News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

John Andretti still battling colon cancer after chemotherapy

https://sports.yahoo.com/john-andretti-still-battling-colon-190035169.html?src=rss

"I just ran out of ride tickets on the #chemocoaster," Andretti announced in a tweet. "We still have to deal with the cancer. Will know more following scans in a couple of weeks."  :'(
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TruckDriver

A.J. Allmendinger finds new home after losing Cup ride

https://sports.yahoo.com/j-allmendinger-finds-home-driving-173354647.html?src=rss

"Allmendinger and NBC Sports Group reached an agreement for the driver to be a part of the network's exclusive IMSA coverage and he'll also frequently contribute to the NASCAR America during the season as well."
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TruckDriver

Iconic NASCAR track Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway set for revival

https://sports.yahoo.com/iconic-nascar-track-nashville-fairgrounds-155802174.html?src=rss

""I believe with the help of SMI the track can return to its glory days. I couldn't be more pleased and excited for the future of the track."

Current stars such as Kurt Busch have recently called for NASCAR to return to its roots, with Nashville falling into that category and seen as a link to its early days.

If Fairgrounds Speedway makes a NASCAR return, it is expected to initially host Xfinity and Trucks series races rather than rejoining the Cup calendar."

[/quote]
PETE

Ponch ®

Quote from: Chargen69 on December 14, 2018, 09:03:03 AM
really??  Jeff??

https://sports.yahoo.com/rick-hendrick-wants-jeff-gordon-151056881.html

makes sense. he is already part owner and you would imagine he's built a ton of equity - both financial and reputational - in HMS. Plus, Hendrick doesn't really have an heir to take over anymore.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

JB400

I agree.  Supposedly, he's already part owner in JJ's ride, and was the one who picked Johnson to be in the ride.  He knows the sport from just about every aspect.  Pretty good choice I say

TruckDriver

:'( NASCAR Hall of Famer Glen Wood, co-founder of Wood Brothers Racing, dies at 93  :'(

https://sports.yahoo.com/nascar-hall-famer-glen-wood-071044675.html?src=rss

Glen Wood, a pioneering driver and co-founder of stock-car racing's longest-running team, died Friday morning. He was 93.

Wood's passing was announced by Wood Brothers Racing. Until his death, Wood was the oldest living member of the NASCAR Hall of Fame, inducted into its third class in 2012.
PETE

Chargen69

Quote from: JB400 on December 21, 2018, 01:53:43 AM
I agree.  Supposedly, he's already part owner in JJ's ride, and was the one who picked Johnson to be in the ride.  He knows the sport from just about every aspect.  Pretty good choice I say

I don't know that he knows the sport from every aspect or not.  my opinion is that Jeff for a long time only knew what his crew chief told him.  case in point, his commentary.  when he got out of the car and started talking on tv he let on how much he didn't know.  a whole bunch of tv time was spent with DW correcting jeff instead of calling the race.  it got old fast.

and having money doesn't always mean you know business.

TruckDriver

NASCAR to disqualify cars — yes, even the winner — for post-race inspection failures

https://sports.yahoo.com/nascar-disqualify-cars-yes-even-winner-post-race-inspection-failures-185828877.html?src=rss

"The sanctioning body announced Monday that it would start disqualifying cars who fail post-race inspection for significant violations. NASCAR has previously been issuing points deductions and fines to cars and teams who had failed post-race inspection. The change means a race-winning driver and team will officially have the victory taken away from them if the car fails post-race inspection."
PETE

odcics2

Quote from: TruckDriver on February 06, 2019, 07:04:10 PM
NASCAR to disqualify cars — yes, even the winner — for post-race inspection failures

https://sports.yahoo.com/nascar-disqualify-cars-yes-even-winner-post-race-inspection-failures-185828877.html?src=rss

"The sanctioning body announced Monday that it would start disqualifying cars who fail post-race inspection for significant violations. NASCAR has previously been issuing points deductions and fines to cars and teams who had failed post-race inspection. The change means a race-winning driver and team will officially have the victory taken away from them if the car fails post-race inspection."

What took them so long?????   :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

JB400

That's what they used to do.

Mike DC

Bill France got burned a couple times in the beginning of the league (1940s/50s) when people went home thinking one person won the race, and then it changed later.  It caused blowback and he decided it was bad policy.  So they only enforced penalties in other ways. 

In those days inspections & cheating were a smaller part of the sport in general.  It was a MUCH smaller rulebook, they ran mostly dirt tracks so the car's details didn't matter as much, etc.

wingcar

Looking for that "Unfair Advantage" has always been a big part of "Stock Car" Racing.  Crew Chiefs against Inspectors has always been a part of the sport that made it interesting.
I don't see it stopping, so it will be interesting to see what happens when one of the major teams is caught and has it's victory taken away........it will happen......
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Mike DC

QuoteLooking for that "Unfair Advantage" has always been a big part of "Stock Car" Racing.  Crew Chiefs against Inspectors has always been a part of the sport that made it interesting.
I don't see it stopping, so it will be interesting to see what happens when one of the major teams is caught and has it's victory taken away........it will happen......

Oh yeah, secretly modifying cars was always a big part of the sport.  The teams didn't do it any less 60-70 years ago.  The league just enforced fewer rules against it.  And the whole sport was operating with less precision.  Dirt tracks, slower speeds, sloppy assembly-line tolerances on all the parts, etc. 

The only reason why those early teams hadn't found all the modern ways to cheat on 0.1" yet, is because they were cheating in much bigger/easier ways and getting away with it.     

Ponch ®

Old School NASCAR Fans: "'cheating' and being 'creative' with the rules are inherent to the sport and part of what made it great. Blah to these new rules! They're ruining the sport!"

Jimmie Johnson fan: "damn, can you believe he's won 7 titles?"

Old School NASCAR Fans:  "please...he and his crew chief were cheaters and thus not deserving of any praise whatsoever!"
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Mike DC

Pretty much.

The sport's whole attitude about building cars and cheating is a contradiction at the core:  The racers should put together their own car, do it the best they can, but everyone should be racing the same stock cars and you shouldn't be winning with better equipment.   

"We encourage you to add 1+1 together but we don't want anyone having 2."

JB400

I wonder how much longer before Nascar just makes their own cars, and the teams just rent them from Nascar?  All Nascar is doing is raising the cost of racing with each rule change.

Mike DC

QuoteI wonder how much longer before Nascar just makes their own cars, and the teams just rent them from Nascar?  All Nascar is doing is raising the cost of racing with each rule change.

The audience would rebel if they did a standardized spec car.  Witness the backlash lately about the different brands' bodies getting too similar. 

That's what the IROC series was - a whole race of fully identical cars (supplied by the league) with only fine-tuning changes allowed.  It was never popular like NASCAR has been. 

The audience wants totally contradictory things.  They want the cars to have all the 'individualizing' moves.  Different bodies & engines for each brand.  Each team builds their own, looking for any edge they can find.  But the audience also wants exciting (read: close) races.  They get frustrated when any driver develops a big lead with better equipment.  That pressures NASCAR to keep the cars as even as possible. 

wingcar

Quote from: Ponch ® on February 07, 2019, 01:27:50 PM
Old School NASCAR Fans: "'cheating' and being 'creative' with the rules are inherent to the sport and part of what made it great. Blah to these new rules! They're ruining the sport!"

Jimmie Johnson fan: "damn, can you believe he's won 7 titles?"

Old School NASCAR Fans:  "please...he and his crew chief were cheaters and thus not deserving of any praise whatsoever!"

My all time favorite driver, and one of the most popular drivers of all time (sorry Jr.)......Richard Petty was caught more than once being "overly creative" with his cars.
But, no one ever said he was "not deserving of any praise"....ok more than one competitor back in the day wasn't overly happy with his winning ways.

It seemed that back in the day NASCAR was more concerned with the cars on the track matching the body templates as their main area of compliance.  (Thank you
Smokey and your Black and Gold Chevelle).  Is there an answer?  It seems as if NASCAR can't seem to find one.  Changing rules when one team starts to
dominate is like closing the barn door AFTER the horses got out.....and like it's been said....only adds dollars to a team's effort.

:Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents:

1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Chargen69

Quote from: JB400 on February 07, 2019, 07:32:56 PM
I wonder how much longer before Nascar just makes their own cars, and the teams just rent them from Nascar?  All Nascar is doing is raising the cost of racing with each rule change.

can anybody say IROC racing...  there wasn't enough money in it was there?

JB400

Personally, I enjoyed IROC.  Only issue I seen, was not enough drivers for a race.  It didn't showcase the full talent of the drivers, like it was intended to.

A383Wing

Well, JJ starts the new season off with a bang......if ya can't beat them, beat up on them to win

:flame:

birdsandbees

Yep, if yah can't beat'm .. wreck'm ! "I saw it was raining in the next turns, so I decided it was time to get to the front" !  :slap:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

A383Wing

Yea....I think Menard had that race won if JJ hadn't taken him out.....Paul didn't move his car at all until Jimmy hit him in the left rear and turned him

Chargen69

used to work pretty well for dale sr