News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

Quote from: Aero426 on October 14, 2018, 08:01:59 PM
Quote from: JB400 on October 14, 2018, 07:30:50 PM
Well, with Almirola winning today, and doing pretty good this year, does that give indication of the actual performance of the team that Danica had, or is Almirola doing a better job of relaying what he actually needs from his team to get the performance that he needs to win?

SHR moved numerous crew people from the old 10 car around for this season, including a new crew chief.     Is the answer that the 10 car is performing better as a whole?     The answer is yes.    Is Almirola a better driver than Sparkle Pony?   I would say yes.   
:iagree:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Aero426

The King said it best about Sparkle Pony a while back.   His quote was:  "She can drive.   But she can't race."

Chargen69

Well, with Almirola winning today, and doing pretty good this year, does that give indication of the actual performance of the team that Danica had, or is Almirola doing a better job of relaying what he actually needs from his team to get the performance that he needs to win?

he is better than her, BUT he got lucky.  no way was he driving around kurt or kevin for that win

wingcar

Kasey Kahne's NASCAR career appears to be finished.   *IS finished.....

The driver announced Tuesday on Twitter that he has not been medically cleared to resume racing in the Monster Energy Cup Series, bringing a premature end to his final season on the circuit.

Kahne, 38, announced in August that he would step away from full-time racing after the 2018 season, with health issues a prominent factor in his decision. He said at the time he suffered from heat exhaustion at several races last year, and the situation came to a head at Darlington this September. He admitted following that race he was having a hard time keeping his eyes open during the final 100 laps, and he vomited after the race.

Kahne had hoped to run at least one more time in 2018 but that won't happen. He said in his statement Tuesday that he was not cleared by doctors after a test session last week at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

*Haven't seen much of him at the front of the pack for some time.........
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Aero426

Quote from: Chargen69 on October 15, 2018, 06:03:54 AM

he is better than her, BUT he got lucky.  no way was he driving around kurt or kevin for that win

Also true.     His only other Cup win was at Daytona was on a rain out.   

Talladega is historically a dark horse track.   It is refreshing to see someone other than the regulars win once in a while.     

The Stewart Haas 1-2-3-4 train was impressive.   

maxwellwedge

Not much of a race was it?

Mike DC

I'm surprised Kahne is retiring over heat issues in this era of cool-suited drivers. 

Aero426

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 15, 2018, 11:51:38 AM

Pretty clean and uneventful race.    Last lap with the four cars would have been interesting had there not been that last yellow. 

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Aero426 on October 15, 2018, 12:47:18 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 15, 2018, 11:51:38 AM

Pretty clean and uneventful race.    Last lap with the four cars would have been interesting had there not been that last yellow. 
True. It would have been really interesting if there were 2 lines.....but without carnage - if that's possible :)

wingcar

I had a discussion with a friend awhile back regarding the present state of NASCAR Racing since he was (and still is) a huge fan for many years.  I wanted to get his take on what fans today think about "Stock Car" Racing.

I myself have pretty much stop watching as my favorite drivers are no longer active.  Having said that, one thing I would like to see would be a change to the cars as they are today.  I understand that the "Green House" or "Cockpit" area of the cars were enlarged to enable drivers to exit and enter much easier...making it safer and quicker to get out after an accident.  So I have no real issue with this area of the car.  However, I would like to see the cars use the same front clip (bumper area, fenders and hood) that you would find on production cars as well as the rear area comprising the deck lid, quarter panels and rear bumper.   With, of course consideration given to mods for safety, such as front and rear spoilers, covers for headlights, etc.  This would help to do away with the "funny car" with decal look.  That way we could actually tell what kind of car it is and perhaps even relate to what we drive to the race.  I also like the idea that another member put forth, that of putting a limit on the total area that can be covered with sponsor logos.  This would make the cars look much cleaner, much as they did in the '60's.  It might also give manufacturers the incentive to build a car such as the Monte Carlo SS with its aero front end.  Giving us enthusiasts a car we can actually be excited about.  (No, I don't see anyone building another Daytona or Superbird).  That way it would be up to the manufacturers to build something that can both win on the high banks as well as on the showroom.   Just my two cents.....either way, NASCAR needs to do something to get people in the stands....or in front of the TV.   :scratchchin:

(Perhaps, shorter races that don't last four hours.........??)    :shruggy:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Aero426

Random thoughts in no particular order.

I think that no matter what NASCAR doe, someone will complain.   Because "it isn't like what it was in (insert decade here)."   

We have brand identity front and rear,  but a total fantasy between the cowl and rear bumper cover because of common templates.    "Gotta have parity for the show!"

I think the current cars look MUCH better than the twisted sister look of the early 2000's.   Those car looking back are grotesque.   

If I want to see production based Mustangs and Camaros race, I can see them in the Continental Tire Series (now owned by NASCAR).

I have accepted that the current Cup cars are McRacecars and that the toothpaste is out of the tube.   

While the on track cars are irrelevant to production,  Ford Chevy and Brand X are lots of TV time out of the deal.       Unless the manufacturers  lean harder for some additional relevancy,  I don't see much changing.    Heck, they are moving away from cars.   "Sedan" is now a dirty word. 

Mike DC

QuoteHeck, they are moving away from cars.   "Sedan" is now a dirty word.

Ford is quitting all sedans in the US market.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/26/ford-is-basically-giving-up-on-us-car-business-and-gm-is-not-far-behind.html

Going by the concept of the sport, NASCAR's top series should be running "crossover" minivan/wagon/SUVs.

JB400

What's Joey's odds of winning the championship this year? :D

Aero426

Quote from: JB400 on October 28, 2018, 05:54:24 PM
What's Joey's odds of winning the championship this year? :D

Notgonnahappen.com

He is screwed.

odcics2

Old timey racin' !!!!!!!

Go at it, boys!    :2thumbs:

Keeping with the 'old timey' theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meCZ5hWNRFU 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on October 28, 2018, 07:59:22 PM

Old timey racin' !!!!!!!

Go at it, boys!    :2thumbs:

Keeping with the 'old timey' theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meCZ5hWNRFU 

It was old timey.   Pretty good race.    I am no fan of JL, but glad to see the Brand X car get beat.   

maxwellwedge

I have always been a fan of everything Penske has done in all forms of racing over the last few decades....including being the last Mopar team to win the (insert name here) cup championship. So, that leaves JL to cheer for I guess. Blaney or BK would have been preferable.
Truex needs to stop crying. That was classic Martinsville. I do like Truex as a racer/person.

Aero426

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 29, 2018, 10:54:31 AM
I'm have always been a fan of everything Penske has done in all forms of racing over the last few decades....including being the last Mopar team to win the (insert name here) cup championship. So, that leaves JL to cheer for I guess. Blaney or BK would have been preferable.
Truex needs to stop crying. That was classic Martinsville. I do like Truex as a racer/person.

Agree.   

Martin may get his chance to even the score.   Even though Martin raced him clean, what Logano did was not particularly dirty.   But it certainly leaves the door open for a payback.     NASCAR had to love it.

Chargen69

I like penske pretty well, but seriously if JL is a champion over the big three that have dominated all year, I'll quit watching the three races that i do watch

TruckDriver

Quote from: Chargen69 on October 31, 2018, 06:48:31 AM
I like penske pretty well, but seriously if JL is a champion over the big three that have dominated all year, I'll quit watching the three races that i do watch

But Napscar will say "Everyone likes a underdog"  :smilielol:

Yes, but not a a$$hole underdog.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Chargen69

and people wondered why hardly anybody could touch them

TruckDriver

Quote from: JB400 on November 07, 2018, 01:47:45 PM
Truex joins JGR for next year:  https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2018/11/07/martin-truex-jr-cole-pearn-join-joe-gibbs-racing-2019/

:o I missed that somewhere. I'm no JGR fan though, but it is not surprising because him being a Toyota guy
PETE

JB400

Your final 4:  Harvick, Truex Jr., Kyle Busch, Logano.

Made for a good race today at Phoenix.

Prediction Harvick or Busch for champion.