot quicker. Or better said if im driving down the road and flip my switch they open quickly.

8WHEELER

74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks Dan, I didn't realize CS was doing them as well :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

Another option, mid '90's Ford pick up trucks.

I was looking at my Father-in-Law's '95 F250 and we noticed that the vacuum canister looked very similar.

List at the dealer was $130.00 (more than the reproductions) but you may get lucky and find some in a salvage yard.

I bought these two in GA a few weeks back for $2.50 each.

When I have the chance, I'll fit the hoses on and see if it fits in the mounting bracket.  If it does, a light sanding, some primer and a coat of Eastwood's Under Hood black and I should be all set.

I'll let you all know how it works out.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Shakey on February 15, 2008, 08:31:56 AM

Another option, mid '90's Ford pick up trucks.

I was looking at my Father-in-Law's '95 F250 and we noticed that the vacuum canister looked very similar.

List at the dealer was $130.00 (more than the reproductions) but you may get lucky and find some in a salvage yard.

I bought these two in GA a few weeks back for $2.50 each.

When I have the chance, I'll fit the hoses on and see if it fits in the mounting bracket.  If it does, a light sanding, some primer and a coat of Eastwood's Under Hood black and I should be all set.

I'll let you all know how it works out.

Mike the bracket is welded to the can....Im sure something can be fabbed up though.  Thanks for the heads up :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

My 69 charger vacuum can bracket was not welded on.  It had little tabs that were mashed down to retain the can.  I bent them up and took the can off to get all the rust off it and the bracket, then repainted both and reattached the bracket.  They probably sourced these from various manufacturers and each one engineered it a little differently.

Shakey

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 15, 2008, 09:49:05 PM
My 69 charger vacuum can bracket was not welded on.  It had little tabs that were mashed down to retain the can.  I bent them up and took the can off to get all the rust off it and the bracket, then repainted both and reattached the bracket.  They probably sourced these from various manufacturers and each one engineered it a little differently.

Same here - the can is held in place with tiny tabs that I gently bent to get apart.

The valve looks a bit diferent but these two old gems can hold a vacuum.  I'm hoping the hoses fit nice and snug and the bracket fits properly also.  If not, as Chris had mentioned, I'll make something over at the shop.

8WHEELER

Quote from: Shakey on February 16, 2008, 09:04:12 PM
Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 15, 2008, 09:49:05 PM

Same here - the can is held in place with tiny tabs that I gently bent to get apart.

The valve looks a bit different but these two old gems can hold a vacuum.  I'm hoping the hoses fit nice and snug and the bracket fits properly also.  If not, as Chris had mentioned, I'll make something over at the shop.

Interesting, I have only seen the style that are welded on, at first I thought maybe it was a  68 thing, because
that is all I have. But a friend of mine has a couple 69's, and his are both welded on as well   :shruggy:  it
would make it easy to restore if you could take the bracket off.......

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Chatt69chgr

The one on my car is an original and I know this since my brother-in-law bought the car new and I got if from him.  It's interesting the things you learn about these cars.  I bet every car maker in Detroit got these cans from the same sources--------I doubt any of them made the can themselves.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Well I'll be!  Another item to debate! ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

Here are a few photos I took today showing an original vaccum canister and a pair of them off of the Ford PU.

A cloes up of an extra valve and a couple shots of the bracket and tabs.

mopar4don

Hey looks like a good idea if the hose connections fit? I found this canister for about $40
Shakey, did this work for you?

krops cars

If having the original can does not matter to you they make a small valve that does the same thing. They are about 1/4" round and about 1" long. I have put these on cars before. I can get you a part no. if you would like. These cans just hold vacuum they do not buffer for opening and closing.

I thought the can was there so you could cycle the headlights once after you shut the engine off, so you don't have to restart to operate them. Kind of like when you turn your modern car off and forget to put up the window.

Bronzedodge

I think you might be correct 440.  I can open & close mine at least once w/ the engine off.
Mopar forever!

mopar4don

Quote from: krops cars on August 30, 2018, 03:48:27 PM
If having the original can does not matter to you they make a small valve that does the same thing. They are about 1/4" round and about 1" long. I have put these on cars before. I can get you a part no. if you would like. These cans just hold vacuum they do not buffer for opening and closing.
Yes I would be interested, please send the part number for that valve
Thank you

krops cars

krops cars

Sorry I could not find the line card. Here is the part numbers I would use. Dorman 47149 GM 14047619. This should get you what you need.