News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Quote from: birdsandbees on February 10, 2019, 06:16:30 PM
Yep, if yah can't beat'm .. wreck'm ! "I saw it was raining in the next turns, so I decided it was time to get to the front" !  :slap:

Earnhardt say that?   :icon_smile_blackeye:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

A383Wing

Quote from: odcics2 on February 11, 2019, 04:22:38 PM
Quote from: birdsandbees on February 10, 2019, 06:16:30 PM
Yep, if yah can't beat'm .. wreck'm ! "I saw it was raining in the next turns, so I decided it was time to get to the front" !  :slap:

Earnhardt say that?   :icon_smile_blackeye:

No, Jimmy Johnson said that yesterday after he won the race in the interview

TruckDriver

Don't forget about the Twin Duel races tonight at 6pm eastern time. (about a half hour from now) On FOX SPORTS ONE.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

djcarguy

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :popcrn: :2thumbs:    GREEN FLAG  FEW MINUTES      :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

TruckDriver

I hope it is more exciting then the Xfinity race was yesterday. My god that was boring..
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JB400

Well, that sucks for the 95.  Had a great run going for such an under rated team.

odcics2

Damn Toyota won.  :flame:

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike DC

I get the feeling that Toyota's biggest mistake was coming into NASCAR and getting too good too fast.  

If they had started off terrible, spent 6 or 7 years working their way up, not running unpopular drivers, and kept their cheating busts below average . . . it might have gone over a lot better.  More people would be feeling like they had 'paid their dues' by now.  

Chargen69

I couldn't believe I had dropped to a new low.

I WAS ACTUALLY PULLING FOR KYLE BUSCH TO WIN.

anybody but JL... 

odcics2

Quote from: Chargen69 on February 18, 2019, 12:12:32 PM

anybody but JL... 

Really?   :smilielol:

A383Wing

I was rooting for Kyle or Denny to win, this was dedicated to the passing of JD Gibbs.....

I'll root for anyone as long as JJ, JL, or BK don't win

Bryan

Chargen69

Quote from: odcics2 on February 18, 2019, 08:07:43 PM
Quote from: Chargen69 on February 18, 2019, 12:12:32 PM

anybody but JL... 

Really?   :smilielol:

yes, I am ashamed to admit it to myself even.  when it looked like JL was destined to win, I heard that thought roll through my head, I'd rather Kyle win it

400/6/PAC

Anyone other then BK or JL.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 17, 2019, 09:57:44 PM

I get the feeling that Toyota's biggest mistake was coming into NASCAR and getting too good too fast.  

If they had started off terrible, spent 6 or 7 years working their way up, not running unpopular drivers, and kept their cheating busts below average . . . it might have gone over a lot better.  More people would be feeling like they had 'paid their dues' by now.  

Aside from Kyle Busch and occasionally Hamlin, they really weren't all that great for the first 6-7 years they were around (no championships, no Daytona 500 wins, etc) until 2015-2016..  And that's because their flagship team (JGR) was already a powerhouse. Red Bull Racing, MWR, and so on...they were all a shit show at best.  I'd say they paid their dues. Even if the Billy Bobs are still hung up on the "not 'murrican" nonsense.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

odcics2

Quote from: Ponch ® on February 19, 2019, 03:05:09 PM

Aside from Kyle Busch and occasionally Hamlin, they really weren't all that great for the first 6-7 years they were around (no championships, no Daytona 500 wins, etc) until 2015-2016..  And that's because their flagship team (JGR) was already a powerhouse. Red Bull Racing, MWR, and so on...they were all a shit show at best.  I'd say they paid their dues. Even if the Billy Bobs are still hung up on the "not 'murrican" nonsense.

Lot of the "Billy Bobs" left Nascar already.  
Letting Toyota in was a mistake and Nascar is paying for it with less attendance.  

https://jalopnik.com/the-daytona-500-is-sold-out-but-only-after-the-track-r-1823115572

And there were STILL empty seats in the upper tiers...

:scratchchin:

Ponch ®

Quote from: odcics2 on February 19, 2019, 05:44:10 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on February 19, 2019, 03:05:09 PM

Aside from Kyle Busch and occasionally Hamlin, they really weren't all that great for the first 6-7 years they were around (no championships, no Daytona 500 wins, etc) until 2015-2016..  And that's because their flagship team (JGR) was already a powerhouse. Red Bull Racing, MWR, and so on...they were all a shit show at best.  I'd say they paid their dues. Even if the Billy Bobs are still hung up on the "not 'murrican" nonsense.

Lot of the "Billy Bobs" left Nascar already.  
Letting Toyota in was a mistake and Nascar is paying for it with less attendance.  

https://jalopnik.com/the-daytona-500-is-sold-out-but-only-after-the-track-r-1823115572

And there were STILL empty seats in the upper tiers...

:scratchchin:

I doubt its Toyota. More than likely, the "novelty" of the mid 90's-00's wore off and there simply aren't any drivers who are marketable/likeable enough - there's really no semi-household name who can fill the "face of the sport" role like Earnhardt Sr or Gordon did.  Also, yeah, the racing is somewhat boring.

If Toyota hadn't come in when it did, esp. with Dodge pulling out and Chevy/Ford cutting back,  the sport may have died or actually become a one manufacturer spec series.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

odcics2

I personally know guys that gave up season tickets at MIS when Toyota got in...   :Twocents:

Yeah, Nascar has way more problems than that, though. 

How do they get folks back when there is a general lack of interest?

Saw a post once that said Nascar died when Dale Sr. did.

Some truth to that, perhaps?

JB400

I say it's partly true.  The introduction of the CoT really brought things down for NASCAR.  It was safer for the drivers, but it didn't put on that exciting of a show.  Plus, it didn't have enough brand identity to it.

Mike DC

Sports have peaks & valleys in popularity.  Lots of factors play into it. 

15 years ago NASCAR was at a high point.  Now it's in a deep valley.

Aero426

Quote from: JB400 on February 17, 2019, 06:27:46 PM
Well, that sucks for the 95.  Had a great run going for such an under rated team.

They are now a full throated Gibbs operation and should be competitive.   Gibbs cars.   Gibbs engines.    Gibbs personnel.    Think "Furniture Row East"

Aero426

Here's a neat summary of the race:  Start. Drone on. Pit stops. Drone on. Pit stops. Then continue droning on until Lap 190. Then it's run, crash, run, crash, red flag, run, crash, red flag, overtime, checkered flag. Done. And they call this "The Great American Race?"

Chargen69

Quote from: Aero426 on February 20, 2019, 10:26:58 AM
Here's a neat summary of the race:  Start. Drone on. Pit stops. Drone on. Pit stops. Then continue droning on until Lap 190. Then it's run, crash, run, crash, red flag, run, crash, red flag, overtime, checkered flag. Done. And they call this "The Great American Race?"

:cheers:

Ponch ®

Quote from: Aero426 on February 20, 2019, 10:26:58 AM
Here's a neat summary of the race:  Start. Drone on. Pit stops. Drone on. Pit stops. Then continue droning on until Lap 190. Then it's run, crash, run, crash, red flag, run, crash, red flag, overtime, checkered flag. Done. And they call this "The Great American Race?"

well that's another thing. Does anyone really want to watch a 400-500 mile/lap race that lasts 4 hours?  Sure, a car/driver that lasted a 500 mile race may have been a technological achievement in the 50s and 60s, but nowadays its "meh". Id rather watch a short race that is exciting vs. a long race that only warrants your attention for the first 10 and last 10 laps - with 3.5 hours of boredom in between. Of course, NASCAR and tv dont want to give up precious advertising time...

I dunno, if they can't cut a race in half bc of tradition and financial motives, then maybe they should consider turning them into heats, or breaking them up like they already do with the Duels. I mean, the whole "stage" thing theyve been doing for the last couple of years seems to be leading to that.

odcics2

The answer is:

Nascar Drag Racing

TruckDriver

Nascar figure 8 racing will bring viewers, lol.
PETE