News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timng to far advances cause over heating?

Started by cudaken, October 07, 2005, 05:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

OK, I am just a little confused. I use to believe that timing to far adavnces would cause over heating. Now I am not sure now. When I broke in the 440 I melted 4 spark plug boots, found timing was retarded much like me. Advances the timing and exhaust is cooler.

Did the retartred timing just rasie the exhaust temp do to gas still buring in the headers?

So am I confuesing exhaust temp with block temp?

I do know why timing to far advanced is bad, spark knock, crank's slow but does it rasie the block temp?

Cuda Ken
I am back

Plumcrazy

If you get the combustion started too late due to retarded ignition timing, the combustion will not be as complete when the exhaust valve opens. 
The result is hotter manifolds/headers.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Chryco Psycho

Plum is right , the late timing melted the wires & caused the excessive heat

myk

What's his timing set at?  How late is too late?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Plumcrazy

Quote from: myk on October 09, 2005, 04:44:31 AM
What's his timing set at?   How late is too late?

I run 17* initial, 35* total timing advance

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

cudaken

OK, let's foget about the exhaust temp, that problem is gone.

WILL TO MUCH ADVANCES make the block / water temp to high?

I AM NOT having a water temp problem. But I use to think to much advances would case the water temp to be to high.

REASON I POST this question is I have been nosing around in over heating posting. Have seen more than a few people told to much advances will cause over heating like I use to think.

Just want to know for general information.

Cuda Ken

Cuda Ken
I am back

Chryco Psycho

I have always seen a drop in both exhaust & water temp with the timing advanced , unless you are past 42* then it could heat up but it will also be running like crap

cudaken

Thanks Neil, that was the answer I was looking for.

Ken
I am back

myk

I'm still living off of the old Timing tech thread that was archived on the old boards-I've got my timing set at 20 initial, and it runs better.  It seems that the more retarded my motor is, the better it runs, but this is starting to get ridiculous.  I don't think I'll go past 20...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"