News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargen69

it would be cool if they let mrn or prn do the sound for tv.  Those guys make a boing race sound like the last race that is ever gonna run, with their intensity

JB400

I agree. Actually, I think you get a better idea of how the race is going on the radio compared to tv.

I hate seeing the race finish under yellow :flame:  I really wanted to see how the truck race would turn out :icon_smile_dissapprove:

TruckDriver

I actually thought Kyle Busch would be pissed off, but he took that pretty well finishing 2nd for the 3rd time.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JB400

There's always next year :popcrn:  Maybe, he's just testing himself for Sunday

TruckDriver

Well, Danica's car quit on her. Nothing she did. But she is out of the Nationwide race.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JB400

That sucks.  Of course, it happened while I was out.  Same way with Kurts' wreck.  Glad there's replays ;)

Wild finish in the Nationwide.  Kyle Larson's car got the motor ripped out of it.  It ended up in the fence.  Sucks that Stewart won again :icon_smile_dissapprove:

TruckDriver

HOLY CRAP!!!! This last crash almost like Carl Edwards a few years ago!!! The engine and a wheel in the stands!!!
PETE

JB400

Hope they get the fence fixed for tomorrow.  I see some chassis changes to keep the motors in the cars very soon

Hard to believe that happened

TruckDriver

The fence will be fixed. I'm sure they will have guys there 24 hours if they have to to fix it. as for the engines, in this case, with the whole front of the car being ripped off, there really is no way to keep that from happening.

Here it is if someone missed it. Again, the engine and one of the front wheels went through the fence onto the walkway in front of the stands. Still no official news if anyone in the stands was injured. All the drivers walked away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFS5yFdj4mA
PETE

Ponch ®

Allen Bestwick keeps doing the solemn "we're waiting to hear updates from the speedway and NASCAR..." That's usually not a good sign.

video...brutal.

http://jalopnik.com/insane-nascar-crash-at-daytona-ends-with-an-engine-near-398864966?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

General_01

Bummer about the spectators. Hoping nothing serious comes out of it.

Looks like Keselowski was making a winning move and Regan Smith put the block on him and the chaos ensued. Only good thing to come out of the crash for me is that Stewart was there to take advantage and win the race.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

JB400

Well, there are injuries unfortunately.  Seems like we will know more later on tonight.  Best of wishes for everyone :pity:

moparstuart

that engine sitting inside the fence was a very scary sight
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ponch ®

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on February 23, 2013, 04:39:41 PM
Well, there are injuries unfortunately.  Seems like we will know more later on tonight.  Best of wishes for everyone :pity:

yeah. can't be good because of where it happened. Right at the S/F line at the white flag. People are usually standing right on the fence to get a close look and/or walking on their way out.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

moparstuart

Quote from: Ponch ® on February 23, 2013, 04:43:15 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on February 23, 2013, 04:39:41 PM

yeah. can't be good because of where it happened. Right at the S/F line at the white flag. People are usually standing right on the fence to get a close look and/or walking on their way out.
i know if i was sitting there at the very least i would need to change my pants 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

JB400

It's kinda hard to realize it really.  Those engines and wheel hubs are tethered to the main chassis to keep stuff like this from happening.  I guess the tether straps were mounted ahead of the firewall.  Maybe they need to be thethered to the main roll cage.  Or, would that put the main loop in jeopardy?  They can't stregnthen the engine compartment too much, or it won't collapse upon impact, injurying drivers.

I guess catch fence improvements will be the next advancement in racetrack safety.

4-5 people injured due to a tire in the H stands.

TruckDriver

From USA Today..

"A tire came over the fence, and a lot of debris came up into the stands, where safety crews were working on at least five people, including four who were strapped to backboards. And at least two people were injured in the upper deck, where another safety crew with an additional two stretchers were sent."
PETE

400/6/PAC

Wow, That's terrible.
I hope the Fans are not injured to seriously.

nvrbdn

when they finally showed a good replay you could see the tire take off straight up in the air and hit somewhere behind the flag tower up in the stands. there were a couple other pieces of debris heading the same way.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

TruckDriver

I just saw that on Speed channel. They showed the tire going way up in the stands
PETE

JB400

One fan in surgery. 15 people injured total that went to the hospital.  Best of wishes to them. :pity:

Watching on Speed

Ponch ®

at least no one died (to our knowledge at this point)

JB400

Micheal Annette OK :2thumbs:  Still waiting for word on the fans :grouphug:

TruckDriver

Two fans said a guy in front of them was hit with a flying piece of steel in his head, then it bounced over them, and hit a husband and wife. Both men had head cuts to their heads, and the one fans wife had the piece of metal get lodged into her stomach  :rotz:

It is now reported by Nascar, all fans were stable when arriving at the hospitals.

28 injured total. 14 were treated in the infield hospital with minor injuries, 14 were shipped out to others. The car hit the wall where there was a crossover gate. 11 went to Halifax. 2 are in critical condition, one is a minor, the other with head trauma. 1 of those only is there for heat exhaustion, 7 for trauma, but all are stable

the wheel that went up in the stands, had the whole lower control arm assembly on it too. Kyle Petty said that whole thing weighs about 200 pounds with the tire, wheel, inner liner, brake assembly, etc. Speed also had video of the officials taking it out of the seating area. Was a LOT of metal there  :o
PETE

Aero426