News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

Quote from: A383Wing on November 19, 2017, 09:53:15 PM
Truex won the race at Homestead, and also won the Cup...great for him and his team..they deserve it

This is a good win for the sport. Truex ran consistently well all season, like champs used to do back in the day. Its also good to see a small team beat the JGR/Hendricks/SHRs for a change.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

A383Wing

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 20, 2017, 10:14:28 AM

This is a good win for the sport. Truex ran consistently well all season, like champs used to do back in the day. Its also good to see a small team beat the JGR/Hendricks/SHRs for a change.

:iagree:

I thought Kyle Busch was going to start crying when he was being interviewed just after the race for his second place finish......

TruckDriver

Quote from: A383Wing on November 20, 2017, 08:32:04 PM

I thought Kyle Busch was going to start crying when he was being interviewed just after the race for his second place finish......
:iagree: X2
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

RallyeMike

A good ending for the season. Congrats to the Truex team - a lot of people rooting for them including me.

Typical Kyle Bush :'(   pouting and blaming, contrasted heavily by the multiple following interviews by the true sportsmen who took the opportunity to thank their team, sponsors, family, and owners .....
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

wingcar

Truex and his team are the kind of Champions that NASCAR desperately needs to make things interesting once again.  Not a high dollar team with multiple cars that can throw money at their problems.  They have overcome so many issues and hardships, on their way to the Championship...truly earning the Championship...they never gave up........
This was the first race in a long time that I actually got excited about.....loved the last 20 or so laps.... 

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

303 Mopar

Quote from: TruckDriver on November 21, 2017, 10:12:38 AM

First champ west of the Mississippi and great story!  Typical Kyle Busch blaming others, the 22 for blocking him in this case, for is lack of skill. He had 17 laps with no one between him and the 78 and still couldn't pass him.  And no acknowledgement of Truex's driving ability or car performing well or congratulations.   :rotz:
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Chargen69

Truex driving ability??

where has that been all this time.  no offense, but if it was driver he'd been here before.  and i like him, dont get me wrong, I am glad he won that race, but the fact is toyota's apparent advantage helped him win so many times this year

Chargen69

didnt half of his wins come from this year?

JB400

Proof positive that Clint Boywer and Michael Waltrip Racing didn't need to cheat to make Truex a champion.

400/6/PAC

Quote from: A383Wing on November 19, 2017, 09:53:15 PM
Truex won the race at Homestead, and also won the Cup...great for him and his team..they deserve it

Agreed.
Great race :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Ponch ®

Quote from: Chargen69 on November 22, 2017, 05:30:46 PM
Truex driving ability??

where has that been all this time.  no offense, but if it was driver he'd been here before.  and i like him, dont get me wrong, I am glad he won that race, but the fact is toyota's apparent advantage helped him win so many times this year

I mean, who knows...is it the driver or the equipment? We can argue in circles about that for days.  Was Richard Petty really "The King" or was it the fact that during his peak his team had more resources than the others?

Truex spent the first decade+ of his career with mediocre teams. He got to DEI when it was already in decline and then he went to MWR, which was, well MWR. The equipment he had was good for a win or two a season, and thats what he got.

Sure, Furniture Row is kind of a JGR/Toyota satellite, but what he did is still impressive. Sometimes everything falls right into place - the driver gets in a "zone",  the crew runs like a well oiled machine, and the equipment is on point - and thats what happened.

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chargen69

JJ wins 8 in a year and everyone bashes him saying they are cheating

a likeable guy wins 8 in a year and everyone says its about time

::)

TruckDriver

It's always been that way though. Richard Petty is my idol. Dale Sr. I really liked a lot. But J.J. and Chad K are big cheaters. They were in their short track days as well, and were known for it.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

aerolith

Nascar is a wonderful forum for car builders but it now has no connection with the street cars!
Even the 1969 Dodge Charger 500 in my garage has no connection to the track cars of the day, except the exterior sheetmetal.

So what does a Moparman do these days for Nascar action?
Support a Toyota, as I sure won't support any other make of car, its the opposition of OLD!

Motor sport in general has gotten so far removed from its street driven counterparts.
I'm just happy to have seen motorsport 'as it was', not this gazzillion dollar/pound farce...
$100,000 for a smallblock engine and you don't even own it, its on LEASE?

Lets go back to the beach-course with dealer supplied cars and some beer-swilling rednecks driving them PLEASE... :pity:

Maybe a twenty five State prohibition will get us back to reality... :smilielol:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Petebell68

One of my next years trip will be to Watkins Glen with the boys going to bring the RV never been so hoping it will be fun .

odcics2

Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 22, 2017, 03:18:59 PM

First champ west of the Mississippi and great story!  Typical Kyle Busch blaming others, the 22 for blocking him in this case, for is lack of skill. He had 17 laps with no one between him and the 78 and still couldn't pass him.  And no acknowledgement of Truex's driving ability or car performing well or congratulations.   :rotz:

Jimmy Johnson was born & lives in CA.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ponch ®

Quote from: odcics2 on December 04, 2017, 12:23:54 PM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 22, 2017, 03:18:59 PM

First champ west of the Mississippi and great story!  Typical Kyle Busch blaming others, the 22 for blocking him in this case, for is lack of skill. He had 17 laps with no one between him and the 78 and still couldn't pass him.  And no acknowledgement of Truex's driving ability or car performing well or congratulations.   :rotz:

Jimmy Johnson was born & lives in CA.

I think he's talking about the race team, which is based in Colorado (I think?)

Otherwise, there have been plenty of Cup champs from west of the Mississippi - Gordon, Harvick, the Labonte bros, the Busch bros, and Johnson

TruckDriver

Richard Petty Motorsports, Richard Childress Racing to align

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-richard-petty-motorsports-richard-161113940.html?src=rss

"Richard Petty Motorsports will switch from Ford to Chevrolet, be aligned with Richard Childress Racing and relocate to the RCR campus in Welcome, North Carolina"
PETE

JB400

I highly doubt that the change will do them any good.

odcics2

Quote from: TruckDriver on December 07, 2017, 10:23:58 PM
Richard Petty Motorsports, Richard Childress Racing to align

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-richard-petty-motorsports-richard-161113940.html?src=rss

"Richard Petty Motorsports will switch from Ford to Chevrolet, be aligned with Richard Childress Racing and relocate to the RCR campus in Welcome, North Carolina"

Two wrongs don't make a right...   :Twocents:

And Danica dumped Ricky!!   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ponch ®

Quote from: JB400 on December 18, 2017, 07:07:37 PM
I highly doubt that the change will do them any good.

Theyve been aligned with some big names over the last 15 years or so, with no real results. So yeah, no.

JB400

Aero426

Very cool footage.     There is a very good book called "Driving with the Devil" which chronicles the pre-NASCAR era and focuses a lot on Parks,  Lloyd Seay and Roy Hall.

TruckDriver

Might start seeing Kasey Kahne racing sprint cars again. This is a decent read. Sounds like he is happy to get out of Hendrick's car, and is happy to be with his new team

Just one of Kasey's quotes "When I signed up, I wasn't (restricted) at all. They said I could do whatever I wanted and enjoy it," Kahne said. "A year later, I was restricted from everything and wasn't able to do that anymore. Last year, they were pretty cool about it. But it always felt like you were making somebody mad."

http://www.mrn.com/Race-Series/NASCAR-Sprint-Cup/News/Articles/2018/01/Kasey-Kahne-Ready-for-New-Beginning.aspx?src=rss
PETE

Ponch ®

Not NASCAR (technically) but it is stock car racing (ARCA). A friend/acquaintance, Jesse Iwuji, will be making his debut at Daytona in the ARCA 200 next month. He's an active duty US Navy officer who's been slowly but surely working his way up the ranks of racing, starting with the drag racing his daily driver SRT Challenger and Corvette, then stock cars at local NASCAR events, up to the K&N West series. Met him through our local Challenger club about 8 years ago when he was stationed in San Diego and have been keeping up with his adventures on social media and when I run into him at car events. I'm pretty excited...I think he's going places.

http://www.speedwaymedia.com/?p=131788