News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Quote from: Ponch ® on September 26, 2019, 06:16:35 PM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 26, 2019, 04:55:04 PM

The sport's core demographic doesn't have any money to spend.  They haven't in over a decade.  That has a little something to do with it.  

What are you talking about? We have the best economy in years. Lowest unemployment rate, I tell you. Huge numbers. And it's only going to get better. You're not going believe it. Incredible. Best of all time.  

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:       :lol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

The big change with the new spec chassis car coming for 2021 will be devastating for the existing NASCAR industry.      In short, NASCAR is going to one chassis supplier (Dallara).    The cars will arrive in kit form and be assembled by the teams.     They will get a Five Star composite body (similar to truck and Xfinity).  It will have a transaxle and independent rear suspension.  Maybe, it will retain 5 lug wheels.    It is estimated it will put 1500 trades people out of work in the Charlotte area.    No more chassis fabricators,  no manufacturing of in-house parts.     No body hangers.     

JB400

Nascar is taking a big gamble with this spec car.  It's either going to bring closer racing or it's going to drive fans away.  Makes it hard to route for certain drivers though.  There will not be a Petty, Yarborough, Waltrip, or Earnhardt.

Mike DC

The spec chassis isn't a bad idea.  Seems like it would reduce costs.

Fans will bitch but their demands have never been realistic.  They ask for stock/hand-built cars.  Then they would complain when cars win races by 30 laps and only multi-millionaires could afford to drive them.   

But the cars really need to LOOK brand-specific on the outside.  You can't sell an illusion if you don't bother to keep up the illusion.  NASCAR is pretty stubborn about ignoring this problem.

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

RallyeMike

QuoteACUDANUT is gonna lose his shit if he sees this...

https://jalopnik.com/hybrid-nascar-could-be-here-as-soon-as-2022-1838950895

Well it's said the fans want "stock" cars.... after hybrids, next will be auto transmissions and lane assist steering.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ponch ®

Quote from: RallyeMike on October 10, 2019, 05:16:04 PM

Well it's said the fans want "stock" cars.... after hybrids, next will be auto transmissions and lane assist steering.

As along Android Auto works... :2thumbs:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

maxwellwedge

I'm happy for the 12....and for Penske.  :cheers:

JB400

It'll be really interesting if Penske can get all 3 teams in the final 4

TruckDriver

Quote from: RallyeMike on October 10, 2019, 05:16:04 PM

I will promise you, I will complete stop watching already boring Nascar is they do one or all of that.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: Ponch ® on September 26, 2019, 11:30:22 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on September 08, 2019, 01:17:14 PM
Empty grandstands at Indy.  Sad.

Did you see how many empty seats there were at Bristol? I remember just a few years ago how there was a 2 year waiting list to get tickets.

The tickets themselves might be cheap, but everything else isn't.

I quit watching NASCAR when the Dodge's/ Plymouth's left. First back in the 70's... then again back in the 2000's.
The same thing with NHRA Pro Stock.
You see, I've have always been the car fan first... drivers not so much.
Unless that driver sticks with Mopar.
My son calls me a car racist... I loath anything other than Mopar.
I suppose he's right.
But guess what... all he owns is Mopar's.  :icon_smile_big:   

wingcar

"NASCAR pushing to go full electric."

One of the reasons for attending a NASCAR race in person is for the sights and SOUNDS of the cars.  Without the roar of the V-8s you might as well stay home and just turn the volume down.  I guess I am just old and don't like change that much, but it appears as if each time NASCAR tries to draw in a younger crowd they lose more of those fans that made NASCAR so successful in the past.  Personally, I stopped watching the races years ago...now I just watch the beginning and the end of any races that interest me.  I feel as if I am wasting time if I sit in front of the TV for several hours when I could be doing something productive in the garage.

They lost me when the cars became all alike and only the decals make them different.  Back in the day you could pull for the driver that was racing what you had in the driveway...Not today. And yes I understand that it's unrealistic to actually race factory stock cars at the speeds they are now going...it would become something more akin to "Death Race", something NASCAR learned back in the 1960s.  But, is it asking too much to have manufactures race something that actually looks like what is sitting ion the showroom?   Plus, I no longer have a favorite driver since all the "old guard" have retired.  Richard Petty will always be my favorite driver.....

Perhaps NASCAR will have car owners install loud speakers on the cars with recordings of V-8s, since the electric cars will never sound as powerful.  :shruggy:

*Maybe some country artist should write a song about the "good old days" of NASCAR and how many long for those days............ :'(
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Aero426

So if you thought the COT from 2008 was "different",  just wait til you see the new car for 2021.    It will be a spec McNASCAR chassis with independent rear suspension and a transaxle.   All teams will do is assemble it.     No fabrication.     They will hang the spec plastic body.       Expect to see the hybrid component come in 2022.  

They will eventually add an electric hybrid component to the gasoline engine.      It may be a push to pass device.   But the car will still make noise.      This is being driven by the manufacturers demanding to use technology that is relevant to their street offerings.    

New manufacturer?   The hot tip is Honda, and it makes sense.     Honda and Penske have been involved in IMSA which is now owned by NASCAR.      With a generic chassis, it makes the point of entry easier for new manufacturers to come in.  

If you are an old school fan, all you can do is hold your nose.    Or walk away.  

alfaitalia

I agree about the noise of racing...but that does not mean the full electric racing can't be exciting. Go onto youtube and take a look at Formula E...pretty exciting racing and they actually have a sound that belongs in a sci-fi film. You watch the battery running down on the screen and they risk running down to very low battery levels before they change cars. It's not like real Formula 1...but far from boring. I can't see hybrids racing....all the manufacturers are really try to go full electric...as hybrid will never be the solution....It's the worst of both engine types. Full electric or stick with gas.....until it's outlawed.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

odcics2

Full electric racing??  Big deal!

I grew up with slot cars!   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

JB400

They should stick with alcohol and v8's.  I doubt anyone wants to watch a full bodied formula one car go around the track.  I will say at least F1 gives the manufacturers a little leeway in the design of their cars.

Mike DC

QuoteSo if you thought the COT from 2008 was "different",  just wait til you see the new car for 2021.    It will be a spec McNASCAR chassis with independent rear suspension and a transaxle.   All teams will do is assemble it.     No fabrication.     They will hang the spec plastic body.       Expect to see the hybrid component come in 2022.  

They will eventually add an electric hybrid component to the gasoline engine.      It may be a push to pass device.   But the car will still make noise.      This is being driven by the manufacturers demanding to use technology that is relevant to their street offerings.    

New manufacturer?   The hot tip is Honda, and it makes sense.     Honda and Penske have been involved in IMSA which is now owned by NASCAR.      With a generic chassis, it makes the point of entry easier for new manufacturers to come in.  

If you are an old school fan, all you can do is hold your nose.    Or walk away.  

Is the independent rear end confirmed?  I've heard a lot of "it's been discussed" but I haven't read any confirmation of it yet.  (If they do, I'm wondering what platform they took the IRS from.)

The spec chassis -
Right now the top teams in the sport can't keep their heads above water because of high costs.  Something major has to give.  This will help.  It would have been nice if they had given the contract to a local American outfit though.  

The body -
plastic . . . if it reduces costs significantly then okay.  If it's only marginally cheaper than steel then IMO It was a bad move.    

IMO the league is being idiotic about the appearance of the bodies.  For years people have asked for those cars to look closer to stock, and NASCAR just won't listen.  They change a few decals or the shape of a rear quarter window and they expect that to make a difference?  That's a joke.  There's a lot of room to bring the bodies closer to stock before they start getting dangerous at 200 mph.  NASCAR could offset the aero advantages between brands with restrictor plate & weight breaks (yeah, I know the evening-out wouldn't be perfect, but nothing ever is).  

I've never understood the big backlash against having Toyota or Honda on the track.  Nobody is required to cheer for them.   Racing can use villains as well as heroes.  The sport runs on rivalries.   

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: odcics2 on October 25, 2019, 01:31:57 PM

Full electric racing??  Big deal!

I grew up with slot cars!   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Yep.
My Aurora set that I still have, and set up when I get the urge...

odcics2

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 25, 2019, 05:59:56 PM
QuoteSo if you thought the COT from 2008 was "different",  just wait til you see the new car for 2021.    It will be a spec McNASCAR chassis with independent rear suspension and a transaxle.   All teams will do is assemble it.     No fabrication.     They will hang the spec plastic body.       Expect to see the hybrid component come in 2022.  

Is the independent rear end confirmed?  I've heard a lot of "it's been discussed" but I haven't read any confirmation of it yet.  (If they do, I'm wondering what platform they took the IRS from.)

The spec chassis -
Right now the top teams in the sport can't keep their heads above water because of high costs.  Something major has to give.  This will help.  It would have been nice if they had given the contract to a local American outfit though.  

The body -
plastic . . . if it reduces costs significantly then okay.  If it's only marginally cheaper than steel then IMO It was a bad move.    

IMO the league is being idiotic about the appearance of the bodies.  For years people have asked for those cars to look closer to stock, and NASCAR just won't listen.  They change a few decals or the shape of a rear quarter window and they expect that to make a difference?  That's a joke.  There's a lot of room to bring the bodies closer to stock before they start getting dangerous at 200 mph.  NASCAR could offset the aero advantages between brands with restrictor plate & weight breaks (yeah, I know the evening-out wouldn't be perfect, but nothing ever is).  

I've never understood the big backlash against having Toyota or Honda on the track.  Nobody is required to cheer for them.   Racing can use villains as well as heroes.  The sport runs on rivalries.  

Each team now has 15 - 20 cars PER DRIVER.  The cars are specialized, per type of track.
The need THREE cars: speedway, short track and a backup.   Period.  That would drop the cost !!

Tremendous amount of info on various threads on allpar.com
https://www.allpar.com/forums/forums/motorsports-racing-news.59/

Mike DC

QuoteEach team now has 15 - 20 cars PER DRIVER.  The cars are specialized, per type of track.

Is the number still that high?  FFS, no wonder NASCAR is taking action.  I knew the number was creeping up years ago.  But I thought the rulebook had gotten that habit under some control already.    

I'm surprised the teams can still find so many ways to weld a car together, given how tight the rulebook is now.  

Either way I'm not sure how anything is enforceable.  If they cannot write the rulebook tight enough to prevent a dozen variations of the hand-built cars, then I don't know how a spec chassis is going to do it either.  

odcics2

Just give each team 3 cars!  :D

Chargen69

watching the race yesterday with my mother trying to explain all the BS rules and the playoffs she said,
"well that's just stupid, the champion ought to be who wins the most races in a season, if you win a race you get a point, if not, you get nothing, the driver with the most points at the end of the season wins."

I like it

maxwellwedge

Quote from: KurtfromLaQuinta on October 25, 2019, 07:59:34 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on October 25, 2019, 01:31:57 PM

Full electric racing??  Big deal!

I grew up with slot cars!   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Yep.
My Aurora set that I still have, and set up when I get the urge...

Yes.
My first set was from Eldon....big scale.
Then Aurora ....was it called Model Motoring then?
Then it became Aurora A/FX I believe.
I think I still have a bunch of track somewhere.....

Aero426